Ice Cream. ICE CREAM!

Options

Replies

• courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I looked for a paleo/primal ice cream recipe online for a good while until I just gave up because they all called for an ice cream maker! Thank you for these!
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Oh, good lord. I made the coconut ice cream with cocoa and chocolate whey protein and ate a serve last night.
    You are my new god.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    awesome!! thanks so much!
    I am paleo but am allergic to eggs. any thoughts of what I could use instead of the egg yolks? Also, I am allergic to bananas so thats not an option either :(

Allergic to eggs, eh?

Hmmm... Now that is a tricky one. The egg yolks go a long way in making it creamy and preventing it from becoming a coconut brick. Are you against the idea of using vodka, instead? 2-3 tablespoons should do the trick.
    Oh, good lord. I made the coconut ice cream with cocoa and chocolate whey protein and ate a serve last night.
    You are my new god.

Ha! Well, I'm glad it worked out. :P

How was it with whey? To be honest, I've never tried it with it, myself; I've done raspberry, honey-vanilla and cocoa-almond, but never vanilla whey. What was it like?
  • amanda6393
    Options
    I used chocolate whey, it was fantastic. I actually divided the batch up into 4 serves in ramekins and covered them with cling wrap before freezing, but I found the ice cream had gone quite "icy" on the second night instead of being as creamy. Am thinking maybe I need a lid instead of plastic (and maybe turn the freezer down a bit!!!)
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oh, thank you so much! I'm really struggling with cutting out the little snack/indulgence foods, but this makes me feel a little better. I'll just have to be careful about how much honey I add.... great pictures, too. Thank you!
  • Vmg773
    Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump! All the ice cream recipes I've seen have called for an ice cream maker!
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    Gahhhh thank you for this!!!
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well I am headed to the store this weekend to get some ingredients to make the coconut milk one. It sounds soooo good and I was a Ice Cream lover for my entire life on this rock....haha

I will post up how it turns out! Might try some different things in mine also to give people more ideas. I already have one trick I am thinking of while typing this.....
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I made this last week and it was so good!

http://paleomg.com/sugar-detox-sweet-potato-ice-cream-toasted-walnuts/

I skipped the nuts since I can't tolerate them, but it was delicious nonetheless. It tasted like a cold sweet potato pie, which I guess might not appeal to everyone, but I was into it.
  • amanda6393
    Options
    Going to try making the coconut ice cream with coffee this week...
  • rhlnda
    rhlnda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ctopherSmith
    ctopherSmith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok, this really looks good. I can't wait to try them out.
  • MelanieSpicegurl
    MelanieSpicegurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks !!
    I have made the Coconut Cream " Dream Whip" and it was delish .. but I LOVE Ice Cream !!!
  • MiRatlhed
    Options
    This was great! I made the coconut milk ice cream and added a pint of fresh Blackberries to it and froze it. It had only been in the freezer for about 5 hours and the middle was still runny. So it really does need a good 6 hours in there. But it was great! Topped it on a banana and some shredded coconut on top and had my first real dessert since going Paleo.

Thanks man!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm interested in making the coconut milk ice cream but I have coconut milk that doesn't look like that. Mine is a box of coconut milk and it is not as thick. Do you think it would work or should I not waste my time?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    This was great! I made the coconut milk ice cream and added a pint of fresh Blackberries to it and froze it. It had only been in the freezer for about 5 hours and the middle was still runny. So it really does need a good 6 hours in there. But it was great! Topped it on a banana and some shredded coconut on top and had my first real dessert since going Paleo.

Thanks man!

No probs - it was my pleasure. :)

You may find the ice cream is a lot harder the next time you get at it, though, so I'd recommend leaving it out on the counter for a few minutes (maybe up to fifteen) to let it defrost a bit. I made a batch for the week and, well, it was like a brick when i tried to serve it. I might experiment with adding a small dash of vodka; hear it preserves it.
    Hi. I'm interested in making the coconut milk ice cream but I have coconut milk that doesn't look like that. Mine is a box of coconut milk and it is not as thick. Do you think it would work or should I not waste my time?

...I have absolutely no idea. Sorry. :/

I've seen the stuff (I think) that you're talking about - could you perhaps tell me the fat and calorie content? The more fat in the milk, the creamier it'll be.
    As for whether or not you should "waste" your time, I would say - yes, by all means! - "invest" :P your time into making it. Who knows? It could work, at worst you'll have a coconut sorbet kinda thing.
  • MiRatlhed
    Options
    You may find the ice cream is a lot harder the next time you get at it, though, so I'd recommend leaving it out on the counter for a few minutes (maybe up to fifteen) to let it defrost a bit.

Yep, even the edges were quite hard compared to the runny middle. Good advice to let it sit out a bit.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options

Thanks man!

No probs - it was my pleasure. :)

You may find the ice cream is a lot harder the next time you get at it, though, so I'd recommend leaving it out on the counter for a few minutes (maybe up to fifteen) to let it defrost a bit. I made a batch for the week and, well, it was like a brick when i tried to serve it. I might experiment with adding a small dash of vodka; hear it preserves it.

...I have absolutely no idea. Sorry. :/

I've seen the stuff (I think) that you're talking about - could you perhaps tell me the fat and calorie content? The more fat in the milk, the creamier it'll be.
    As for whether or not you should "waste" your time, I would say - yes, by all means! - "invest" :P your time into making it. Who knows? It could work, at worst you'll have a coconut sorbet kinda thing.

Calories are 80 per 1 cup. And fat is 4.5 grams per cup. Still sounds delicious and think I'll give it a go.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    Bump?