First Marathon Sept 21st

Options
joehempel
joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
Well I went ahead and did it! US Airi Force Marathon 2013!

If I didn't sign up and pay for it, it would have never happened. I just entered my first marathon. March 17th will be my 4th half-marathon, this one's just for fun, only trained for 19 days for it....and hopefully I'll keep up the miles and slowly build up to running 23-24 miles in my training.

Someone on here (I think it was arc918), had the good idea that it's probably good to run over 20 in your training to know what it feels like before your marathon. Most training plans only have me going 20 at most.

Pretty sure I have plenty of time to get this party started!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Hope you have a great marathon!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Good luck Joe!

As far as longest run, I do best with 21 maybe 22 if I'm feeling really good out there. The trick is not to go so long that is mucks up the rest of your training for the week. So it become a little trial and error once you get a handle on how well you recover from the long stuff.

Happy training!
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good luck Joe.

Personally, having run my first marathon last year I think running over 20 at some stage in your training is an absolute must. Preferably a few long slow runs around 18 to 22 mile range.

I'm running my second in October and I plan to do quite a few runs over 20 but well spaced out. I had also run about 4 or 5 half marathons before my first marathon but for me you need to get to that 3 and half hour mark and past to give yourself confidence and help you prepare.

Listen to the pros here more than me. It seems to be the concensus that over 22 miles doesn't really contribute to your training.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

I'm pretty excited, but pretty scared that when summer comes along I won't be able to keep up my training with kids out of school.

I'm hoping that it will be okay though.