taking levothyroxine later in the day?

Options
stonel94
stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
So, on weekdays at school i either wake up at 8 or 9:30 and I take it right when I wake up, but on weekends often I will sleep till between 11 am and 1 pm, I still take it right when I wake up, but is this bad becuase it's so late in the day (especially for like saturday cause I took it at 8 am the day before and then not taking it till 12 pm the next day...), at least between saturday and sunday it's about the same time

Replies

• allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My doc told me that the important thing is to take it on an empty stomach ( so more or less three hours from your last meal ) and then wait at least half an hour before your next meal. The time of the day is not so important apparently although some people say that in the morning the absorption is better.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    If you're on a synthetic T4-only med like Levo or Synthroid, then timing really isn't an issue. T4 is a slower acting hormone, that your body then converts into T3 (the "active" hormone).

So I wouldn't worry about timing. I agree with the above poster that it's more important to take it on an empty stomach.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I've been on levo for over 8 years. I have taken it at all times of the day, but the only time I see a difference in how I feel is when I miss two days in a row. As long as you take it every day, when ever you can, you are good.
  • katieinwaiting07
    Options
    has anyone had luck losing weight on synthroid for hypo? I find it very difficult. im on 75mcg and just had blood work done to see if i can up the dosage. What were your dosages/weight loss results?
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options
    has anyone had luck losing weight on synthroid for hypo? I find it very difficult. im on 75mcg and just had blood work done to see if i can up the dosage. What were your dosages/weight loss results?

I'm currently on Synthroid - 0.25mcg/day because my Dr. won't up my dose (whole other story for another day). I find losing weight is difficult and its a very slow process. My last blood work tested at 2.67 and my Dr. won't change my meds, even though I still feel hypo - so that might be one of the reasons that weight loss is so slow for me. However, since I've added coconut oil to my diet, I've seen the scale start moving.

What I've been doing is taking 1 tbsp coconut oil in the morning with coffee. I will eat one other small protein for breakfast - like a babybel cheese. Lunch and dinner are high protein, low(ish) fat and low carb. Since I've stuck with that schedule, the weight has been slowly coming off - for several weeks I was losing 1-2 lbs/week, but then I plateaud for 2 weeks with no loss.

I was eating less than 1200 cals/day, so worried about starvation mode. Have increased my food intake to 1200/day (but I do not eat back my workout cals). Have found that the weight is slowly coming off again. Have lost 1.5 lbs since increased carb intake to 1200/day last week.

It's still very early for me, but I'm hoping that this will continue to work, as there is nothing worse than working your butt off without any results.

Good luck to you!
  • stonel94
    Options

Well I started on the same dose of levothyroxine, and it wasn't enough, they upped it to 88 mcg, and that worked great, and then they sent me synthroid isntead of levothyroixine, and I demanded to get back on levo cause I just didn't want to switch cause different types/brands aren't made exactly the same and they absorb differently, I had already read mixed reviews on synthroid...so I've heard that it's really best to stay with what you have so as kind of not to confuse your body. So I would say wait to do anything untiil you get your blood results back and if you want to switch brands later then try to do that.
  • stonel94
    Options

I'm currently on Synthroid - 0.25mcg/day because my Dr. won't up my dose (whole other story for another day). I find losing weight is difficult and its a very slow process. My last blood work tested at 2.67 and my Dr. won't change my meds, even though I still feel hypo - so that might be one of the reasons that weight loss is so slow for me. However, since I've added coconut oil to my diet, I've seen the scale start moving.

What I've been doing is taking 1 tbsp coconut oil in the morning with coffee. I will eat one other small protein for breakfast - like a babybel cheese. Lunch and dinner are high protein, low(ish) fat and low carb. Since I've stuck with that schedule, the weight has been slowly coming off - for several weeks I was losing 1-2 lbs/week, but then I plateaud for 2 weeks with no loss.

I was eating less than 1200 cals/day, so worried about starvation mode. Have increased my food intake to 1200/day (but I do not eat back my workout cals). Have found that the weight is slowly coming off again. Have lost 1.5 lbs since increased carb intake to 1200/day last week.

It's still very early for me, but I'm hoping that this will continue to work, as there is nothing worse than working your butt off without any results.

Good luck to you!

why won't he up the dose? (I'm ready for the whole other story)
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options
    [/quote]

why won't he up the dose? (I'm ready for the whole other story)
    [/quote]

Well, seems like I've fallen into the same trap as many people with thyroid problems. My doctor will only test for TSH and only when reminded. Even though I'm still in the first few months of treatment, she has only tested me post-diagnosis twice, and only because I've requested the blood work.

My TSH came back at 2.67. I told her that I wasn't feeling well, and in fact my TSH had increased (from 2.10) from my last test. When I pointed that out, she gave me the same response that I hear from other people that anything under 5 is within the normal range, so I should just try to get more rest and maybe take some B12.

I had to go visit my Naturopath and explain to her that my Dr. thinks 2.67 is fine (even though it's increasing) and that my Dr. won't test Free T3 and Free T4. Naturopath gave me a requisition to test TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 and will help me with supplements if its found that my body is having trouble with the conversion. But if the levels are really off, it may mean that an increase in the Synthroid dose is required, which my Dr. won't give me...so I'm just frustrated with the whole process.

When I asked my Naturopath why doctors won't test T3 and T4, she said it's likely due to their training - they were taught that testing for TSH was good enough and that there is no medical reason to test anything further. Frustrating! And it's not exactly easy to go to your doctor and tell them that your Naturopath doesn't agree with their diagnosis...I sense that my doctor gets defensive about my Naturopath giving my health advice, so it's an interesting balance. Blah...anyways - looking forward to seeing what my next test shows!
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options
    So, on weekdays at school i either wake up at 8 or 9:30 and I take it right when I wake up, but on weekends often I will sleep till between 11 am and 1 pm, I still take it right when I wake up, but is this bad becuase it's so late in the day (especially for like saturday cause I took it at 8 am the day before and then not taking it till 12 pm the next day...), at least between saturday and sunday it's about the same time

By the way - on weekends I set an alarm on my phone to wake me up at my normal weekday time. I take the Synthroid and then go back to sleep. I find this helps for me because I love to sleep in on weekends and find that if I sleep til 10 or 11, I wake up so hungry that I don't want to take my pill and then have to wait an hour to eat. So this is what works for me.
  • stonel94
    Options
    So insist on it, it's not abnormal to only be tested twice in the first few months, I've only been tested like 3 times I think, and it's been like a year now, just say i want T3, T4, and TSH tested, you can request that and they can't really say no....just say I want the test done, you'll probably just have to pay for it out of pocket. Or switch doctors?