Change is bowels after GBS?

Options
ErinShannon
ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
Sorry for the delicate subject nature....

Anyone else having changes in bowels after the surgery? I am 5+ months out and it's been this way pretty much from the get go. Is this typical?

Replies

• JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Same question! As in decrease in movement?
  • ErinShannon
    Options
    Not here...umm...change in consistency ...very loose...
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Mine changed as soon as I started the low fat and liquid diet before the surgery. Severe constipation that sees no relief with anything, including stool softeners, fiber, laxatives, or enemas. Doctor finally put me on Miralax, but have trouble with it because it is propylene glycol and affects kidneys and I am a type I diabetic. Has gotten to the point that they are talking colostomy. :(
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm more like Ann. But not to the point of a colostomy!
  • ErinShannon
    Options
    I am barely making it in time sometimes - just hits me and it's like a mad dash to run and get there in time. :-(
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Better to be pooping than puking...sounds like your dumping symptom. Hard to tell since your diary is closed and can't see what you are eating. May want to change up your foods a bit..any hidden sugars in what you are eating?
  • ErinShannon
    Options
    I've been this way since day 1 out ...very loose stools - heaven forbid I pass gas because it won't just be gas if you get my drift. In the past I've had problems with IBS - not sure if the surgery has kicked it up a notch or what. Meant to ask my surgeon on Monday but totally forgot.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I also have the opposite problem. Nothing but constipation since surgery. Sometimes it's so bad I think about giving myself a C-section.
  • Multifacet
    Multifacet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry Erin. I suffered with IBS for years. Honestly I think it was the Metformin I took. I know where every bathroom is in the southeast! The doctor switched me to liquid Riomet (metformin) after surgery and now, with all the protein, I have the opposite problem.

I agree about your diet possibly being the cause. Give us an add so we can give you some suggestions. The support is great here!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    So sorry :( I tend to go the other way...very easily constipated if I dont stay on top of my fluid intake
  • ErinShannon
    Options
    I do not open my food dairy as I use the "notes" section to record some other personal health information that I have no intention of sharing with the world.

A typical day for me might go as follows:

Protein Shake with skim milk for breakfast.

3oz of chicken breast grilled with a tablespoon of green beans and tablespoon of squash for lunch.

2oz of whole wheat spaghetti with 1/4 cup of meat sauce for supper.

(this is just an example - these are all things allowed to eat per my surgery center)

As I said I've had issues with my bowels for years but it seems to be a bit more pronounced since the surgery. I do have days where I'll end up constipated if I don't drink enough but those are fewer then the days of super loose bowels.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Miralax 3-4 times a week and Colace 2xs a day to ummm...function. :embarassed:
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Totally get why you are not sharing as we have talked about that before. Maybe a call to your docs office can provide you some guidance. Is your NUT still available to consult with you? Maybe they can suggest some other foods you can add in to help you. Hope you can find a reasonable solution soon!
  • dolphintattoo
    dolphintattoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am not a GB patient, but as a lap bander I have similar issues, and have since starting the liquid pre-op diet. It was so bad after surgery that the doc put me on immodium to avoid dehydration. My doc suspects there is a change in the way we process dairy after surgery (I think this would apply to either surgery) since it can impact our enzymes and makes us a bit lactose intolerant (for some people not everyone). If I drink a protein shake more than once a day, I NEED to be near a bathroom because it will come rushing back out without warning.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    nope, I struggle to keep my fruit, fiber and water up so I don't get constipated which seems to be my default problem.
  • wheresheidi
    wheresheidi Posts: 213
    Options
    The constipation is killing me. I'd much rather have diarrhea.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Me too...it is really bad this week...to the point that I am actually bloated and 4 pounds heavier! *drinking water like a crazy person*
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Odd. I had the worst constipation yet the past few days, and took milk of magnesia for the first time since a couple of weeks after surgery. Actually started worrying me.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Nope. My consistency has gotten much better. I feared I had IBS pre-RNY. Now my stools are normal.
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks out and still have major constipation problems. I use Miralax 1x a day, but it's not helping much. I'm gonna have to start something else. I can't take it anymore. I also only have a BM every couple of days. This has been very hard on me.