Saturday's Shocking Discovery - My Success Story

Options
AprilRenewed
AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
I don't think of myself as a success story. But, what I know is this:

Almost two years ago, I weighed between 98 and 105 lbs every day. My goal was to keep it around 100. I was barely eating enough to fuel an 8-year old child, and I tried to burn at least twice as much as I ate during my workouts. I would go hard and fast on the elliptical for an hour in the morning, and in the evening, I'd do one of Jillian's videos. If I hadn't burned enough calories, I'd either do another video or hop on the elliptical again. There were times on the weekends I would go downstairs to the basement where my gym is and hit that elliptical three times in one day. Three times for at least an hour each. I'd even go in the middle of the night, after everyone was asleep, if I felt like I needed one more workout.

I'm only 5'2, but I looked like a child.

Late last spring, I started P90X. I started to gain a little bit, but not much. Around the same time, I found EM2WL and decided I couldn't keep doing what I was doing to my body anymore. What Kiki and Lucia taught made sense. I was terrified, but I upped my calories. I was still working out twice a day - elliptical in the morning, P90X in the evening. But no more than that. And I decided to up my calories. Just a little. I was terrified to up them too many, but I upped them all the way to 1500. And sometimes, I actually ate more than that.

As you can imagine, I gained weight. I didn't like it at all.

Then I made it worse.

Over the summer, right before I finished P90X, we went on vacation. And I ATE. I didn't eat bad foods, and I didn't eat until everyone went to bed. It was bad. ED came back with a vengeance, only this time, instead of not eating, instead of binging and purging, I just binged. I hated this bloated body - bloated from eating again and from lifting weights. I was so depressed that I lost control. It also didn't help that our hostess drinks like a fish, so I'd drink all day to keep up with her. And then after everyone went to bed, I binged on everything from turkey jerky to the fat free Pringles I brought with me. When I think about those 10 days, I am disgusted and humiliated.

By the end of the summer, I was about 117, and I was bloated. Half, I think, from eating and drinking too much and half from then starting NROLFW. I had to buy new pants. I went from 00 to 2s or 4s. Tops went from Extra Small to Small or Medium, and I hated myself. I HATED myself. And I still tried to do enough cardio on top of the weights to burn at least 400-500 calories a day. I was very depressed and couldn't stand to look at myself. My poor husband did what he could to make me feel sexy, but nothing helped. I stopped weighing myself because the number were too depressing, and I was so tempted to purge my meals, if I decided to eat them. I was on the verge of falling back into ED.

I stopped NROLFW. I started doing cardio again. Only an hour or so a day, but straight cardio. It didn't take long for that to bore me so much and wear out my body so completely that I had to do something. I felt helpless and disgusting and still considered not eating again.

But I kept eating. I started P90X again. I am not working out an hour of straight cardio every day alongside the lifting. In fact, I'm only doing cardio once or twice a week, and it's some form of HIIT, something fun, something I enjoy. I'm not eating what I should, but it's a heck of a lot more than I ate a year ago. I lost several inches all around. I knew this not from measuring but from fitting back into pants I'd almost thrown out. Some I did actually throw out.

Saturday, I stepped on the scale. - after measuring my waist at 23.5 without tightening the tape lol - and saw 128!!! I weigh 128 pounds!!! But...I can wear the pants I used to wear (though they're tight), and I know my thighs are smaller, and my waist is smaller, and my hips...my arms I'm not too sure and should probably start measuring them and really still hate them but...

How can I be wearing a pair of kids size 14 jeggings from Target right now...like I used to...and still weight 128???

The number has disturbed me. Not enough to go back to my old ways. More like...just disbelief. I don't feel like I weigh that much. In fact most websites would take that weight and my height and give me a high BMI.

I'm just...this is GOOD right? I need reassurance.

I owe so much to Kiki and Lucia and all of you here. Not only do you guys have your own lives and health journeys, but you keep up with all of us. You actually KNOW me. You know all about my EDs and current body issues and everything and actually care. And I would NOT be here if it weren't for you guys.

So I guess, this is my success story. I've recovered from ED and am learning to eat again. I've gained muscle and lost fat. I've been back and forth between elated and depressed too many times to count. I still spend hours obsessing, counting calories and planning meals. I'm still way picky about what I eat...or rather what I don't. There still are moments I look at old pictures and see the tiny me, and my heart still breaks wishing I could be that woman again. But, even when I was happy being skinny, I cried every time I binged, and I knew I should be eating. Even though I liked it when the scale went down, it scared me because I knew it wasn't good.

I won't lie - there are still nights I tell myself that tomorrow, I'm only going to consume 500 calories. But overall, I'm happier than I've been in years.

I wish I had real BEFORE and AFTER pictures to share with you all, but please realize that those numbers on the scale do not define you. Don't let them. Because they are so deceiving. Trust me.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Thats great, did you keep BF% records at all to see your actual gains? That is what you might want to start recording since you are so small instead of scale #.
  • kurli05
    kurli05 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have only just started this process, but I want to just say that your story is very inspiring. Be very proud of what you have accomplished. There are still going to be many hard days down the road, but that doesn't discount all the good days. Hang in there and congratulations!
  • colleen3115
    colleen3115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What a journey for you! So glad you are feeding your body to do amazing things.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you for having the courage to share!!!!!!:love:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I am happy to see, that things are moving the right way for you. I know how hard it can be to eat, and you did not stop! Keep it up April! I am so, so proud of you!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • calyhirsch
    Options
    Your story is so inspiring - keep doing what makes you feel good, strong, and healthy, and you're completely right that the numbers on the scale are meaningless!

I wore a size 16 jean when I started EM2WL last October - I was under eating but still fat. My weight dropped at first, then went back up to where I started. But I've dropped down to a size 12 jean and I have so much more energy and stamina for exercise.

Ignore the scale, just go by how you feel and how your clothes fit!
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't have a set of calipers yet. I know I should get them so I can measure BF...maybe I will soon.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't have a set of calipers yet. I know I should get them so I can measure BF...maybe I will soon.

Unless you are skilled with them through training and experience, forget it, too much variance, like a BF% scale, which will probably discourage you.

Measurements more useful, besides which couple good calc's will give meaningful stats to watch.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html

Congrats on success and it sounds like partially making the mind over.

I'm going opposite of some of the advice. Don't listen to your body and do what feels right - because you are still getting false signals and your mind will still play tricks on you. As you indicated, on the verge of doing something foolish again.

Use your brain, study and know what is good for you, and do it. Don't worry about what the body is doing right now, because you might have a mere blip the "wrong" direction one time, and think you need to do something drastic and unwise.

Accept the fact that LBM (muscle and all the other components of non-fat mass) raises metabolism, and takes up less space than fat.
    So indeed you can weigh more, and fit into same sized clothes.

And your 10 day binge while lifting - that's called bulking, the only way to really increase muscle, if you were doing the workouts well during that time.

And always keep firmly in mind - what are people actually going to see anyway?
    Scale that is NOT tied to your back, or clothes fitting?
    And if it's totally about you thinking a certain number is needed on the scale, get rid of it, totally go by measurements or clothes fitting.
    And try to figure out why a number on the scale is important to you.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hey Heybales that last paragraph is brilliant ...GOLD!!!!!

April you have worked so well and fought your demons. I read your ups and downs and you are still fighting the good fight. Totally agree with Evelyn we are proud proud of you.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    Thank you. All of you. As I've said and will keep saying - God put you all in my life to help me. Ultimately, it's He who has helped me, but he did so through each and every one of you.

haybales - the binging wasn't during a time of lifting. LOL. It was on vacation. It wasn't my body trying to bulk. Believe me. But, thank you so much for your post. I'm going to check out that website and try to calculate my BF, and everything else...as GoGo said, Brilliant. Thank you. :) It's words like yours that have helped me push through even while at my lowest.
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options

And always keep firmly in mind - what are people actually going to see anyway?
    Scale that is NOT tied to your back, or clothes fitting?
    And if it's totally about you thinking a certain number is needed on the scale, get rid of it, totally go by measurements or clothes fitting.
    And try to figure out why a number on the scale is important to you.

This. Exactly this. YOU are greater than any arbitrary number!!! YOU are awesome. What an amazing story, honey. One that far to many women out there struggle through but NEVER recover from. :love: Keep fighting and doing what you are doing. Lift. Eat. Rest. Repeat. :smile:
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    April thank you for sharing your story! I didnt get a chance to read it the other day but I am glad i got to today! You are doing great work!
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Love this!!! How awesome!!

Thanks for sharing your story!
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    AWESOME
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    April - I just wanted to cry reading this. Having known you through every up and down (and down some more :ohwell: ) moment, I have so much joy in reading this. You are a shining example of strength to that little girl of yours, and I know that she and her father are as proud of you as I am. :flowerforyou:

So happy that the fruits of your labor are beginning to show and that the strength that you've shown during this journey are putting ED in his rightful place. :wink:

~Kiki :smooched:
  • AprilRenewed
    Options
    April - I just wanted to cry reading this. Having known you through every up and down (and down some more :ohwell: ) moment, I have so much joy in reading this. You are a shining example of strength to that little girl of yours, and I know that she and her father are as proud of you as I am. :flowerforyou:

So happy that the fruits of your labor are beginning to show and that the strength that you've shown during this journey are putting ED in his rightful place. :wink:

~Kiki :smooched:

And YOU have made ME want to cry. :) Thank you for all of your support. My husband is wonderful, but it's different than having a group of friends who totally get it. Oh, I know you haven't been exactly where I've been, but you get it. Because you've been thereto a different extent.

All of you have.

Thank you.

I know I'm not destined for easy roads forever now, just because I'm doing better. I will still have bad days. But they're going to continue to be further and farther between. :)

And if I can somehow help others, well then...all the better. Because it breaks my heart seeing women where I've been. I know that pain. It's scary and hard and difficult. But there is a way out.
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You should be so incredibly proud of yourself. As someone who recovered from full blown ED to just flirting with it off and on over the years, I can fully appreciate how difficult this process was for you and how terrifying it was to gain weight.

Just remember, the number on that scale is only a measure of your gravitational pull on this Earth. It does not define you, who you are, what you're worth, how much you are loved, or measure anything really all that important.

Your body is merely the vehicle that carries around your soul. Honor it and care for it because it and you are valuable.

(okay, enough sap!)

atta girl!!!!! Yay!!!!!!
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Spectacular success story! Thanks so much for sharing it!!
  • forgage
    forgage Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So proud !!! Thank you for sharing!!!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Awesome April!!!