Newbie here...Early morning workout tips?

Options
What tips do you have for getting yourself out of bed for early-morning workouts? I'm new to these MFP forums and am hoping this will help me stay accountable to myself/more motivated!

I've been doing JMBR for several weeks now, but it's been sporadic and I'm not seeing the results I know I could be seeing if I were working out consistently. Instead of getting my butt out of bed at 5 or 6 every morning, I lie to myself and say I'll complete my workout after work, which doesn't happen.

One more bit of info.--I have an appointment scheduled with my OBGYN April 30th for my checkup and to talk about preparing for my second pregnancy. I had blood pressure issues with my first child (she's now two!) and I don't want that to happen again if I can help it! SO, I have a lot of reasons to get serious about my weight loss!

Replies

• Ashley3915
    Ashley3915 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hate getting up in the morning I do lay there also and say no just sleep a little longer!! But then something in my mind clicks and I remember how much I want this!!!! :) I always feel way better after my workouts also! :)
  • eternalone88
    eternalone88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Today is my second day at working out with the JMBR and i think that a routine works best for me. I prepared all my meals ahead of time for myself. I work out after work because i hate mornings. So after getting out of work i have dinner then wait for an hour or so and then work out. I think this is what will keep me going is a routine and hopefuly it will help you too.
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I put my alarm clock (or phone) across the room so that I have to get up to shut it off and my workout clothes are right there beside it.... no turning back then :) Once you get on it, you will NEVER turn back! It is the best feeling in the world to get it outta the way! Also, it is a good strategy for dieting because you aren't very likely to blow it when you already started the day off so well. The other thing that I find is that if I wait til evening, something always comes up - the only excuse you have in the morning is YOU! :) GOOD LUCK
  • joeyslamon
    Options
    What tips do you have for getting yourself out of bed for early-morning workouts? I'm new to these MFP forums and am hoping this will help me stay accountable to myself/more motivated!

I've been doing JMBR for several weeks now, but it's been sporadic and I'm not seeing the results I know I could be seeing if I were working out consistently. Instead of getting my butt out of bed at 5 or 6 every morning, I lie to myself and say I'll complete my workout after work, which doesn't happen.

One more bit of info.--I have an appointment scheduled with my OBGYN April 30th for my checkup and to talk about preparing for my second pregnancy. I had blood pressure issues with my first child (she's now two!) and I don't want that to happen again if I can help it! SO, I have a lot of reasons to get serious about my weight loss!

I'm the exact same way. I've been doing it for two weeks, the first week I was all over it, then I didn't see any results, so my motivation is waning. I have taken to sleeping in more, then I get out of work at midnight.
  • jessicadm6
    Options
    My motivation is Jillian and her crew! They all look amazing and before I know it 30 minutes has come and gone. I have a very busy lifestyle because I work full-time planning events for a college and own my own wedding planning business Life is always pulling me in another direction. I know every morning that if I don't do it in the morning than it just won't get done because i work so much. Another motivation....I swear you want to eat better all day when you workout in the morning! If you're the kind of person who doesn't love working out and is doing this to better your life....you have to think of it as, "I'm going to get up, do 30 minutes and then i'm done for the day!" Last thing that really helps me is I set my alarm for 15 minutes before I need to get out of bed to workout. That gives me time to wake up and get myself together. As soon as that 15 minutes is up, I pop up, put on my workout clothes and go downstairs to begin my day!

Best of luck and keep going!!!
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I get up every morning at 5:45! Some mornings I just want to sleep in, but I know if I don't do it then, it will not get done. No matter what, I feel amazing afterwards! (TMI alert!) I shower after with a body wash with a mint or citrus scent...very refreshing and I am totally awake for the rest of my day.

Everyone is different, but, it is a great way to start my day.
    Good luck with your journey!
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Another motivation....I swear you want to eat better all day when you workout in the morning! If you're the kind of person who doesn't love working out and is doing this to better your life....you have to think of it as, "I'm going to get up, do 30 minutes and then i'm done for the day!"

I agree with this wholeheartedly!!!
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to work out in the morning when I had a job that allowed me to arrive at 9:30am =) I kept it up by meeting a friend at the gym so that I was accountable to someone else.

Now, I have to be up around 5:15am, so there's no way in he11 that I'm getting up at 4:45am! :tongue:
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45am every morning so I can workout., because as you said, if I don't do it in the morning, it doesn't get done. Here are some of the 'tricks' that I use to help me:

1) Get to bed early. I don't care what I'm doing, I am in bed by 10:30pm the LATEST. Some nights I go earlier than others, but I always get to bed before 10:30.

2) Put you phone/alarm clock across the room so you actually have to get up and turn it off. You'll be up and out of bed already, so why get back into it?

3) If you can, sleep in some of your workout clothes. This way, you'll already be half dressed when you wake up in the mornings.