HELP before appointment today!

Options
TiffanyWasmer
TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
Hey ladies! I’ve been hypo for the past 2 years; started on Levoxyl, then Armour and now on a compounded T3/T4 prescription of 20/100 I believe.

Still having symptoms and still can NOT lose any weight!! My labs in January were TSH 4.2 and free T4 of 0.7 which is when my doctor bumped out my dosage to the current amount.

I’m going for new lab results today and I’m so tired of this “inching” up in amounts. It’s obviously not working! I have to wait 6-8 weeks to increase a little more and I’m getting so frustrated.

I will also add that I have been sugar-free and “bad carb” free for almost 5 weeks now and lost 2 pounds of pure water weight only :( I want to keep trying but it’s so discouraging!

If you have any advice/suggestions as to what I should ask my doctor I would be most grateful.

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Wow, those were pretty low levels before bumping you up, I can pretty much guarantee your levels are still too low.

Can you ask your doctor for labs after 3-4 weeks, if you're still feeling symptomatic?

Did you have issues from the Armour previously? Just noticed that the compounded has a slightly lower ratio of T3, and with him ramping you up slowly on the meds I thought you'd maybe had some heart issues or something with the Armour.

Is your doctor also testing your free T3? If he/she does make sure to take your pill after your morning labs.
  • TiffanyWasmer
    Options
    I LOVED the Armour but there was something in my labs that made him adjust the T4 levels to be more...he actually wanted to put me back on Synthroid but I pitched a hissy fit!

And I do wait to take my meds until after labwork :) I guess I will ask him today for ALL of my numbers so I can let y'all know! What frustrates me is that my dosage is going up, but my levels seem to be getting worse or staying the same... is that normal?
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    Ugh, your free T3 levels were probably a little too high for his liking - but you obviously felt good! I'll never understand why doctors switch people who are feeling good...

Good for you for fighting back against the synthroid!

I would honestly start doing research for a new doctor, who won't get freaked out by a higher free T3 result. Keep working with this one as you can and maybe it will work out, but sounds like he's not totally listening to how you feel (just looking at the numbers).
  • TiffanyWasmer
    Options
    Ugh, your free T3 levels were probably a little too high for his liking - but you obviously felt good! I'll never understand why doctors switch people who are feeling good...

Good for you for fighting back against the synthroid!

I would honestly start doing research for a new doctor, who won't get freaked out by a higher free T3 result. Keep working with this one as you can and maybe it will work out, but sounds like he's not totally listening to how you feel (just looking at the numbers).

I will see what he has to say today and make sure he understands my frustration!!! "At least you aren't gaining" isn't good enough anymore... I know that my diet and exercise regimen is benefitting me in my general health, but it sure would be nice to see the scale start moving DOWN.

Thank you for all of your advice :flowerforyou:
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I hate it when they act like not gaining is the goal, and/or that weight is the only concern! (vs. just feeling good)
  • TiffanyWasmer
    Options
    It IS frustrating!! I'm hopeful that my new dosage of 50 T3/ 125 T4 will start helping... sure I would like to lose some weight, but I mainly want to feel better.

As you well know, it's really tough to keep going and going and going when your body feels like it's flat out of fuel :-/

As always, thank you for your wonderful advice!
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with Synthroid? Just curious because that is what I take and have been for almost a year. I also have had a difficult time with loosing any weight. I work out 6 times a week ( 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weights) Eigth right, etc...but still no loss...I am so frustrated!!! I only have 15 lbs more to go. Wondering if this has something to do with Synthroid??
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    What is wrong with Synthroid? Just curious because that is what I take and have been for almost a year. I also have had a difficult time with loosing any weight. I work out 6 times a week ( 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weights) Eigth right, etc...but still no loss...I am so frustrated!!! I only have 15 lbs more to go. Wondering if this has something to do with Synthroid??

Synthroid is ok for some people, but not for all. Synthroid is a synthetic T4 medication, which your body then has to turn into T3 hormone. Low levels of T3 hormone are what cause hypo symptoms, so if your body can't properly convert the Synthroid then you'll still have symptoms.

If your only continuing issue is the last 15 lbs of weight loss that may or may not be related to your thyroid issues - I would ask your doctor to test your "free T3". If your free T3 is anywhere below the mid-point of the range then you may want to consider switching to a combo T3/T4 med.