Big girl strength training??

Options
I am looking for some direction to make sure I am not misusing my time.

I am currently at 301 pounds, my starting weight was about 360 ( I avoid the scale whenever possible). Goal weight is uncertain, but probably about 200. I don't want to get in the big boned debate, but I have a size 11/12 shoe, 8 inch wrist, and huge manly hands

I am 39 yrs old, 5ft 6in.

I started loosing weight in June, 2012.

For the last two months I have been doing more work with weights, trying to add new strength excercises every week or so, in addition to doing cardio (which I switch up, I have done Zumba, treadmill, bike, elyptical, etc)

I spend at least an hour at the gym 3 times a week, and I try and do a longer walk with the dog during the weekend, usually at least 2 hours.

Does it make sense to be doing strength trainting at my current size? If so, how should I be splitting up my time between cardio and weights.

I have heard a lot of talk about the New Rules of Weight Lifiting for Women, is that something that it makes sense to pick up at my size?

Thanks!!!!!!

Replies

• darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It makes sense at any size! Get with a trainer and get going! ;^)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It makes sense at any size! Get with a trainer and get going! ;^)

Yup, this! There is a group here on MFP for New Rules. I'm doing the program now.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    OP: I would recommend starting out slowly, under the guidance of a trainer who has worked with bigger athletes before...
    remember, when we are obese or significantly overweight, we are ALREADY carrying a lot of weight, and putting a lot of stress on our joints, esp. knees, etc...

maybe working with bodyweight exercises before tackling machines, dumbells, etc, would be a good place to begin.

see a trainer, orthopedic doc, etc
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it! I agree that it's wise to work with a trainer who understands how to train obese people to lift. Besides the extra weight and stress on the body that comes along with that, form can also be an issue depending on how you carry your weight and the exercises you're performing. There are modifications for pretty much every exercise you can think of....it's just a matter of finding out what they are and what works for you.
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    hmmm, so I really need to find a trainer, who regularly deals with big people, now if I can find one that doesn't charge $40 an hour even better (that's the charge for the trainers at my gym)

Is it crazy to think I want a trainer who lays out a plan and I maybe meet with once a month or so? I have seen the trainers at my gym regularly standing next to the same people as they do the same exercises . . . real basic stuff to treadmill, elyptical, etc
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You may be able to get a cost break on training if you find a small-group trainer. Make sure the trainer is adept at working with larger clients. If you go to Ideafit.com you can find personal trainers, their location and their specialties. Additionally, this site will list their qualifications which is very important!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    hmmm, so I really need to find a trainer, who regularly deals with big people, now if I can find one that doesn't charge $40 an hour even better (that's the charge for the trainers at my gym)

Is it crazy to think I want a trainer who lays out a plan and I maybe meet with once a month or so? I have seen the trainers at my gym regularly standing next to the same people as they do the same exercises . . . real basic stuff to treadmill, elyptical, etc
    Does your gym allow you to meet and discuss a program with a trainer for free. My gym allows you to have a reprogram every 3 months or so. I just did mine yesterday, and got a whole new workout... some of it based on the stuff I had been doing already, but whole new section of Kettlebell workouts... he went through them all with me, constantly helping with my form... and then watched as I did the whole workout. This was all free. (or should I say, part of my monthly fees!)
    Now if I could find some like-minded people at my gym, I would willingly split the cost of seeing a trainer weekly!
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    [Does your gym allow you to meet and discuss a program with a trainer for free. My gym allows you to have a reprogram every 3 months or so. I just did mine yesterday, and got a whole new workout... some of it based on the stuff I had been doing already, but whole new section of Kettlebell workouts... he went through them all with me, constantly helping with my form... and then watched as I did the whole workout. This was all free. (or should I say, part of my monthly fees!)
    Now if I could find some like-minded people at my gym, I would willingly split the cost of seeing a trainer weekly!

No, my gym doesn't have a free program, it's just a small gym, and the trainers we do have I don't think have much experience.
  • Whirlagirl
    Options
    I am looking for some direction to make sure I am not misusing my time.

I am currently at 301 pounds, my starting weight was about 360 ( I avoid the scale whenever possible). Goal weight is uncertain, but probably about 200. I don't want to get in the big boned debate, but I have a size 11/12 shoe, 8 inch wrist, and huge manly hands

I am 39 yrs old, 5ft 6in.

I started loosing weight in June, 2012.

For the last two months I have been doing more work with weights, trying to add new strength excercises every week or so, in addition to doing cardio (which I switch up, I have done Zumba, treadmill, bike, elyptical, etc)

I spend at least an hour at the gym 3 times a week, and I try and do a longer walk with the dog during the weekend, usually at least 2 hours.

Does it make sense to be doing strength trainting at my current size? If so, how should I be splitting up my time between cardio and weights.

I have heard a lot of talk about the New Rules of Weight Lifiting for Women, is that something that it makes sense to pick up at my size?

Thanks!!!!!!
    When I was your size, meaning your old size (360), my only activity was weight training. It really helped me carve out a shape. I did not lose tons of weight, but my body looked and felt better than when I tried the cardio intensive route. Currently, I need both weight training with cardio to see results, so yes it continues to make sense for my body. I also just used some weight lifting books to design my initial program, I think by Lou Shuler and another mainly for men, no trainer. I was also diligent about maintaining good form. To begin there's always something like the Live Fit program by Jamie Eason when the routines are set, plus BB.com offers video demonstrations covering exercises and form.

There was a great post about big girl weight lifting ill find it and link in a bit.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824518-fat-girl-dead-lifting
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started out at 308 in January of 2012. When I started out, I couldn't walk across a room without having to stop to breath. I was type 2 diabetic and took BP pills along with hypothyroid meds. I will never get off the synthroid because it's damaged but I have been able to remove the insulin and half the BP pills.

When I started, cardio was a no go so I started out on the weight machines. Eventually I could get on the treadmill without dying but I never left the strength training. I eventually moved over to the smith rack and cable. I rarely use the machines now. I recommend keeping cardio even if you move to the machines or racks. Just last September, I began training for a 5k (though now with my broken ankle, I can't run).

Bodybuilding.com has been a great resource for me along with the training and studies I took to become a Personnel Trainer.

LIFT ON! You can do it.
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Start strength training now to build lean muscle as you lose fat. That will only health with your metabolism and also tone things up and hopefully limit any loose skin issues later. Have a trainer guide on how to set up an appropriate program.
  • MoeBop
    MoeBop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't really know. But I just started this journey and I'm going to strength train. I'm at 260 right now. I hear that it helps a lot. It adds energy and allows for more calories to be burned throughout the day. I also heard that it tightens your skins as you lose weight so later you won't have excess skin. I'm going to look into it more but if you feel it might work for it just a little extra research I personally like youtube videos, may help you to decide what works best for you. >.<
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some strength training! You don't really need a trainer...you can do some research before you hit the gym. Also please reconsider your goal weight as that is still an obese weight for your height.
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    Definitely do some strength training! You don't really need a trainer...you can do some research before you hit the gym. Also please reconsider your goal weight as that is still an obese weight for your height.

I am not set on my goal weight, but it is currently the low end of the goal weight given to my by my Dr. I am trying not to stress about the numbers, but focusing more on making changes to make me overall more healthy.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    as you lose weight, strength training will help you keep your muscle mass. Start weight training yesterday!
  • stinastudios
    stinastudios Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes, lift weights! Strength train!

I've actually heard that weight training now, while you're heavy, actually gives you a bit of an advantage, as a higher body fat makes you able to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, which leaner people can't do. If you were to lose all the fat with just cardio, with no weight training, you would have lost quite a bit of muscle mass, too. This way you can keep the good stuff and get rid of the not-so-good.

I would highly recommend the Stronglifts 5x5 program, which is what I'm doing right now.
  • Viola47
    Viola47 Posts: 121
    Options
    I have mixed feelings on cheap trainers - I actually had one tell me to go easy on the weights and stick to cardio so I wouldn't "bulk up". :/ Moving on... does your gym have a package deal? Mine has a deal where you can buy 3 training sessions for $90, instead of the normal rate. The initial cost is greater, but it's much cheaper than paying one at a time.

I just googled a ton a beginning strength programs, and made up my own program as I go along. I've had experience lifting though, so it wasn't a new thing for me. I know some people swear by the "New Rules of Lifting" (I think it's a book?), but bodybuilding.com has some good routines. Also, since I started lifting I've lost 4 inches from my waist, so even if you don't see the scale move... well, I know you don't like the scale anyway!

I try to do 2 to 3 strength sessions a week, and 30 to 60 minutes of cardio every day. I do "full body" routines, though I go easy on leg exercises. If you want any tips or advice on big girl strength training (I was at 240, but I'm actually rather small-boned, so I have about 90 - 100 lbs to lose) feel free to PM me and/or add me. I post my actual routines on fitocracy.com. The link is on my profile. :)
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately no deals at my gym for the trainers, and I am not impressed with the training I have seen them do for others ( I don't need someone to stand next to me on while I am on the treadmill, I figured that one out! LOL!)

Right now I have been doing about 20 minutes of strength training, and 45ish of cardio (mixing it up treadmill 3 mph 8 -10 incline, C25K, bike or elyptical)

For my strength training I have been mixing it up too. But some of the typical excercises I have been doing:
    Dumbbell biceps curls neutral grip 10 pounds, 10 reps, 5 sets
    Dumbbell biceps curls overhand grip 10 pounds, 10 reps, 5 sets
    Dumbbell triceps extensions standing 5 pounds 10 reps, 5 sets
    Dumbbell tripceps kickback neutral trip 10 pounds 10 reps, 5 sets
    Dumbbell shoulder press 10 pounds 10 reps, 5 sets
    Dumbbell squats 10 pounds 10 reps, 5 sets
    Dumbbell squats split 10 pounds 10 reps 5 sets
    Machines:
    Lat pull downs 30 pounds, 10 reps, 5 sets
    Shoulder press 30 pounds, 10 reps, 5 sets
    Leg curls 40 pounds, 10 reps, 5 sets
    Leg Presses 50 pounds 10 reps 5 sets
    Leg Extension 30 pounds 10 reps 5 sets

I am sure I am missing some, but this is the majority of what I am doing
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately no deals at my gym for the trainers, and I am not impressed with the training I have seen them do for others ( I don't need someone to stand next to me on while I am on the treadmill, I figured that one out! LOL!)

Right now I have been doing about 20 minutes of strength training, and 45ish of cardio (mixing it up treadmill 3 mph 8 -10 incline, C25K, bike or elyptical)

For my strength training I have been mixing it up too. But some of the typical excercises I have been doing:
    Machines:

I applaud you for starting somewhere but I think you should really consider lifting heavier to see some real changes. A good rule of thumb is that if you can lift a weight more than 12 times in a row with good form, it is too light. I also would highly recommend a begginers lifting program for you than concentrates more on compound than isolated exercises. Strong lifts or starting strength are great. When I started, it was with Jamie Eason's live fit trainer. Good luck!
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Machines:

I applaud you for starting somewhere but I think you should really consider lifting heavier to see some real changes. A good rule of thumb is that if you can lift a weight more than 12 times in a row with good form, it is too light. I also would highly recommend a begginers lifting program for you than concentrates more on compound than isolated exercises. Strong lifts or starting strength are great. When I started, it was with Jamie Eason's live fit trainer. Good luck!

This. Lifting heavy gets great results. I highly recommend stronglifts 5x5 Mehdi. Easy to do. Simple to Learn. You can teach yourself by watching Mehdi videos and watching extra form videos on YouTube. Also there is an awesome Stronglifts for women support group on here.