Looking for quitting buddies

Options
4Elyse2012
4Elyse2012 Posts: 39 Member
I am so tired of smoking. It doesn't really taste good anymore, I don't enjoy it, and I'd really like to quit spending so much money on something that's just cutting my life short. I'm looking for friends to help me along the way, so please add me and help me out! I promise to be completely honest about how many I've had as I try to quit and am looking for ideas about things to do instead of having a cigarette break. Thanks everyone!

A little history: I've been smoking off/on (mostly on) for 12 years now. I've never smoked more than 10/day and the longest I've quit is 11 months when I was pregnant/right after my daughter was born.

Replies

• kristalmarie29
    Options
    I completely understand what your talking about....I no longer enjoy the taste or even the smell but for some reason from time to time I find myself lighting one up. I have finally over come the smoke breaks at work by taking a walk with a small piece of fruit in hand. but yes it is still difficult and would like some support as well.
  • amanda5615
    Options
    I am almost at a month smoke free! I would love to support you all.

I feel that this is my final attempt out of many failed attempts at quitting smoking. I have quit cold turkey, with the patch and with the gum. They all worked at first, but I eventually went back to smoking.

I feel that the problem was, I wasnt ready, I enjoyed smoking with my friends too much and when I drink, I smoke excuse has been soooo easy to use.

How have I come this far, I know, its only been a month, but its the longest I have come. I purchased an NJoy e cig, it is a one time use ecig, but it got me past all of the hard times so far. I also took two weeks off of friends. I would not go to any event or go see any of my smoking friends. And when I did want to have a drink, I made sure I was not around any smokers. So far it has worked, I even went to the bar last weekend with a few smoking friends and while they were enjoying their stinky smokes, I was enjoying my ecig. (SMELL FREE).
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I will post later today.I am here for you!
  • pattypureheart
    pattypureheart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Me too... ready to trash the cigs.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Add me too, im on day 38 of no smoking. I dont seem to miss it at all or have any cravings for it. I do have a big sniff if i walk past a smoker in the street and i have rediscovered my appetite ha ha. I quit cold turkey.....I had perfect timing though, i had the flu or something and my chest was really suffering/painful when i smoked (yes i was still smoking with a chest infection lol) So one night i decided to finally read Allen Carrs- easy way to stop smoking, had my last cigarette and thats it!

Someone great on here gave me the NOPE idea, its stuck in my head now "NOT ONE PUFF EVER" :)
  • 4Elyse2012
    4Elyse2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't say I'm a quitter yet :-( I work nights and b/c of my husband's work schedule have our 3 yr old daughter for a good portion of the days, so I've been using the excuse of a 3am pick me up/break. Boo on me! This crazy schedule is driving me crazy......
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was doing well and I slipped. I have to get back on track. I need all the help and motivation I can get.
  • pattypureheart
    pattypureheart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was doing well and I slipped. I have to get back on track. I need all the help and motivation I can get.
    How long had you quit for before slipping? My quit day is soon approaching... And to (hopefully encourage you) You were doing well, so do it again... I do not at all want to sound simplistic but thinking we've just gotta keep trying as many times as it takes, right? Best to you with the next time around!
  • Shelby701
    Options
    Hello,
    Quitting smoking is going to probably be my biggest hurtle on my getting healthy journey. I was happy to see I was not alone on MFP with this yucky monster following me everywhere. It’s a horrible habit/addiction and I know it doesn’t do any good with trying to reach my fitness goals. I have quit before (many times) and the difference I feel is like night and day. I have no idea why choose to light up that cigarette other than feel how good it feels without them. I know that nobody can fix it for me, I to created this messy way of life and it’s up to me to fix it. But sadly, it still feels good to know I am not alone in battling this monster. It’s good to see that many of you can now say your smoke free! What a thrill and sense of accomplishment you must get just to be able to say that. Kudos to all of you! I'm actaully jellous. I know I have quit before, and I will quit again! Like most things in my life right now, I am moving mountains, one pebble at a time, some pebbles are like boulder, and smoking is one of my boulders. Just posting this, I feel like, I just gave my smoking boulder a good push. It’s still maybe in my way, but I’m truly trying to push is out of the way, once and for all, so I can make it easier to carry the many pebbles of my mountain that stand between me and my overall health and fitness.