Weekends!

Options
kayceeme
kayceeme Posts: 105 Member
Hi group,

I don't know about you, but I find that I am able to do great following The Plan Monday-Friday, but struggle on the weekends. I'm so often out and about. For example, I was out helping my mom with something yesterday and skipped both snack and lunch. Then went out to our favorite Chinese restaurant where I consumed a previously untested protein, probably had much too much sodium, and also had the "animal protein and rice" combo that's known to be reactive for many people. (What can I say? I had a moment of weakness.) Now today I am up a pound and feeling kind of sluggish, but it's not exactly unexpected.

This kind of thing has caused a definite been slowing of my progress. But I do want to have a life and feel ok about it, knowing that I can do a safe day or two and get back on track. Getting close to the end of my 20 days and will be starting the "Five Day Self Test" soon.

Replies

• cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time paying any real attention to any sort of healthy plan on weekends! I've just accepted it. What i like about The Plan is that that seems to be OK. You just have to do a friendly day or 2 to get back on track. Weekends, events, etc are a part of life and they have to be worked in!
  • kmayne
    kmayne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Me too. I try to do Saturdays as friendly as possible, but for my husband's sake, I take Sundays off. Last night we had homemade pizza and I have yet to test wheat, tomatoes, and cow's cheese. And of course I'm way up, but I'll just do a friendly day today and I can get back on track. it does slow the testing of foods, but I can't live in a vacuum while doing the Plan. But I think that is her intent. :)
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who indulges a bit on the weekend!

Monday now and will be getting back on track. I still find it really interesting to see how quickly I can add weight (1.6 lbs in 2 days) when I eat things that I react to. The lack of energy was a bit of a surprise. Not sure it was the food, or maybe the rainy day, or even the change to Daylight Savings Time. Or all of the above?

Very reassuring to know that I probably can lose that much equally fast.
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling "off" all afternoon. I took a nap, and am getting a headache. The whole family has had a tummy bug, and I just couldn't stand the thought of another salad tonight, so I had a homemade wheat roll (untested). We'll see what happens tomorrow. That is what I like about this plan....we get to set the rules for ourselves, and if we deviate, it's easy to get back on track. :)
  • GmaQueenBee
    GmaQueenBee Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    After 3 weeks on the plan, and testing reactive to bread, potato, and pork, I took a break this weekend also. It looks like pizza was our downfall. I did make mine using a gluten free pizza crust, alfredo sauce (untested) , chicken and lots of friendly vegetables. The pound gained was worth the feeling of freedom for the day. The two egg omelete with bacon (reactive) & mushroom probably didn't help.
  • tallteacher
    Options
    Jocymc.....sometimes we all have to do that! Good for you! :)
  • bry8iyze
    bry8iyze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The "off" days are what I really appreciate about this plan, it's expected that you'll indulge. But we are developing a "toolbox" of tried and true foods and strategies that work for each of us. Weekends, when I'm traveling or just out shopping or playing music it's a challenge even getting in my water! Trying to find food that isn't full of salt or untested combinations is also difficult but not impossible. But it's ok if I don't and grab a chicken sandwich. That 2 pcs. bread was an untested portion of wheat. I could have had it open faced but I decided to make a test of it. And sometimes you just want to indulge and that's ok too. I'm into my second month of testing on my own so instead of the "gain" days derailing me which, and causing me to quit as with other diets, so far this time, I just get right back to my friendly foods. I was up last weekend (the sandwich!) but in two days all that weight came off and more, bringing me to my lowest weight to date. It's not as fast as the weightloss during the first 20 days, but like any diet the beginning is always faster. Testing (and living!) throw challenges our way and we don't have to be perfect. When the scale is up it motivates me to run back to my safe foods, when it's down, it motivates me to test another food so I can widen the variety of what I can eat. If the scale is not moving, as it did for over a week when I began testing on my own, it motivated me to figure out what I was doing "wrong" with the self testing. I did and I started losing again. I feel like I've got control, not in a forceful way that involves so much willpower it's not sustainable. But in the sense of feeling empowered and making intentional choices. An important point about control is I just don't have the incessant hunger that would derail my former attempts! I'm eating more calories on this plan. I feel satisfied after eating instead of dealing with gnawing hunger most of the time! The weight loss is slower now and sometimes the scale has a big hiccup, but it goes back down and keeps going if I just stick to the Plan. Instead of feeling deprived and fatigued most of the time now I feel a lightness and increased energy that I've rarely felt before. That keeps me going too!
  • tallteacher
    Options
    The "off" days are what I really appreciate about this plan, it's expected that you'll indulge. But we are developing a "toolbox" of tried and true foods and strategies that work for each of us. Weekends, when I'm traveling or just out shopping or playing music it's a challenge even getting in my water! Trying to find food that isn't full of salt or untested combinations is also difficult but not impossible. But it's ok if I don't and grab a chicken sandwich. That 2 pcs. bread was an untested portion of wheat. I could have had it open faced but I decided to make a test of it. And sometimes you just want to indulge and that's ok too. I'm into my second month of testing on my own so instead of the "gain" days derailing me which, and causing me to quit as with other diets, so far this time, I just get right back to my friendly foods. I was up last weekend (the sandwich!) but in two days all that weight came off and more, bringing me to my lowest weight to date. It's not as fast as the weightloss during the first 20 days, but like any diet the beginning is always faster. Testing (and living!) throw challenges our way and we don't have to be perfect. When the scale is up it motivates me to run back to my safe foods, when it's down, it motivates me to test another food so I can widen the variety of what I can eat. If the scale is not moving, as it did for over a week when I began testing on my own, it motivated me to figure out what I was doing "wrong" with the self testing. I did and I started losing again. I feel like I've got control, not in a forceful way that involves so much willpower it's not sustainable. But in the sense of feeling empowered and making intentional choices. An important point about control is I just don't have the incessant hunger that would derail my former attempts! I'm eating more calories on this plan. I feel satisfied after eating instead of dealing with gnawing hunger most of the time! The weight loss is slower now and sometimes the scale has a big hiccup, but it goes back down and keeps going if I just stick to the Plan. Instead of feeling deprived and fatigued most of the time now I feel a lightness and increased energy that I've rarely felt before. That keeps me going too!

*** I couldn't have put it better! This is exactly how I feel! Love it, thanks!
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Ditto! Nicely said!
  • GmaQueenBee
    Options
    I think I'm getting the hang of this plan. I took a break yesterday and ate basically what I wanted. Down .5 pounds this morning. I had a cheesy egg omelette with some sunflower seeds, Channa Masala (chickpeas in tomato sauce) on bed of lettuce, and brown rice spaghetti with a jarred sauce and dinner salad. So glad I wasn't reactive to the sauce. I do love my spaghetti.:happy:
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi Jocymc,

Very clever dining! I will have to look for the brown rice spaghetti. Took a major weekend off this week and had some regular pasta as well as some other untested foods. Didn't get in all of my water, drank water late in the evening, then didn't sleep well.

I'm up over 2 lbs, no surprise, but not really sure what to blame. But at least I know how to lose the weight I picked up and am aware that I gained it. Weighing in every morning is revelatory!
  • GmaQueenBee
    Options
    The brown rice pasta was surprisingly good. It had a nice texture with a little bit of a nutty flavor.

Not knowing which food to blame for the weight gain was always the problem before. On break days I don't even try to figure it out. I know what I ate was untested or reactive and accept the consequences. That's what the test days are for.
  • bry8iyze
    bry8iyze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Weekends are tough for sure. Confronted with dining out and a pot luck the next day, I just tried to eat healthy and forget about testing since you can't when what's in the food is pretty unknown. At the restaurant for a birthday celeb for my son I had a chicken fetuccini alfredo. I haven't tested cheese, pasta and chicken together and it was likelly way too salty. So I was up almost 2 lbs. I did ok at the potluck with salad and what looked like a safe chicken soup and apple walnut salad. Then I had some fruit cobbler that was covered with what might have been crumbled corn chex. I haven't tested corn so that might have caused me to gain a pound. But I don't really know! It could have been sodium or the dressing on the apple salad! Who knows, but II know I'll do a real test on corn soon. The important thing is I had fun, celebrated two events and today I'm back down 2 pounds and look forward to being back to where I was tomorrow and losing even more this week. We'll see what happens next weekend!