Paleo Crunch Cereal!

Options
MiRatlhed
MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
My trainer Jason McCammon at Iron Quest fitness in Lansing, Michigan sent out our newsletter and it included this terrific sounding cereal in it. I had always been a HUGE fan of a cold bowl of cereal with Milk and Berries but now after I started eating Paleo I still wanted that bowl full of goodness each morning. Well this sounded like the ticket for my morning happiness!

Here is the recipe :

Traditional breakfast cereal is no better than a jelly doughnut. Try this savory, high fiber, low-carb option instead. WARNING: this recipe can create an addiction!

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

In large bowl combine:
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 cups almond meal
2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
4 cups raw slivered or chopped almonds

1/2 cup Truvia or stevia
2-4 Tbsp cinnamon

Mix thoroughly

Melt 1 cup virgin coconut oil with 1-2 Tbsp vanilla extract.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Spread a thin layer over two baking sheets with sides. Place in preheated oven for 25 min. Mix and bake another 5-10 min or until golden brown. Let cool on the pans for 10 minutes, store in airtight container.

Add berries and splash on some unsweetened almond or coconut milk and you have a SUPER healthy, non-diabetes-causing cereal!

I followed the recipe only adding 2 Tbsp of Raw Honey to the conconut oil while melting. This was not such a good idea as the honey has a much higher melting point and would just stay pooled up in the bottom of the pan. I made sure to stir it really good before adding it to the dry mixture. BUT I do not taste the honey anyways so I wouldn't waste the time to do it.

I had my first bowl this morning with some Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk and a cup of Strawberries and it was fantastic! I had a couple pictures of it when I took it out of the oven and they were the first pics I took with my brand new camera. Well I did not have the memory card in the camera yet so they are gone...DOH! haha Went to download them and post them up in the write up and nope, no pics.....

Enjoy!

Replies

• spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing....
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ooh that sounds delicious! It sounds a lot like Paleo Krunch from Steve's Original. The first time I poured it into a bowl with milk, I basically ate the entire container. I didn't realize how much I missed cold cereal (a favorite of mine in my pre-paleo life). Unfortunately, it's super high in calories so not something to be consumed regularly.

But I will definitely try your recipe sometime. Thanks for sharing!
  • szulbam
    szulbam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump - this sounds awesome!
  • MiRatlhed
    Options
    It is high in calories per serving so I keep it to just a cup. I have a large intake for the day being 6' 6" tall so I hardly notice it a couple hours later. I had a snack before lunch today because I was hungry.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried this with a different "meal" - ie, I'm allergic to almonds, so - I'm wondering if pecan or walnut meal would work instead (though I know it will change the texture, as almond meal is a lot finer.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

That's a lot of stevia though.

I've made something similar for my child, with coconut oil and honey, but after liking it once, she didn't want it again. What a waste. Maybe I'll try this one a bit modified and see if she likes it better. :smile:
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    bump for later
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump!:flowerforyou:
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ooh that sounds delicious! It sounds a lot like Paleo Krunch from Steve's Original. The first time I poured it into a bowl with milk, I basically ate the entire container. I didn't realize how much I missed cold cereal (a favorite of mine in my pre-paleo life). Unfortunately, it's super high in calories so not something to be consumed regularly.

But I will definitely try your recipe sometime. Thanks for sharing!

So good! I eat it straight out of the container. I have heard that these types are things are great for dessert crusts (i.e. lemon bars in Paleo Comfort Foods) But you're right, it's very dense and make/open container at your own risk! haha
  • MiRatlhed
    Options
    Hey now that is a good idea for a crust. I have not had many " snacks " since going Paleo so I might look those Lemon bars up.