Messed up

Options
I hate to even post this, because I've been on track since I started this plan 2 weeks ago. But starting on my first day of my third week, I messed up. Now I'm worried about the unknown. Did I ruin Ketosis, do I just go about everything like I didn't mess up, how long will it take to get back to normal again. Has anyone mess up, and what happened and what did you do?

Replies

• kaitie23
    kaitie23 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't worry it happends to the best of us. Also, what do you consider messing up? If you cheated and ate something you were not suppose to that will take you out of Ketosis. I consider messing up if you go over 1,000 calories and over 100 carbs, that minute that happens you are out of ketosis. If you went over your totals just one day it's not that bad. Just continue on the next day to get back on track. OR if you went over more than one day that will affect you.

The best thing to do is it just let it go and not to dwell on it. Get back on track and you will be fine. Remember it takes 3-5 days to get back into ketosis.

Just get back on track and keep going.
  • tobeftmom
    tobeftmom Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to continue on and start over and hopefully stay on plan longer this time. I feel like I failed, couldn't even stay more than 2 weeks on plan.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to continue on and start over and hopefully stay on plan longer this time. I feel like I failed, couldn't even stay more than 2 weeks on plan.

Okay, lets start by clearing something up. You did not FAIL. You had a bump in the road and strayed from the plan a bit. It is not a failure. Look at it this way -- you made it two whole weeks being on plan before you messed up. You did it for two weeks, so you know you have what it takes to do this for two more, and two more after that and so on! You had a moment of weakness in the short-term, but this is a long-term plan, and today is a clean slate! You CAN do this, but beating yourself up over the mistakes of the past isn't going to accomplish anything. Look at the good things you learned about yourself during the two weeks you stayed on plan. You are strong. You are powerful. You are determined. You have what it takes to achieve the healthy body you want.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Listen to these ladies! :-)

You'll be just fine - just get back on plan, that's all. :-) What's the worst that could have happened, from one day of going off-plan? You *might* have knocked yourself out of ketosis, but there's a fix for that. It's called......starting again tomorrow (or, right this minute). Sure, it might take you a few days to get back into ketosis, but those days will pass anyway. Wouldn't you rather be back on the path, headed in the right direction while they do?

Honestly, you know what's really helped me stay on track so far - funnily enough? It's that 'ketosis taste' in my mouth - that slightly sweet tinge to my saliva. If I can taste that, I know that I'm in ketosis - and I know that I don't want to ruin ketosis, because I know it's working for me.

My household has been chock-full of all kinds of temptations this last week - my daughter wanted me to help her make brownies (I did, then had a MF brownie of my own), a friend made an apple-cider cake as 'payment' for my hubby plowing her driveway (I had a taste the size of half my little fingernail - it *was* good), my hubby and kids made sugar cookies (little carb-bombs, those are - I really wasn't that tempted), hubby and I were out and about, and I had a couple of shakes and water with me, while he stopped for Burger King.....although I didn't *really* want that, the smell was SO juicy, and the mayonnaise was calling my name. I sucked on my shake and dealt with it. ;-) But the toughest part of the week so far was when my hubby made steaks for us to take for lunch - and to go with his, he made a mushroom gravy that was out of this freaking world. I pulled ONE mushroom out of the sauce, and almost fell over, it was so tasty. It was hard to know that that wasn't passing my taste buds in bulk!

But, I like my ketosis more than I like those tasty things. I know that once I'm done losing, and into maintenance, I can have those things again, in moderation, if I really want them. And I can wait.

(Another thing that has helped me is - if things smell good, then I smell them. Really, really smell them - last night, hubby offered me a tiny fraction of a very flavorful potato chip he'd just gotten - I didn't accept, and instead, I stuffed my face in the bag and took a deep breath. It was perfect. :-) After all, taste is mostly smell anyway. I satisfied my taste buds through smell, and that was enough.

I understand that for some folks, even smelling something might be a terrible trigger, but so far for me, it's only been satisfying in its own way. As long as I'm eating all my meals on time, so I'm not actually hungry, and being unfairly 'pushed' by my drop in blood sugar, then it's a lot easier to just say no to eating something, but thoroughly enjoying the smell anyway.
  • fitmama2e
    fitmama2e Posts: 19
    Options
    The advice here is good. Stop the pattern and get right back on. If you beat yourself up you will just continue to poor eating habits.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to think about what it was that prompted you to make the choice you made. Were you stressed out, sad, angry right before you went off plan? Make a PLAN for the next time those feeling come up. As long as you learn something from it I don't consider it "messing up". Also, just own it and keep going. If you drop you cell phone do you stomp on it till it's completely broken:) Nope. Learning these things about yourself while your on your weight loss journey is key to being able to keep your weight off and be healthy for life. You've got this!
  • AlisalGal
    AlisalGal Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    After two months of decent success - not strict adherence but feeling good about my progress and the program in general - I had the worst day. Really, really terrible food choices. I binged on cake at work - I actually snuck it and ate it, I am quite ashamed. It was an all-out binge and I really can't figure out what triggered it. Of course now mentally and physically I feel terrible. I know tomorrow I'll get back on track. After all, I've been basically on track for 60+ days, and one spectacularly bad day isn't going to completely derail me. I guess I just wanted to record somewhere for my own future reference that I made some truly terrible choices today and the price is that I feel awful. But tomorrow is a new, better day. I've already committed to an early morning bike ride and an after work yoga class, and I know I'll stay on track with Medifast meals. I have to stop dwelling on how very, very disappointed in myself I feel.
  • 77cole
    77cole Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok. So last week wasn't great. I slipped up a little. I weighed in this week with a one pound loss. At first I was really frustrated, but then I thought any loss should be celebrated. Anyways, I'm back on track. The day I started MF I stopped exercising. This is my fourth week so I'm starting to exercise again. The first day I spent about 20 minutes on my elliptical and ended up with a huge headache. Should I be adding more protein when I exercise? Is this normal?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Ok. So last week wasn't great. I slipped up a little. I weighed in this week with a one pound loss. At first I was really frustrated, but then I thought any loss should be celebrated. Anyways, I'm back on track. The day I started MF I stopped exercising. This is my fourth week so I'm starting to exercise again. The first day I spent about 20 minutes on my elliptical and ended up with a huge headache. Should I be adding more protein when I exercise? Is this normal?
    No need to add more protein. Can't comment on "normal", just make sure to drink plenty of water. I've followed the one ounce of water per pound of body weight as a minimum.
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have messed up quite a few times. I think that the body just wants all of that bad stuff....sooo badly. But when you do get back into ketosis, you will lose what you gained, for me, I lose and half the rate that I gain. (Life sucks, and then you die.).