Deadlifts in a plie?

Options
Does anyone, or has anyone else tried, doing the deadlifts in a plie position rather than the normal? I find it's much easier to keep my back straight and a nice change of pace with the thigh muscles....wondered if I'm the only one?

Replies

• chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You mean a sumo deadlift?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    like, heels touching and toes out? Or just toes pointed slightly out? or do you mean like a sumo-deadlift?

I like my toes out, a bit, personally.

ALso I thought this said "deadlifts in a pile" and I thought it was going to be very exciting.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    like, heels touching and toes out? Or just toes pointed slightly out? or do you mean like a sumo-deadlift?

I like my toes out, a bit, personally.

ALso I thought this said "deadlifts in a pile" and I thought it was going to be very exciting.

I also thought this said "deadlifts in a pile" and while I had no idea what it meant, I had to click on it right away.

Not gonna' lie, I'm a little disappointed. :laugh:
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Hmm...toes pointing very much out, not just a little. Not heels touching. I'm probably describing it wrong LOL,.

And, we should definitely investigate the possibility of deadlifts in a pile. HA!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It's probably fine. Everyone squats a little differently anyway. Do whatever is most natural to you because that's how your body moves to begin with, and having to contort ourselves in the name of "form" is never good.

I probably go out about 45 degrees or so with each foot (which would put my feet at a 90-degree angle to each other). It's where I'm most comfortable.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.....I'm gonna go out on a limb and against the grain so far and say no :noway: Suma DL is one thing, but I have studied dance and if I'm interpreting it the way I think you mean it then I say no. Form is pretty standard on DL and honestly I have never seen anything even remotely close to a plie stance. Then again, I ain't no expert!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Sad because I thought I was going to read about pile deadlifting.

I turn my toes out slightly and take a little bit wider stance for deadlifts (sometimes I forget to do this and then my hip reminds me why I should). It's not wide enough to be a sumo, but it's a little more comfortable for me.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sad because I thought I was going to read about pile deadlifting.

I turn my toes out slightly and take a little bit wider stance for deadlifts (sometimes I forget to do this and then my hip reminds me why I should). It's not wide enough to be a sumo, but it's a little more comfortable for me.
    Hip? Hip?? Got my attention... If I may ask, what does your hip do? I am frustrated by creaky, cracking, sore hips at times so anything that will help is good.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Oh haha pff she said "deadlifts" and I thought she said "squats".

My brain is NOT working today I swear! :blushing:

Yes, there is such a thing as "sumo deadlifts" where you shove your feet out about 45 degrees but I think it requires for you to hold the bar a little different.

Otherwise, nothing to see here, and disregard what I said earlier. Jeez.

But plié stance, probably not advisable at all because wouldn't your toes have to be pointing out exactly opposite each other? I can't imagine doing a DL that way. :huh:
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Maybe I've invented something, LOL.

It needs a name. I'll ask my trainer if it has one. Clearly it isn't a legit SL though. :)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    the bigger question surely is can they -give- you piles? lol!

haven't yet faced deadlifts, the potential for shin-scraping looks painful..
  • DaniH826
    Options

I wear long pants on deadlift days for exactly that reason. You're going to be touching your legs with the bar if you have proper form. Period.

P.S. This is a sumo deadlift, which is fine to do actually, and a lot of women find themselves more naturally suited to it (I may actually switch to that myself after last week's back tweak incident):

ladies-lift--sumo-deadlift.jpg
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I wear long pants on deadlift days for exactly that reason. You're going to be touching your legs with the bar if you have proper form. Period.

P.S. This is a sumo deadlift, which is fine to do actually, and a lot of women find themselves more naturally suited to it (I may actually switch to that myself after last week's back tweak incident):

Looks awesome, actually, trying TODAY. Sorry about your tweak. Tweaks = bad! Thanks for the great pic.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    great pic, freaky shoes! thanks for the trouser tip, I always wear shorts as I'm a hot bod but might need to take that into consideration! :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Sorry ho but I don't think DL in plie stance is just not a legit SL exercise.....I don't think that's a legit exercise at all!

I also don't understand how shins get scraped by the bar when it's touching? The bar does touch my legs....but my bar is smooth? :laugh: This is one thing I've never understood! Maybe I'm doing something wrong!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty common that people scrape their legs doing deadlifts. A lot of competitions require competitors to wear knee high socks so they dont end up scraping and then bleeding on the bar.

As for this exercise I dont know enough about it to comment sorry.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hmm...toes pointing very much out, not just a little. Not heels touching. I'm probably describing it wrong LOL,.

And, we should definitely investigate the possibility of deadlifts in a pile. HA!

i always DL with toes pointing out. but i am rather "duck-footed" to being with.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    great pic, freaky shoes! thanks for the trouser tip, I always wear shorts as I'm a hot bod but might need to take that into consideration! :)

Long socks.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I realize it's common to scrape legs while doing DL's.....it doesn't happen to me though so i'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong???

I do think it's common for there to be a "slight" turnout when DL'ing......but turnout in a plie stance is different....again,unless I'm misunderstanding Ho!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I realize it's common to scrape legs while doing DL's.....it doesn't happen to me though so i'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong???

No, contrary to popular belief, you don't have to tear up your shins when doing deadlifts :)