Deadlifts in a plie?

Options
2»

Replies

• misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The bar hasn't touched my shins. I can't see why it would. I've got my arms placed inside my legs. Maybe that's why?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I realize it's common to scrape legs while doing DL's.....it doesn't happen to me though so i'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong???

No, contrary to popular belief, you don't have to tear up your shins when doing deadlifts :)

Thank you taso.....the complex that was beginning to form in regards to my non-scraped shins has now subsided :)
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I realize it's common to scrape legs while doing DL's.....it doesn't happen to me though so i'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong???

No, contrary to popular belief, you don't have to tear up your shins when doing deadlifts :)

No, I don't either. I'm going to check my form next time, but I'm pretty sure it's correct. The idea is you almost touch, but not quite. Also, my mid-foot (what the bar is supposed to stay over) is well over 2" (the diameter of the Oly bar) from my shins, so unless I were bringing it closer in to my body, there's no way it would touch.

Re smooth/not smooth - the Oly I use has knurling to mark legal grip widths, and I'm pretty sure that would scrape far more than a smooth one would, if it were to contact skin.

Hack squats, however, have left me with lovely bruises all up the backs of my calves...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I do think it's common for there to be a "slight" turnout when DL'ing......but turnout in a plie stance is different....again,unless I'm misunderstanding Ho!

In a plie, you keep your bum pulled in, and your body in a straight line, and you do not hinge the back. A deadlift is specifically a hip hinge exercise. So, I agree that doing a "plie deadlift" does not make sense with proper form for either of those movements. I think the OP should do sumo deadlifts instead. A plie squat (in a wide second position) would work better.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I do think it's common for there to be a "slight" turnout when DL'ing......but turnout in a plie stance is different....again,unless I'm misunderstanding Ho!

In a plie, you keep your bum pulled in, and your body in a straight line, and you do not hinge the back. A deadlift is specifically a hip hinge exercise. So, I agree that doing a "plie deadlift" does not make sense with proper form for either of those movements. I think the OP should do sumo deadlifts instead. A plie squat (in a wide second position) would work better.

Good call :happy: :drinker: I was actually only considering the turnout....1st position for conventional DL, not even considering how you don't bend while doing them! Second position for sumo would be a little closer, but I still think it's too much turnout to incorporate into the lift.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

No, I don't either. I'm going to check my form next time, but I'm pretty sure it's correct. The idea is you almost touch, but not quite. Also, my mid-foot (what the bar is supposed to stay over) is well over 2" (the diameter of the Oly bar) from my shins, so unless I were bringing it closer in to my body, there's no way it would touch.

Re smooth/not smooth - the Oly I use has knurling to mark legal grip widths, and I'm pretty sure that would scrape far more than a smooth one would, if it were to contact skin.

Hack squats, however, have left me with lovely bruises all up the backs of my calves...

I would still insist that the bar still make contact with your shin. You just don't have to tear your shins up!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    There are so many men around here lately, I swear I can hardly tell what group I'm in anymore.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smooth bar; mine has knurls all over the place, and I have long legs that somehow are always in the way, so not wearing long pants on deadlift days is not an option. I'm not the most coordinated, graceful of people, so self-protection is paramount. :laugh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There are so many men around here lately, I swear I can hardly tell what group I'm in anymore.

sorry. yes this is awkward. should we leave? we could leave.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Taso I always find your comments super helpful, in any group I see them in.....so I'm not quite ready to vote the boys out yet!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I don't have a smooth bar; mine has knurls all over the place, and I have long legs that somehow are always in the way, so not wearing long pants on deadlift days is not an option. I'm not the most coordinated, graceful of people, so self-protection is paramount. :laugh:

Okay that makes sense....see I only workout at home right now and my oly bar is smooth where my legs are....I'm not very oly bar worldly, so I didn't know that some aren't like mine :laugh: Ignorance is bliss!
  • jayliospecky
    Options

Nah. It was just an observation. I just forget where I am briefly.
  • jayliospecky
    Options
    Also, don't underestimate what a heavy bar can do to your legs with just a "light bump" or "slight scrape." I just barely grazed my leg right above my knee the other day when doing rows and it immediately bruised up. Yeesh.
  • DaniH826
    Options

Nah. You're helpful and friendly so you can stay. :smile:

For now.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    <P.S. This is a sumo deadlift, which is fine to do actually, and a lot of women find themselves more naturally suited to it (I may actually switch to that myself after last week's back tweak incident):>

I never have hit my legs before, until today when I decided to try the Sumo DL instead - hit the tops of my knees on the way down?! It felt all awkward and unbalanced to me. Maybe my feet weren't pointed correctly. Anyhoo, back to doing them the usual way. :)
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Man, I gotta talk to this trainer LOL and get a name for this thing he had me doing. I guess it must be more of a squat, since my back is straight. I guess what made me (a noob) think that it might be a deadlift sort of thing was that the bar is on the ground initially, and i pull it up as i straighten my legs.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I never have hit my legs before, until today when I decided to try the Sumo DL instead - hit the tops of my knees on the way down?! It felt all awkward and unbalanced to me. Maybe my feet weren't pointed correctly. Anyhoo, back to doing them the usual way. :)

Interesting. I usually graze my legs, and it turns out that I was actually rounding my back and going out and down on the way down instead of just straight down, which hubby corrected Saturday. Bar is supposed to go (mostly) vertical, on the way up and on the way down which is usually why touching the legs is unavoidable. It may depend on torso and leg length and whatnot though.

I dunno. Tomorrow is deadlift day and I'm going to try it both ways and stick with whichever I do better with. Nobody says we have to deadlift one certain way or the lifting police will get us.

P.S. Here is a Rippetoe quote on the Sumo DL: "I think that sumo is of use to people with a short back and long legs, because the wide stance artificially shortens the leg segment and creates a more vertical back angle. Try them and see whet they feel like, and if you're built this way they will probably be of help. "
    (http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=21676&page=1)

In that same thread somebody posted a trunk-to-legs formula that's making my head hurt so I'm not going to even try and and understand it. :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Man, I gotta talk to this trainer LOL and get a name for this thing he had me doing. I guess it must be more of a squat, since my back is straight. I guess what made me (a noob) think that it might be a deadlift sort of thing was that the bar is on the ground initially, and i pull it up as i straighten my legs.

Oh, I see. That is more descriptive, and interesting. Yeah, ask the trainer. I did not realize you had a trainer that was guiding you to do this. Perhaps it has a name. Report back to us. I am curious about this. I might even try it.
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Feels amazing in the inner thigh and core. I'll see him Sunday and I will ask!
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

ladies-lift--sumo-deadlift.jpg

Man I wish I looked that glamorous at the gym :smile: