Bulletproof Coffee - recipe calls for 4 cups?

Options
Hi everyone.
I'm new to paleo/primal - Day 5 I believe.
Anyways I've heard everyone raving about Bulletproof Coffee and I found the recipe online but it calls for 4 cups of black coffee.
Like 1 cup = 8 ounces so 32 ounces of coffee? It's been a very long couple of weeks so my mind is fried so please excuse me if I'm not comprehending this correctly.

The reason why I'm asking is because I get up at 3:45 every morning for work and would love to drink this on the way to work/at work. But my coffee mug/traveling mug is only 16 ounces. So should I cut the recipe in half?

Or does the profound effects of BPC not work unless you drink all 4 cups? Also. Any good coffees from Trader Joes that are decent? I'm heading there after class in a few.

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I always make 16 oz. I add about 1 TBS of butter and a TBS of MTC oil. I don't think this is the right recipe, but I made it like this the first time and liked it so that's just how I do it now.

I am sure you can cut what you have in half and it be just as beneficial. I can't imagine drinking 32 oz at one time.
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    What KB said. ^ When I drink it, I use 16 oz of coffee + 1 TBS ghee/kerrygold butter + 1BS of coconut oil. Works for me :) I don't think my tummy would be too happy after 32 ounces of coffee lol.
  • pinkypr0mise
    pinkypr0mise Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lol okay thanks guys! When I read that I was like woahhh that is a lot of coffee!

I'm so excited to try it tomorrow! I mean coffee usually fills me up pretty well too. So this should be like BAM! Super filling! I hope I enjoy it. ahah
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I also do 16 oz with 1 Tbs of butter and 1Tbs coconut oil
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I do 8oz of coffee to 1 Tbs of butter and 1Tbs coconut oil.

I would double for 16oz 2 Tbs of butter and 2Tbs coconut oil.
  • ronja2
    ronja2 Posts: 36
    Options
    I do 16oz of coffee with 3 tbls of grassfed butter, 1 heaping tabls of coconut oil, and a dash of cinnamon.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Possibly the confusion might be that coffee cups traditionally measure 5 or 6 oz. So maybe the recipe didn't mean 4 cups as in 32 oz, but 4 coffee cups as in @20 oz? Anyway, I do as some of the others stated, 16 oz of coffee to a TBSP of Kerrygold unsalted butter and a TBSP of coconut oil.
  • hopeful0131
    Options
    A question for those of you who do this bulletproof coffee -- do you ever have it in the afternoon, also? Besides the idea that caffeine in the afternoon will disrupt our sleep... is there any reason not to add some ghee and coconut oil to my afternoon coffee, if I am going to have the coffee anyway? I am new to the whole idea... so thought I'd ask those of you who aren't new to this. :) All this time I saw people talking about bulletproof coffee... I thought you just meant really strong, black coffee. Until I saw this thread. So thanks!
  • hopeful0131
    Options
    ...And do you guys actually buy the "Upgraded Coffee" from the Bulletproof website? It sounds pretty awesome... but I am afraid to get hooked on it, at that price -- yikes!
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I do 12 oz with 1 TBLSP ghee and 1 TBLSP coconut oil.
  • myrnacpagan
    myrnacpagan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do 8 oz of coffee(espresso concentration decaf) and 1/3 cup of full fat coconut cream. I add 1/2 tbsp of butter sometimes but not often.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I do it with 16oz coffee, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon MCT/coconut oil. I also add unsweetened organic cocoa and cinnamon. Sometimes a bit of vanilla, too. Enjoy.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i use whatever random kcup i grab, and my brewers biggest setting, about the size of a standard mug. and I put 1tbspof coconut oil.
  • Thegle
    Thegle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am so doing this tomorrow morning instead of my normal breakfast! I'll be using Maui coffee, Nanak ghee and organic coconut oil. Should be interesting! And I am a bit shi shi foo foo when it comes to coffee so I'm just might bite the Bulletproof coffee temptation!
  • Thegle
    Thegle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am so doing this tomorrow morning instead of my normal breakfast! I'll be using Maui coffee, Nanak ghee and organic coconut oil. Should be interesting! And I am a bit shi shi foo foo when it comes to coffee so I'm just might bite the Bulletproof coffee temptation!
    I think I need either less ghee or more coffee, or maybe I'll try unsalted butter instead but it was kind of "meh"
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    what is this bulletproof coffee????? I am out of the loop!!!

signed
    huge coffee drinker
  • carolin8282
    carolin8282 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Cameron's Organic French Roast Whole Bean Coffee, and my Kuerig's biggest setting, about the size of a standard mug and I put 1TBS of MCT oil and 1TBS of unsalted Kerrygold butter. I thought it would keep me feeling full but no luck, I was hungry within an hour. So today, I put 1TBS of MCT oil and TWO TBS of unsalted Kerrygold butter and it seems to have done the trick - I'm going on 2 hours and feel pretty full BUT I've drank almost 40 oz of water also, so it could be that...
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mine- 16 oz coffee, 2 TBS unsalted Kerry Gold, 1 TBS MCT oil
    Husbands- 16 oz coffee, 2 TBS unsalted Kerry Gold, 3 TBS MCT oil. (he sometimes has 8 oz with 1 TBS each of butter and oil in the afternoon if he has a project he needs to finish and really focus on)
    My kids- 8 oz coffee, 1 TBS unsalted Kerry Gold, 1 TBS coconut oil (I use Carrington Farms cold pressed organic coconut oil from Costco). I split this between the both of them. They don't drink the entire amount. About 3 oz each. My kids have had coffee for years as part of their treatment for ADD/ADHD. This was suggested by their doctor.

I don't purchase the upgraded coffee. I buy mine at Costco. I switch brands around
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    When I made it I used 16 ounces. I also used only a teaspoon or two of coconut oil or grassfed butter. I'm a small woman and the standard recipe called for too many calories.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    what is this bulletproof coffee????? I am out of the loop!!!

signed
    huge coffee drinker

Coffee with a small amount of healthy fat mixed into it. Some people add MCT. Energy and satiety without an insulin response. Google the term and you'll find a website. I ordered the site owner's toxin-free coffee. It was good, but too expensive for me to continue using.