Squats and soreness

Options
crawfishag
crawfishag Posts: 19 Member
This morning I did workout number two and when it came to squats I couldn't even get to parallel due to soreness in my thighs. I did a warm up, and even did some stationary bike before I started. I was wondering if this was something those that have been doing 5x5 went through and if there is possibly a way to get past this or if it is something that only gets better as I continue on the plan. I widened out my stance and did sumo style squats to help some but it didn't help much.

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    A lot of starting stronglifts has to do with flexibility especially when squatting. You may want to try stretching more and maybe even look into doing some yoga style moves for your legs. Also if you were pretty sore from the last time which will affect how flexible you are. So just give it some time and maybe just do some bodyweight squats on your off days also to wok on that.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Starting any new exercise will cause that soreness - especially squats. It will certainly lessen over time. Welcome to the world of squatting. Just be careful next time you try to sit on the toilet, ha.

Regarding flexibility, that is generally not the issue for lack of depth in the squat. It is possible, but much more likely due to simply being very sore. Past soreness, if there are problems going deep enough on the squat it is generally a form issue. Feet should be at thirty degrees and knees should track out above the feet. Often the legs get in the way of depth.

Bottom line, keep at it. The soreness will lessen over time.
  • crawfishag
    Options
    It is the soreness. When I did workout number one on Monday I had no problem, for the most part, going past parallel in the squat. I believe my form is pretty good other than I have my hands wide on the bar instead of closer in. Even though I thoroughly dislike bananas I am going to buy some today on the way home from work and see if that helps some.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's normal for the 1st few workouts. Once you get used to the lifts you won't be as sore.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    if you have not been doing any regular leg work outs before starting this program this will be normal. I remember when I first started doing legs I could barely walk around for a few days but it will loosen up. As mdizzle pointed out just be careful when you sit on toilet, bc it might be hard getting up...lol
  • crawfishag
    Options
    Oh my goodness, getting up from my desk at lunch time damn near hurt me! Yeah having felt that I think a toilet would be a hell of lot worse...lol! Thanks for the advice guys.. I'm not quitting the program, just gonna suffer through this till the legs get used to it. Thankfully I don't do squats tomorrow morning. I am going to go the gym in the morning and spend some time on the stationary bike. That might work out some leg kinks before going to work.
  • Rwheltsley
    Rwheltsley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Today was my second day on the program also, pretty sore as well. Had to grunt the last set out, but my body did not like it.

It was fun though, and I look forward to going to the gym right next to work even though I have the day off just to get my workout in.

I do the 5x5 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and play hockey tuesday, thursday and saturdays. I will say though that my legs felt great at hockey last night. Super sore all day, but as soon as I started working them they felt awesome. I hope that continues.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love feeling sore from a good workout. It helps reassure me that it's working. When the soreness stops altogether I decide it's time to push harder to change up my routine. This may be valid or not, but it's something that drives me.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    lt will pass. Just make sure it's muscle soreness and not lower back pain or knee pain. DOMS is the price you pay for starting a lifting program. You'll get it in the future, but not to this extent. You'll learn to love it.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I was really sore for the first week (doing just the bar! Gak!). I also realized my leg strength was very unbalanced because my hamstrings and my groin muscles were the ones that were sore, yet my quads weren't sore at all.

But this week, I can get way down now. Just that first week of getting parallel really, really helps.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yea, first starting your legs get REALLY sore. Bananas may help some but I would make sure you are getting plenty of protein in your diet as well. Your muscles use protein to rebuild the tears.
  • Slamdunkpro
    Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was sore for the first week, then things got better as I progressed. If I have to miss a workout or 2 I"m still pretty sore the next day even 8 weeks in.
  • crawfishag
    Options
    I was going to go to the gym this morning and do half an hour of cardio but decided it might be better to rest some today so my legs could heal and I would be better off when I go back to lift tomorrow. The soreness has gotten better as the day has gone on and it feels a lot better now. The soreness is still there but its improved. I appreciate all the responses. On the protein, I try to get in all that I'm supposed to but I fall a little short of optimum intake each day. I think as I get into the program I will be able to get more protein in,
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I was going to go to the gym this morning and do half an hour of cardio but decided it might be better to rest some today so my legs could heal and I would be better off when I go back to lift tomorrow. The soreness has gotten better as the day has gone on and it feels a lot better now. The soreness is still there but its improved. I appreciate all the responses. On the protein, I try to get in all that I'm supposed to but I fall a little short of optimum intake each day. I think as I get into the program I will be able to get more protein in,

What # are you going for that you are "supposed to get"? With my height I am likely heavier than you but I try to go for 150 or more grams per day.
  • crawfishag
    Options
    I'm shooting for between 150 to 160 g of protein. On my lift days I try to make sure I hit in that range since I do my workout first thing in the morning (around 5 am). On the days I don't lift if I'm a little under, say the 120 range I don't beat myself up about it.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I'm shooting for between 150 to 160 g of protein. On my lift days I try to make sure I hit in that range since I do my workout first thing in the morning (around 5 am). On the days I don't lift if I'm a little under, say the 120 range I don't beat myself up about it.

Yea that doesn't sound bad. Just making sure you weren't going by the CDC 56 grams reccomendation.
  • Slamdunkpro
    Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    OP is it any better now?
  • crawfishag
    Options
    Yeah, the soreness has tapered off a lot. My hamstrings are still tight but all in all not bad. Friday morning when I did my squats it was sore when I started, but when I got finished with the set the soreness was almost all gone. I believe after this next weeks lifting days it should be back to normal. I do appreciate all the advice I was given.