how many calories burned in a bikram yoga class?

Options
I'm a 148 pound woman . I've been calculating 500 calories burned for each bikram yoga class. Is this right? I made this based on a guestimate and a estimates from a couple of websites.

Replies

• Shadesofjade
    Shadesofjade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4 120 and i used a calculator online to figure it out. I burn 593 calories a class so you may be underestimating a bit. I suggest googling
  • heyewe
    Options
    I found this calculator while I was trying to find out how many calories Bikram *really* burns and I found that many websites and articles use it as a reference as well: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • ksuhre
    ksuhre Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my HRM and burn between 740-840 per class. I think this may be on the high side.
  • Torqued
    Torqued Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the info on this page:

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/mets_calculation.asp

Depending on how much of the poses you are doing, I'd say METS could be anywhere from 8 - 10.
  • Babarino
    Options
    Thank you all for the information!
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I found this calculator while I was trying to find out how many calories Bikram *really* burns and I found that many websites and articles use it as a reference as well: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Thanks for sharing the link ... very interesting website with numerous calculators!
  • andrianami
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing this link (http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc) apparently I burn 558 cals I am 117 lbs.
    I estimated around 200 cals so this is a nice surprise.
  • Teaglecheer
    Options
    im thinging of going up to california when i graduate does anyone know if there is any bikram yoga classes up there or does anyone have a prefrence for one?
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    im thinging of going up to california when i graduate does anyone know if there is any bikram yoga classes up there or does anyone have a prefrence for one?

which part of california? I am in san diego and there six studios here.
  • mollylaremeter
    mollylaremeter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I found bikram caluculators online and they said i burned @ 855 for 920 mins. I wore a HRM and i really burned 476....I was super bummed about this. Im 5'3" and one twenty something lbs
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

awesome calculator! thanks for sharing!
  • Teaglecheer
    Options
    im not sure yet eisther sandiego or LA
  • Teaglecheer
    Options

which part of california? I am in san diego and there six studios here.

Is there a studio that you would recommend im either going to move to san diego or L.A.
  • uberkrafty
    uberkrafty Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I work out at a Bikram studio in Costa Mesa (Orange County) -- I'm afraid that's between LA and SD though :)
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    HRM. FT 4 read 522 calorie burn for a 90 minutes. How does this calorie burn compare to regular running, stairmaster 400, any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Rosie
  • andrianami
    Options
    Weird !

I usually input around 500 cals burn in my MFP diary for Bikram Yoga.
    As a test I wore my HRM into the yoga room. I wore the watch on my chest and not my arm because it beeps when I do the postures and it is too far from the monitor. Anyway at the end it says I burned 106cals.

That is quite weird ... Any thoughts.
    Well I guess at least I exercised. I just wish I had a better indication.

Namastee
    M::
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Weird !

I usually input around 500 cals burn in my MFP diary for Bikram Yoga.
    As a test I wore my HRM into the yoga room. I wore the watch on my chest and not my arm because it beeps when I do the postures and it is too far from the monitor. Anyway at the end it says I burned 106cals.

That is quite weird ... Any thoughts.
    Well I guess at least I exercised. I just wish I had a better indication.

Namastee
    M::

Thank you for your feedback. Yoga instructor told me that I am working hard and this appears accurate for a 5'1 106 llbs officially as of Monday. It took me 3 weeks to lose a lb. I input my MFP calorie burn as 1 calorie burn. In the past eating my exercise calorie was not getting me anywhere. It is hard to believe that I burn 500 calories. I am going to do HRM again as a trial for 3 days...It is comfortable when doing mat exercises.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I'm a 148 pound woman . I've been calculating 500 calories burned for each bikram yoga class. Is this right? I made this based on a guestimate and a estimates from a couple of websites.
    sounds about right.
    i'm 5'5" - 174lbs
    wore my HRM to class twice - my readings were 700 for one class and about 910 another class. I now just record 700 for each class because I haven't been taking my HRM to class.
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wear my HR monitor to class and burn between 450-550. Sometimes I have to lay in savasna a lot, other times I am able to do every posture.