Any success stories of EM2WL & eating what you want?

shst07
shst07 Posts: 61 Member
Hi.

I was wondering if you guys who EM2WL could share your success stories of eating what you want and staying within your calorie limits without depriving yourselves? I have asked this question before though, so sorry to repeat myself, but I love reading about people's successes without cutting out whole food groups or foods they consider 'bad'!

Thanks!

Replies

• GetFit1129
    GetFit1129 Posts: 35 Member
    I am not familiar with the abbreviation? What does that stand for? I know I will be embarrassed when you tell me and I will be like, duh!

But, to elaborate on eating what you want as long as you stay within your calorie range is not the ideal thing to do.
    Why? Because your body processes food to your advantage. What makes up a calorie is VERY important, very important. You have empty calories and then you have quality calories.

Remember the saying from our elementary school days; you are what you eat? That stands true today. If your calories add up to be full of bad fats, what does that mean? That means your arteries get clogged, your blood pressure is unstable, you may be setting yourself up for diabetics.

I follow Body for Life and in my opinion, it is the most sound eating plan available. You don't even need to count calories as long as you follow the portion controls of your food groups. I do key in my foods on MFP, just because I need to see the amount of carbs/protein/fats, etc that I am eating per day.

Okay. Just my 2 cents.
  • GetFit1129
    GetFit1129 Posts: 35 Member
    And...something I forgot to mention. If I am reading into your post correctly. Is your concern not allowing yourself the foods that you may feel deprived of eating?

If that is the case, again, body for life (BFL) instructs you to eat off plan one day a week. I have been following BFL since 2003 and now I only allow myself one free meal per week instead of a full day. I do that because I am 54 years old and my body needs more control over what I eat.
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    You should check out the EM2WL Forums. There are plenty of success stories there.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    I choose to eat clean because junk is junk...however, I love ice cream, chocolate, and some other all natural foods. I hit my macros most days and anything that fits that I want I eat. Moderation...and protein is numero uno!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    I just posted before and after photos on the Success board. I eat at a 10 to 20% cut from my TDEE and sometimes up to TDEE and although the quality of what I eat has improved I do still eat chocolate and other junk, just in moderation. I've been doing this since last summer when I started to think "this eating more and losing inches sounds perfect for this foodaholic!"
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    I follow EM2WL using an IIFYM way of eating (if it fits your macros). I get at least 1g protein per lb LBM, aiming for near 1g per lb whole body weight, then pretty much eat what I like to fit my carbs/fats macros. I do have a balanced diet though so I don't live on junk, I just eat a wide range of foods, some 'clean', some not so much.

I'm not sure I can be classed as a success yet as I'm still very much a work in progress but I've been following EM2WL since June 2012. Much of that time as been spent healing my metabolism after years of abuse and I'm currently working to rebuild some of the muscle I lost during phases of VLCDs. In a couple of months I'll be starting a cut to start trimming a bit more fat off so this is very much a long term plan.

But I've never felt deprived of food in the last 9 months, I'm stronger and fitter than ever and my BF% is considerably lower than this time last year, so for me that's a success.
  • Daymia
    Daymia Posts: 57 Member
    I can't say I am a complete success yet, as I still have a long way to go. But, thus far, I've not completely cut anything from my diet except fast food and pop (soda).

I don't want to deprive myself of anything. But, I have adhered to "everything in moderation." I occasionally eat pizza, or we go out to restaurants. I'm also a baker, so to cut out baked goods completely is just not going to happen, especially since I'm in culinary school and we eat what we make. I just try to plan ahead as best as I can, or make up for it throughout the week.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    I wouldn't really call it a 'success' yet, as I only started EM2WL at the end of January, but I have noticed muscle differences. I am so much stronger than I used to be, and that is while doing the same workouts!
    I do EM2WL 40, 30, 30 and follow an IIFIYM approach as well. I eat ice cream, chocolate have smoothies, baked goods, pasta, meat, fish, some veggies and fruit, protein powder. Whatever I feel like as long as I come near my macros and calories! :)
    It's wonderful
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    I have had a huge success with this type of philosophy...and by success I don't mean a ton of weight dropped (I was able to do that on 1200 cal/day) but my shape has changed and my metabolism is totally revved up! Even after the age of 40!

Protein is key. I have tons of little treats throughout the day. This is what prevents me from weekend/special occasion huge binges (which I used to do all the time!). I feel so "free" now when it comes to food! As long as I log it, I can have it!!!
  • shst07
    I am not familiar with the abbreviation? What does that stand for? I know I will be embarrassed when you tell me and I will be like, duh!

But, to elaborate on eating what you want as long as you stay within your calorie range is not the ideal thing to do.
    Why? Because your body processes food to your advantage. What makes up a calorie is VERY important, very important. You have empty calories and then you have quality calories.

Remember the saying from our elementary school days; you are what you eat? That stands true today. If your calories add up to be full of bad fats, what does that mean? That means your arteries get clogged, your blood pressure is unstable, you may be setting yourself up for diabetics.

I follow Body for Life and in my opinion, it is the most sound eating plan available. You don't even need to count calories as long as you follow the portion controls of your food groups. I do key in my foods on MFP, just because I need to see the amount of carbs/protein/fats, etc that I am eating per day.

Okay. Just my 2 cents.

EM2WL is Eat More to Weigh Less. Thank you so much for your input! I think Body for Life is a solid plan as well.
  • shst07
    Thank you all for the stories and tips! I will aim for hitting my protein goal for each day.
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    I am eating what I want to an extent- if it fits within my macros, i'm eating it- but be careful- you can stay within your macros and be completely deficient in Vitamins A, B and C and/or calcium. I've had days where I hit my macros and have like 5% Vitamin c (not ok!)- so eat the rainbow of veg/fruits if you can. I eat pretty cleanly- making my own food from scratch wherever possible, but I make room for wine, chocolate, chips, mexican dinners, margaritas- I still have a fun life- MUCH more fun than on 1200 calories a day (raving ***** who didn't want to go out to dinner and have fun with my honey).
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    I am eating what I want to an extent- if it fits within my macros, i'm eating it- but be careful- you can stay within your macros and be completely deficient in Vitamins A, B and C and/or calcium. I've had days where I hit my macros and have like 5% Vitamin c (not ok!)- so eat the rainbow of veg/fruits if you can. I eat pretty cleanly- making my own food from scratch wherever possible, but I make room for wine, chocolate, chips, mexican dinners, margaritas- I still have a fun life- MUCH more fun than on 1200 calories a day (raving ***** who didn't want to go out to dinner and have fun with my honey).

I eat a variety of foods too. Protein, veggies, and fiber are ideally my priority. After that, everything is fair game as long as I hit my protein (and fiber as I prefer most of my carbs to come from fibrous foods). I absolutely LOVE ice cream. I used to keep it out of the house. But as long as I focus on protein and fiber, I am not constantly thinking about it. Some days it fits, some days it doesn't. I love the newfound freedom I have. I can keep ice cream and not want to eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's a huge win in my world :).