Calories Burned

Options
bcchick33
bcchick33 Posts: 40 Member
Hi there

I just got a HRM watch for my birthday, and wore it to jazz. it calculated me at 861! Now, concidering my size, im almost positive that this is wrong. Who else has calculated what they've burned before?

Replies

• rockchalk03
    Options
    Hi there! I am 31, 5'8" and 178 lbs. I always wear my HRM to class, and I burn 550-625 calories depending on how hard I work.
  • bcchick33
    Options
    I guess I should say, that I am 24, 4'11. and 123
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'9", 118 lbs and 53. I usually burn 400 ish, depending on how I push myself.

Did you double check all your info and settings? Since HRM's rely on algorithms that were developed using averages for height, weight, age and gender....if one thing is off then the cals burned will be off too. :-)
  • bcchick33
    Options
    the only thing i could add was my age, and gender
  • McShanJazz
    Options
    Hello all! I have very high burns. 5'6", 141 and I burn about 770 per class according to my Polar.
  • McShanJazz
    Options
    That should say 700!!! Not 770 lol
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Is your monitor a chest strap or a watch? I would suggest trying it each class for a week, and seeing where you average. It could be off if you're noticing huge (100-200cal) differences between days. :)
  • jlsoules
    jlsoules Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 39 yo, and 193 lbs. I use one every day for class. Depending on the instructor and how hard I'm working, I burn 430-580 calories at a time. I can tell when it's going to be high and when it isn't. I would keep a record as suggested and see how it looks after a week of classes.

I have the Polar FT4, watch and chest strap.
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As you probably know- it's age, weight, height, and then (of course) how hard you work (heart rate) that determine your total burn for a session. It is going to be different every time. I know that I get more calories teaching than when I just go to class. I also burn more when my district manager shows up!

:)
  • McShanJazz
    Options
    I never saw your post. Consistently burning 700/class... It's a chest strap. My heart rate gets VERY high, the second I get on stage it is at 130. But driving to class, it's 61. Adrenaline!! I am 26, so my 100% HR should be 194.... I have hit 200 before. I wonder if it's directly related to actual calories burned, or just the actual beating of my heart. Hmmmmm
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I guess I should say, that I am 24, 4'11. and 123
    the only thing i could add was my age, and gender
    BBchick: I have a new Polar HRM on my list for Christmas! (My old one started giving me bad readings - low & high).
    I agree with you, though, that a 860 calorie burn for 123 lb female is high for 60 minutes of Jazzercise. The fact that you got a chest strap is great because it can get a better gauge of your intensity, but without it knowing your weight, it may be just using the average woman's weight which is like 160 lbs.
    Jazzercise uses the tag line, "600 calories in 60 minutes" that is for the average woman at the average intensity.
  • tgducky
    Options
    Do you all use the calories as they are calculated on myfitnessPal or do you enter in what your HRM says? I don't have an HRM so I have been using the amount that MyFitnessPal gives...although it lumps Jazzercise and "slimnastics" together. It always seems low to me. I'm 30, 5'1'' and 130lbs and it usually says 355 calories for an hour. I'm an instructor also. It seems like it isn't taking strength training into consideration. Thoughts?
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am jealous of all the high calorie burns!! I am 5 " 1' and 138 lbs and on average I burn 250- 300 a class. And that is with sweat and moderate intensity. I have been wearing a HR Polar watch with strap for a year now. Doing Jazzercise off and on for 10 yrs.
  • fitgma4
    Options
    Im 51 and 5'1" and I weigh 110. I burn 400 average per class. I Jazzercise 3 days a week at moderate to high intensity. I have the Polar watch with the chest strap. The calculation my instructor had me do for my "working" heart rate was 94-144. I'm always up to the 170's at the peak of the class. To keep it under 144, I would have to do very low impact. That would not be fun for me. I love to kick it up a notch. Some class members say that at my suggested working heart rate I will burn more calories. Does anyone know what happens when it's higher. Someone said it's muscle building.
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, 5'7" and weigh 162. I have a Polar FT4. I usually burn between 450 - 525 calories a class but have gotten as high as 600+ depending on the instructor and routines.

As my weight goes down I adjust it in the personal settings to keep it accurate.
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Did a Circuit class this morning with my favorite instructor and burned 647 calories per my HRM. This girl was on FIRE!
  • megliner
    megliner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Does anyone recommend a certain HRM watch that they like? I've been looking for one I just don't know which ones work
  • megliner
    megliner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing because I do not have a HRM either. I would love to know how accurate it is because no matter how intense I am it gives me the same calories burned...I'm 5'5" 26 180 lbs and it says I burn 490 for 60 mins
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" and about 130 lbs. I attend 5-6 classes/ week and working as hard at it as I can, I burn only around 400 calories. I think the more classes you do, the more likely your body adapts and I just can't burn more than that. I especially noticed how my calories. burned, decreased over the course of the year last year when I did 250 classes. I couldn't even reach 390 calories.

Here is something very interesting...... I started doing the first 3 routines as hard as I can, then alternate high and low for the rest and I burn more calories than doing the whole class at high impact. I HATE that they dropped the circuit classes and the reason they gave makes no sense at all. Circuit was my favorite format and burned the most calories.
  • Tawna2017
    Tawna2017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Love these posts! 5'5" and 130 pounds! ***wishing*** with stars in my eyes! Working out 6 to 7 days a week now so I guess I'm doing more than just wishing!