The next meet...

Options
Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
Okay, when is your next meet, where, and what weight class will you be in?

Replies

• littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    5/11/2013 Light heavyweight open men pittsburghs strongest man North american strongman sanctioned (edit i believe its in cannonsburg)

may 24/25 kumite classic full meet powerlifting ...raw not sure if sanctioned by 100% raw or not details not clear this year yet not sure on weight class but i assume 220lb open mens raw class (edit its in monroville pa)

I started cutting weight and i was up to 243 now im currently 226 so hopefully by then ill be 215 comfortably
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    June 14th. Australian GPC Nationals. Will be competing in the 82.5kg (181) class and hoping for somewhere around 200/110/240-250.

I have a strongman event in April before that though :smile:
  • littlebigsteve
    Options
    how does no one else have a show/competition coming up
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I know, whats up with that?
  • littlebigsteve
    Options
    maybe alot of the guys just arent checking this board
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Tartan Day South - Columbia SC, April 6th. My traditional "start to the season" game.

Been working on the speed and throwing for the past few weeks, and some full-body work (flipping tires, farmer's walks, sled drags) to flush all the winter funk out of the system before I show the kilted crew what "Panda Power" means now!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I won't be entering a meet until my lifts are less pathetic. There is absolutely no point in entering the 198 class with a sub-1300 total, unless one has some kind of strange fetish for embarrassing themselves. I should be there within the year though, assuming that I stop being a *kitten* and actually follow a peaking protocol for it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I won't be entering a meet until my lifts are less pathetic. There is absolutely no point in entering the 198 class with a sub-1300 total, unless one has some kind of strange fetish for embarrassing themselves. I should be there within the year though, assuming that I stop being a *kitten* and actually follow a peaking protocol for it.

It's worth going, just to get a feel for how they go. There is no embarrassment; it's a very supportive environment, at least from what I've seen with my local USAPL.

Also, I recommend you somehow let go of your hatred of belts and wear one at the meet. Otherwise you will likely be robbing yourself of some extra pounds.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

It's worth going, just to get a feel for how they go. There is no embarrassment; it's a very supportive environment, at least from what I've seen with my local USAPL.

Also, I recommend you somehow let go of your hatred of belts and wear one at the meet. Otherwise you will likely be robbing yourself of some extra pounds.

I went to see JL compete at an SPF meet back in January, so I managed to get a pretty good feel at how they work. I know actually competing in one is different, but my biggest thing was wanting to know how they are structured, which I definitely got.

My actual plan is to compete in USSF, assuming it takes off. It's pure raw full meet rules. No suits, no wraps, no belts, no bench only or push/pull flights. Just the lifter, the bar, a squat rack or mono (all lifts have to be walked even out of the mono if you opt for it), a bench, and all three lifts.

As such, there's no sense in me getting used to something I couldn't use.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I went to see JL compete at an SPF meet back in January, so I managed to get a pretty good feel at how they work. I know actually competing in one is different, but my biggest thing was wanting to know how they are structured, which I definitely got.

My actual plan is to compete in USSF, assuming it takes off. It's pure raw full meet rules. No suits, no wraps, no belts, no bench only or push/pull flights. Just the lifter, the bar, a squat rack or mono (all lifts have to be walked even out of the mono if you opt for it), a bench, and all three lifts.

As such, there's no sense in me getting used to something I couldn't use.

That makes perfect sense then. :drinker:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I would be a first time competitor, but there's a meet in mid July within driving distance near me.
    It's the bench and dead lift, I'm allowed to use a belt, but not a suit.
    I'm just wondering do you guys think I would have enough time to train for it?
    I'm starting a cut right now, but maybe in a month or 2 I could focus on the bulking.
    My 1 rep max now for deadlift is 150, but my bench is starting at maybe 40 lbs.
    obviously, I have a lot to do for both, but I'm going to do heavy lifting during both phases.

If I don't have enough time for this meet, I can do it next year.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Hi guys, I would be a first time competitor, but there's a meet in mid July within driving distance near me.
    It's the bench and dead lift, I'm allowed to use a belt, but not a suit.
    I'm just wondering do you guys think I would have enough time to train for it?
    I'm starting a cut right now, but maybe in a month or 2 I could focus on the bulking.
    My 1 rep max now for deadlift is 150, but my bench is starting at maybe 40 lbs.
    obviously, I have a lot to do for both, but I'm going to do heavy lifting during both phases.

If I don't have enough time for this meet, I can do it next year.

No real reason not to. With it being a push/pull meet, you will have one less lift to stress about, and it will be a shorter meet, time wise. If nothing else, it will give you a feel for how the meets work, and you'll know what to expect when you go to a full meet. As a newer lifter, you're not exactly going to be going in and smashing records anyway (though it would help if we knew your state, fed, and weight class on that) so really, just go for the experience, even if you don't compete. Observation is always good too. ;)
  • littlebigsteve
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with waiting for atleast a 1300lb total, not being a **** here but i agree there is no point if you cant even push yourself mentally on the platform also unless you are competing for a important title i dont see the point in the belt or wraps myself, who cares about a few pounds if its not states or nats etc besides going out there and hitting 1400lbs no belt or gear makes it less embarrassing than hitting 1460 with it ...i dont belt but if i was at nats or something i probably would for the little extra, your first meet is just an experience meet anyway, so perhaps do a push pull meet first so its not so serious then eventually do a 3 meet....i did two deadlift comps before i ever did a full meet
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    if we knew your state, fed, and weight class

I don't know what you mean by state and fed?
    Today I'm in the 220 weight class, but i would be anticipating
    being in either 198 or 181 weight class. Last year there was no one
    competing in the 181, 2 in the 198.
    so I would get a medal just for participating.
    But of course I would still want respectable numbers.
    I'm in the first week of the cut now.

It's in Columbia,MO at the Show-Me-State Games