New to Type 2... Looking for suggestions.

Options
stacey_mntx
stacey_mntx Posts: 36 Member
Hello All... My hubs was recently diagnosed with Type 2 a few weeks ago. He immediately started medication for glucose and high cholesterol and we also made drastic changes to our diet. We are both feeling a little overwhelmed with all the changes - especially me who is responsible for getting the groceries and fixing meals. Need suggestions in the following areas:

- After drastically cutting back carbs to 5 or 6 servings a day hubby is STARVING. Are we cutting back too much on his carbs?

- Any recommendations for websites with great recipes?

Replies

• Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 and eat a low-carb diet. It has greatly helped to get my blood sugars under control. If your hubby is eating low carb he will need to increase his fats in order to decrease hunger. After a week or two of eating this way I lost my craving for carbs. I would encourage you to go to the website bloodsugar101.com. Other sites to learn from are diabetesdaily and diabetesforums.

I have been able to decrease my insulin from 100 units down to 40 units and I'm off one of my oral meds for diabetes. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    How many carbs he can tolerate is very individual. Many folks here keep there's under 50, others under 100, others under 40% of daily intake. How much carb he can tolerate is probably yet to be determined. Personally, I eat 15-30 grams per meal and snack, and I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks. It's not unusual for my daily intake (not subtracting fiber, sugar alcohols, etc.) to be between 150 and 200. He may have some wiggle room, but the trick is to first get the blood sugar down, and then experiment, slowly and with minimal adjustments. You may want to consider upping protein bigtime to fill the starvation feeling. Some can do it with veggies, and that's an important addition, but for me I always feel hungry in an hour unless I have protein with every meal and snack.

Good for both of you that he has your support and you want to know more to help. And good for you. This is a tricky life-changing disease. Your support will be immense for him. Good luck!
  • stacey_mntx
    Options
    Thanks, guys... Yes, it has been a learning experience to say the least! The diet is actually really, really good for the whole family. Plus, he is motivated to get this under control so he doesn't have to inject insulin. His blood sugars are really high (his fasting sugars started out at over 240, now down to 160 a few weeks later). I would assume, since his cholesterol is high as well, that we have to be careful what kind of protein he gets, right?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    - After drastically cutting back carbs to 5 or 6 servings a day hubby is STARVING. Are we cutting back too much on his carbs?
    Stay on plan, in a few weeks the cravings should dissipate.
    - Any recommendations for websites with great recipes?
    Here's a couple of sites with low carb recipes:
    http://yourlighterside.com/your-lighter-side-cookbook/
    http://www.sugarfreemom.com/
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Is your husband eating less volume of food than he was before? If so, it is quite an adjustment for him to be eating less. How is he about eating vegetables and salads? The fiber in them will help to keep him full. And replacing his unhealthy carbs for more protein and healthy fats will, also. I found some good recipes at http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/

There are plenty more on the MFP Food and Nutrition message board. Good luck to you both.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It is great that you have joined MFP in support of your husband. Is your hubby exercising? This has helped tremendously in lowering my fasting blood sugar. Before, my fasting was well over 200 and now, it is consistently around 100 (and even lower). The healthier diet has been huge in reducing my numbers as well. My macros are set at 40% Carbs (156g), 30% Fat (52g), and 30% Protein (117g) and I eat under 1600 calories/day (and usually don't eat back my exercise calories).

Keep supporting your husband. If he continues on a healthier path, his doctor should be very pleased with his progress at his next appointment.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacey and welcome to this support group. You've made a really good decision in joining a group where you will get plenty of support and encouragement. It's really great to know that you're fully committed to helping your husband gain control over his blood sugars. Family support can make a huge difference. You specificaly asked about ideas and information sources; dlife.com is a good source and diabetes .co.uk for members living in the UK.
    many group members can identify with the sense of confusion and varying information sources on diagnosis. Sometimes there is so much information and some of it apparently contradictory that we simply get overwhelmed. Take a deep breath and take it one issue at a time. If your husband has not yet been given a place on a diabetes education course then I suggest that he follows this up as soon as possible. The vast majority of people who have done these courses find them really useful in understanding the condition and learning to deal with it. While diabetes is a lifelong serious condition, the good news is that with an effective approach really good levels of control can be achieved leading to a healthy active lifestyle.
    One of the really important things to understand is that diabetes is a very individual condition and what works for one person may not work for the next person. Its only by trial and error can we discover what works for us as individuals and then stick to that plan through thick and thin. That's why there appears to be so much conflicting information.
    A number of members have already made suggestions about information sources to which I would add the Insulin Resistance Diet book as a good source of information.
    I've already pointed out the problem of being too prescriptive in dealing with diabetes. There is however a general consensus view that a reasonable target to aim for would be about 45 net carbs per main meal with say 20 net carbs allowed for snacks. This will give a daily target of 155 net carbs (total carbs less fibre). Another thumb nail target would be to set a target ratio for Carbs, Protein and Fat of say 40:30;30; where 1 net carb is worth 4 cals; 1 gm of fat is worth 9 cals and 1 gm protein is worth 4 cals. This means that for a daily allowance of say 1200 cals the allowances for each of the macronutrients would be Net Carbs 120; Fat 40 gms; 90 gms of protein.
    Don't get hung up if you can't achieve these targets, just start from where your husband is and work towards them.
    One of the best pieces of advice I was given in this group was to pre-plan every meal or at least be aware of the nutritional value of each food item. Doing this helps to make good choices. Be aware that the MFP programme is not a quick fix solution. Quick fixes never work long term. MFP is about a change of lifestyle which once learned can be maintained for the rest of our lives.
    The programme requires the honest logging of all foods eaten, it needs determination, persistence and above all patience. The good news is that it works as the testimonies of countless people here will prove. Take your time to read over the various boards in the group and when you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of genuine people here who are willing to share their experience and to give lots of encouragement. If you think I might be able to help you then don't hesitate to send me a find request. I wish you and your husband well as begin this very important journey to a healthy and active life.
  • dylansmom87
    dylansmom87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there, i tooo was just diagnose and my Dr and dietician suggest up to 45 carbs per meal and up to 20 for snack. I usually dont even hit that mark , but im not hungry.
  • stacey_mntx
    Options
    Such fantastic information! Many thanks to you all for your support during this confusing experience! Wow... what would we do without the internet??!!?
  • stacey_mntx
    Options
    Hi Stacey and welcome to this support group. You've made a really good decision in joining a group where you will get plenty of support and encouragement. It's really great to know that you're fully committed to helping your husband gain control over his blood sugars. Family support can make a huge difference. You specificaly asked about ideas and information sources; dlife.com is a good source and diabetes .co.uk for members living in the UK. ...

The programme requires the honest logging of all foods eaten, it needs determination, persistence and above all patience. The good news is that it works as the testimonies of countless people here will prove. Take your time to read over the various boards in the group and when you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of genuine people here who are willing to share their experience and to give lots of encouragement. If you think I might be able to help you then don't hesitate to send me a find request. I wish you and your husband well as begin this very important journey to a healthy and active life.

Such a wonderful and well thought-out answer! Thank you for your encouraging words... They really do make a difference. :)
  • jabadahut
    jabadahut Posts: 16
    Options
    I started drinking homemade green smoothies between meals. Keeps me from craving the old junk food and I eat less at mealtime. Do your research first though. Big differance between green smoothies and fruit smoothies. Also dont get sucked into store bought.