Just Started Insanity!

Options
I just started yesterday! I did the fit test yesterday and did workout 1 today and it was tough! I'm really excited about this program and I am dedicated to finishing it in time to look awesome for my engagement pictures in June!!! If you want to be my friend for support, just add me. The more the merrier :)

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    And you will look awesome, mark my words :smile:
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started! Awesome to hear that you're so excited about starting Insanity. Keep that way of thinking and do what's necessary to stay motivated.

Here's my advice for you:

1) Just do it. There will be days when you're tired, don't feel like working out or don't feel like you have the energy. Just keep putting the DVD in and pressing play.

2) Do what you can but push yourself. No one I've talked to started Insanity and thought the workouts were easy. Even the people on the DVDs need to take a break every now and then. Go at your own speed and just do what you can. However, when just doing what you can gets easier, push yourself harder.

3) Follow the exercise schedule as directed. The first time I did Insanity I didn't always do the recovery days, didn't always take a day off and totally skipped the recovery week between month 1 and 2. That first time, I didn't make it out of the 1st week of month 2.

3A) This time around (my 2nd attempt at Insanity), I now see the benefits of the recovery days. Your body needs it and the recovery days do a great job of letting your body rest while keeping it active so that you can perform in your next workouts. You will have better workouts and the ability to have better form if you take advantage of the recover days due to letting your body recover.

3B) As for the recovery week, I believe that it not only allows your body to rest/recover but it also allows your mind to reset. At the end of Month 1 your progress should allow you to really push yourself during the Month 1 workouts. You start getting a mindset that you can do anything and pushing through the workouts is no longer the challenge it originally was. If you start Month 2 before doing the recovery week, not only is your body still reeling from the effects of Month 1 but so is your mind. For me, the increased intensity and difficulty of the Month 2 workouts caused me to stop my first attempt at Insanity because my mind was still set thinking I should be dominating these workouts like I was in Month 1. This time around, I noticed during the recovery week that my body was no longer sore and, as instructed by Shawn T, you don't push yourself as hard during the recovery week exercises. This resets your mind back to "ok, just do what you can and get through this" when you start the Month 2 workouts instead of thinking you should be able to perform in them like you did the Month 1 workouts. This has been the biggest change for me during my 2nd time through Insanity.

Good luck!
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I just got done with week two, feel free to add me! :D
  • Takyrah
    Takyrah Posts: 3
    Options
    Day 11 today... Cardio Power & Resistance is on my program... I can feel that some of the exercises are easier for me now.. Still tough but after a workout I feel so much better!
  • CandiceTenille
    CandiceTenille Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Here's my advice for you:

1) Just do it. There will be days when you're tired, don't feel like working out or don't feel like you have the energy. Just keep putting the DVD in and pressing play.

2) Do what you can but push yourself. No one I've talked to started Insanity and thought the workouts were easy. Even the people on the DVDs need to take a break every now and then. Go at your own speed and just do what you can. However, when just doing what you can gets easier, push yourself harder.

3) Follow the exercise schedule as directed. The first time I did Insanity I didn't always do the recovery days, didn't always take a day off and totally skipped the recovery week between month 1 and 2. That first time, I didn't make it out of the 1st week of month 2.

3A) This time around (my 2nd attempt at Insanity), I now see the benefits of the recovery days. Your body needs it and the recovery days do a great job of letting your body rest while keeping it active so that you can perform in your next workouts. You will have better workouts and the ability to have better form if you take advantage of the recover days due to letting your body recover.

3B) As for the recovery week, I believe that it not only allows your body to rest/recover but it also allows your mind to reset. At the end of Month 1 your progress should allow you to really push yourself during the Month 1 workouts. You start getting a mindset that you can do anything and pushing through the workouts is no longer the challenge it originally was. If you start Month 2 before doing the recovery week, not only is your body still reeling from the effects of Month 1 but so is your mind. For me, the increased intensity and difficulty of the Month 2 workouts caused me to stop my first attempt at Insanity because my mind was still set thinking I should be dominating these workouts like I was in Month 1. This time around, I noticed during the recovery week that my body was no longer sore and, as instructed by Shawn T, you don't push yourself as hard during the recovery week exercises. This resets your mind back to "ok, just do what you can and get through this" when you start the Month 2 workouts instead of thinking you should be able to perform in them like you did the Month 1 workouts. This has been the biggest change for me during my 2nd time through Insanity.

Great advice dsendre! I just started this week as well and I'm loving it! It's challenging, but even if you just do what you can you still get a great workout from it... and Shaun T cracks me up. Hehe. Good luck everyone!