New to the group!!

Options
sarahbw22
sarahbw22 Posts: 130 Member
Hi everyone!!

My name is Sarah and I started the C25K this week. I completed Day 2 yesterday and so far I'm really loving the program. I feel like I actually have a chance at running now, something I never thought possible before. I just went through some of your success stories and I can't wait to be able to post mine. If anyone would like a friend to go through this with, please feel free to add me. I'm super supportive and log daily. (Unless I pass out and forget to complete my diary.) Good luck everyone!!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great job getting out there! I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
  • sarahbw22
    Options
    Great job getting out there! I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Thank you!!
  • runwithJesus
    Options
    Hi, Sarah and Group! I am new, as well. Today I am starting Week 3. Looking forward to seeing everyone's success.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Just as you begin, I'm due to finish. I started C25K in Jan and I'm due to complete week 9 this week, so the finish line is in sight. I'm so excited to be graduating. I just want to offer my support and wish you every success. It's a great spring board to get one into running.

With the first 60 second run I thought I was going to die. It took me all of the 3 mins to recover before the next 60 second run. Now I can run 30 mins straight off, no stopping and my stamina is getting stronger with each run. I don't think I cover 5K but I'm not bothered about that, I'm going to build on time as apposed to distance, for now anyway.

So good luck to you and I too will be following your progress.
  • jlmed
    jlmed Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just completed the program over the weekend and am running my first 5K in 2 weeks. It is amazing to see yourself go from not being able to run to being able to run 35 minutes while having a conversation! Love the C25K program. I will be continuing on with the C210K:smile:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    anne and jlmed - Great job! Seeing the changes in yourself throughout this program is so amazing. It makes me wonder what else I'm holding back on because I think I can't do it....
  • sarahbw22
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses!!! Congrats to those of you who have completed or are just about to complete it. It truly is amazing what we are capable of once we put our heart and soul into it. :)
  • Cara85K
    Cara85K Posts: 122
    Options
    I started Week 3 on Monday and couldn't believe I could actually do the 3 minute runs. I started working out in January and am horribly out of shape but I'm working on it! :)
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Welcome!
    I did week 4 day 2 today, it is great program!
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I did my first C25K run today. I'm excited to be starting this program. Please feel free to add me. I'm logging everyday and could use the support.
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

Good luck on your C25K program. I'm on Week 7 and still enjoying it.

I signed up for an actual 5K race to keep me motivated and on track. I'm sure there are lots of opportunities in NC.

-Bob
  • likitisplit
    Options
    mjn18 - The first day was my hardest day. Completing it was a major accomplishment. Great job getting out there!
  • newfie_74
    newfie_74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group, too! I'm attempting (defeating??!!) W5D2 tonight.

I've recruited my daughter, sister and a few GF's to run a local 5K in June, that's my goal... not to die running that!

I am currently running inside, but when spring has sprung, I am going outside. I'm going to be "that fat chick running down the road", but not for long! LOL
  • likitisplit
    Options
    When I first started, everything sloshed from side to side with every step. All I got from my neighbors was "You go!"

It's better to be "that fat chick running down the road" than "that fat chick sitting on the couch" but, trust me, the ONLY person thinking that about you is the one you see in the mirror. Most people just wish they had the strength to get out there. The ones that do have the strength...they totally know what it's like to be a beginning runner.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group as well and planning on starting soon so good luck to you all and congrats to those who have already finished!
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. I just joined the group here. I started C25K last week, but I am only doing the program every other day, as I just can't handle walk/running every single day. On my off running days, I am doing cardio workouts so I stay busy.
    This morning was day 3... which wouldn't be so bad, but I went walking with some friends yesterday at the park and we walked a little over 5 miles, on top of the 2 miles I'd already walked that day lol.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. I just joined the group here. I started C25K last week, but I am only doing the program every other day, as I just can't handle walk/running every single day. On my off running days, I am doing cardio workouts so I stay busy.
    This morning was day 3... which wouldn't be so bad, but I went walking with some friends yesterday at the park and we walked a little over 5 miles, on top of the 2 miles I'd already walked that day lol.

I think you're only supposed to do it every other day anyway. It's only 3 days a week! Good for you and keep it up!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Exactly. You NEED your rest days. Great job on getting started and welcome to the group!
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi Group! I am new (again) doing day 3 of week one tomorrow. I am combining this with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and hoping to get a boost in my energy and stamina over all. I tried c25k once before (got to week 3) and also c25k treadmill (got to week 3). I failed both ways because I was unable to regulate my breathing and I had bad shoes....or at least that is what I am telling myself. The last 2 sets I have run until I felt I would hyperventilate and that was just the short bursts of day 1 and 2. This may be the stupidest question ever but do you have any tips on breathing?

You see in my case I am starting from exactly couch. Not an overstatement. I am not fit. I do not move quickly. I am determined but ill prepared. My muay thai instructor said to breathe every 3 steps (I was trying to inhale or exhale on every skip of jumping rope at the time and almost passing out). I try do that while running but by the end of 30 seconds I am nearly gasping. I am hoping this is something I can improve. I want my legs to give out before my lungs do. I don't have asthma or any medical condition I am aware of.
  • sarahbw22
    Options
    I just saw all these responses!! Thank you everyone!! Please feel free to add me if you're looking for support!! I start Week 2 today and I'm really excited!! My husband is even doing it with me, which makes it so much better.