I have hashimotos

Options
Hi guys I am a 26 yr old mom to 2 girls. I was diagnosed with hashimotos 4 months post partum with my second daughter. I have been on synthroid ever since. I am having an extremely hard time losing weight and wanted to know if you have any tips?

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I am a 26 yr old mom to 2 girls. I was diagnosed with hashimotos 4 months post partum with my second daughter. I have been on synthroid ever since. I am having an extremely hard time losing weight and wanted to know if you have any tips?

Has your doctor given you information on how to reduce your Hashi's antibodies?

Does your doctor test your free T3 and free T4, or just your TSH?
  • raeraebeau
    Options

Does your doctor test your free T3 and free T4, or just your TSH?

He tests tsh, t3 and t4. But I think he must only be treating me for having low thyroid . I never knew there was something to do to reduce the hashimotos antibodies?
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at age 14 I'm now knocking on 45. To be honest it will be a regular struggle. Some have no problem with losing, If you do you pretty much will always have to keep an eye on it.
    I have just started taking 3 -4 tablespoons of Unrefined Virgin Coconut oil. It seems to have given me more energy. I have removed all gluten food and added VIt D and Magnesium to my regimen. I started the VCO 2 weeks and this weekend weight in I was down 2 lbs. that was after 30 days of no loss. I also up to my net calories to 1600, up from 1400, previously up from 1200. make sure your not eaten less than you should! Friend me and I will accept.

Peggy
  • TammyS3
    TammyS3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I, too, have Hashimotos. I have struggled for years with my weight. I finally just got to a point where I accepted the fact that I was going to be fat and I'd just have to live with it. Well, in November, I decided that I would not live like that anymore. I started dieting first, then in January, I started working out, nothing heavy, just treadmill/bicycle. I'm down 29 lbs since 11/1. HOWEVER, I've been at 29 lbs for 3 weeks now. I'm trying to figure out what to do now.
  • charleschip
    charleschip Posts: 31 Member
    Options

How are you doing this? More Selenium or a combination of things?

raeraebeau I'm new to all of this to so you're not alone. I found out over the holidays at 44 I have hashimotos.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

raeraebeau I'm new to all of this to so you're not alone. I found out over the holidays at 44 I have hashimotos.

There are a number of things you can do - the antibodies basically get all riled up when your immune system does, so anything that calms your immune system down helps reduce the antibodies (and therefore reduce their constant attack on your thyroid, which helps levels out your hormones).

Accupuncture helps a lot of people. Supplementing with selenium (or eating 1-2 brazil nuts daily), some people fine kelp (i.e. iodine) helps.

MANY people fine relief from going gluten-free, even for a short time.
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    I just take my prescribed dose of synthroid and that's it.

• raeraebeau
    Options
    Wow how did you lose the weight?. I need motivation for sure, whenever I get my period I snack oops lol
    I, too, have Hashimotos. I have struggled for years with my weight. I finally just got to a point where I accepted the fact that I was going to be fat and I'd just have to live with it. Well, in November, I decided that I would not live like that anymore. I started dieting first, then in January, I started working out, nothing heavy, just treadmill/bicycle. I'm down 29 lbs since 11/1. HOWEVER, I've been at 29 lbs for 3 weeks now. I'm trying to figure out what to do now.
  • cactuspetal1
    cactuspetal1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am nearly 66 years old and have Hashimotos too. I have had it for quite a few years now. I went to a doctor who was also interested in women's hormones etc. and treated me for menopause with progesterone as he found out I had too much oestrogen.

Anyway, I had 4,600 antibodies (from my body) attacking my thyroid - Dr Wilson sent me for a blood test which was away for over 6 weeks. In the laboratory they apparently let the blood grow cultures etc. and they found out about the antibodies. I now take 2 drops of sodium selenite drops (Selenium 800mcg/ml) a day which I have been doing for a long time. After the first year my antibodies attacking the thyroid dropped down to about 600. One of these days I will go back to that doctor and do the test again. I take 150mcg oroxine for 5 days and 100 mcg for 2 days which works quite well for me.

You would have to find a general practitioner who also prefers helping people with natural medicines if possible. I have to buy the drops from a compounding chemist which is what we call it in Australia. Hope this is of help to you.

PS: I have battled with my weight all my life. Have gone up and down like a yoyo, but I'm still trying.
  • charleschip
    charleschip Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Welcome, focus, learn from folks here and other places and I have faith you can do it girl! I also have Hashi's! Life changes is what it's about.
  • tinarex
    tinarex Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have hashi too. It definitely is a bummer as far as trying to lose weight goes. As others mentioned, it has been something I constantly have to stay on top of or I gain like crazy. I lost 40 pounds before my wedding in September and in the 18 days between my wedding + honeymoon till I went to my endo I gained 10 pounds just from eating more freely than I had been.

Now I am trying to get back on track. I've been eating healthy and am doing JIllian Michaels' 30 day shred. Regarding this- I am wondering if anyone else has joint pain? I've been taking 50,000mg vit D each week and thought it was helping with that but doing this workout my knees feel like they will just break into a million pieces at any moment. If anyone has advice to joint pain remedies they've found that would be a huge help!