Lets talk Food

Options
lilvonne80
lilvonne80 Posts: 24 Member
What foods do you add in to "UP YOUR CALOREIS"? I like everyone else is having a hard time doing this so I figured a thread on how we do it individually will help us collectively.
instead of
3 hb egg whites I eat 4
1 whole 3:9 english muffin instead of 1/2
50 almonds instead of 25
1 extra tuna packet preworkout
1/2 soy milk 1/2 water in my protien shakes
That's all I got anyone else?

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating just the egg whites, eat the whole egg
    Add peanut butter or other nut butters to everything (protein shakes, oatmeal)
    Add protein powder to anything appropriate - breakfast smoothies, oatmeal, snacks during the day
    Double up the meat in any recipe
    Use extra virgin olive oils in cooking, over salads, by itself if you really need to
    Add legumes to salads to boost cals
  • lilvonne80
    Options
    I am not a fan of the whole egg, kinda gross... I have cans of black beans and I love hummus and pita for a snack. I've tried the protein powder add thing and it makes my food taste funny. Maybe its my brand. hmmm I've been short by like 250- 300 calories.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and almond butter are my go-tos if I'm short the end of the night, and I'm usually low on fats. Sometimes with a spoon, sometimes on a rice cake, but so yummy.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options
    If I have room at the end of the day, I toast a piece of high quality whole grain bread, spread a tablespoon of natural PB on it, and drizzle with honey. For some reason, toasting the bread makes it taste so much better.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do you like avocado? Mix a mashed avocado with your tuna and with chopped eggs. Creamy and yummy! My husband doesn't like avocado. This week I made his egg sandwich with avocado and chilli flakes instead of mayo. He's a convert :D
  • KatieDuvall612
    KatieDuvall612 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I often add coconut oil to smoothies, vegetables, and hot tea. I also like avocados.

Nuts and seeds are great too. I can't eat nuts any more due to an allergy but if I'm short on calories at the end of the day then I'll have 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds as a snack because it easily adds 200 calories.
  • lilvonne80
    Options
    I often add coconut oil to smoothies, vegetables, and hot tea. I also like avocados.

Nuts and seeds are great too. I can't eat nuts any more due to an allergy but if I'm short on calories at the end of the day then I'll have 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds as a snack because it easily adds 200 calories.
    I never thought about just adding a handful of nuts to hit my goal. I saw everyone say just add fats but the two didn't click now they do. Thanks!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Adding healthy fats, as someone already mentioned, will help! Nuts, nut butters, hummus, avocado, coconut oil, EVOO. Every drop counts!

Another way I increase my calories (and protein in the process) is to eat a larger than average piece of meat or fish. I'll eat 6-8 ounces of chicken breast or 7-8 ounces of fish in one meal.

I also eat an entire 8 ounce bowl of nonfat greek yogurt with a scoop of unflavored whey protein, granola, sliced almonds and 1/2 cup of berries. Major calories and loaded with healthy fats and protein! If I need to cut back on the carbs, I'll leave out the granola.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I also add berries and granola to my (plain) yogurt.

Coconut oil in my coffee (I know it sounds gross but not too bad).. Maybe 1/2 - 1 tsp...

A glass of skim milk

Extra protein at dinner - I usually eat around 6 oz. of chicken, fish, etc.. at dinner.

Oatmeal for breakfast - mix ins: protein powder, nuts, fruit
  • sharpei65
    sharpei65 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas here, but when you are trying to keep your fat macro down, its quite hard!!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I also add berries and granola to my (plain) yogurt.

Coconut oil in my coffee (I know it sounds gross but not too bad).. Maybe 1/2 - 1 tsp...

A glass of skim milk

Extra protein at dinner - I usually eat around 6 oz. of chicken, fish, etc.. at dinner.

Oatmeal for breakfast - mix ins: protein powder, nuts, fruit

Sometimes I add coconut oil to my green tea (if I need the extra calories) and I have to say you're right! It's actually pretty good!