Encouargement Please

Options
berthabunny
berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
So I did about a 6 week reset, then started my cut at 154.6 two weeks ago. Last Friday I weighed 152.0, which was more than I expected to lose with my deficit (18%ish), but not impossible because of water weight, etc.
Well, this morning I weighed 153.4. Very disappointed :sad:
My exercise has slowed down a little bit, but I am still getting at least 7 hours of exercise, down from about 9 the week before. I was not expecting to lose anywhere near the 2.6 pounds I lost last week, but I also didn't expect to gain a pound and a half!
I did eat out last night, and it was around my deficit, and certainly far below TDEE. And the rest of the week has been at or below my deficit. I also increased my carb percentage for a competition this weekend starting yesterday. Is it possible this is water weight from more carbs and possibly sodium from eating out?
Logically I can tell myself to continue as I have been but mentally I can't stand it!!!

A (somewhat) unrelated question: next week my workout schedule changes drastically, and it won't settle down for a few weeks. Should I set MFP to BMR and add exercise calories and calculate a deficit from that? Or should I try to guestimate hours exercised and use scooby's calculator anyways?

Replies

• missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey bb, i've found it useful to remember that i'm looking for a trend in weight loss, rather than getting hooked on an 'amount lost'- i.e. picture the weight on a graph. I was 154.6, then 152, then 153.4...a downward trend. As long as the general trend continues you are golden! does that help?
  • berthabunny
    Options
    That does help, I need to remember to look at the trend on Hacker's (https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet/). Thank you
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So I did about a 6 week reset, then started my cut at 154.6 two weeks ago. Last Friday I weighed 152.0, which was more than I expected to lose with my deficit (18%ish), but not impossible because of water weight, etc.
    Well, this morning I weighed 153.4. Very disappointed :sad:
    My exercise has slowed down a little bit, but I am still getting at least 7 hours of exercise, down from about 9 the week before. I was not expecting to lose anywhere near the 2.6 pounds I lost last week, but I also didn't expect to gain a pound and a half!
    I did eat out last night, and it was around my deficit, and certainly far below TDEE. And the rest of the week has been at or below my deficit. I also increased my carb percentage for a competition this weekend starting yesterday. Is it possible this is water weight from more carbs and possibly sodium from eating out?
    Logically I can tell myself to continue as I have been but mentally I can't stand it!!!

A (somewhat) unrelated question: next week my workout schedule changes drastically, and it won't settle down for a few weeks. Should I set MFP to BMR and add exercise calories and calculate a deficit from that? Or should I try to guestimate hours exercised and use scooby's calculator anyways?

So 1.5 lbs in a week - did you eat 750 calories over your TDEE every day, or even over your cut amount everyday?

Always do the math, can't be anything but water.

Valid weigh-in days are so important if you are going to drive yourself nuts with the scale rather than measuring.

Morning after a rest day eating normal sodium levels and not still sore from lifting routine.

Any other weight is invalid and don't even waste mental time and energy weighing yourself if that isn't the case.

And you do realize that since you are exercising that much, your focus must be on body improvement, not weight loss. As such body improvement usually is NOT weight loss, but gain. So you'll still lose fat, but probably not weight.

If you want weight too, gotta calm down all that stressful exercise.
  • berthabunny
    Options
    Thank you for keeping convincing me to not exercise as much heybales! And for putting things in perspective. I will not be exercising as much starting next week, and way less cardio. I will drop swimming during crew for at least the weeks when there is no practice, rather than swimming on my own during the off season (very hard for a chlorine addict).
    I want to start lifting and was going to this Monday. Do you think I should let my body rest first for a week? I will have some dryland through the pre-season for crew anyways. Just wondering about your thoughts on that.
    Thank you again
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you for keeping convincing me to not exercise as much heybales! And for putting things in perspective. I will not be exercising as much starting next week, and way less cardio. I will drop swimming during crew for at least the weeks when there is no practice, rather than swimming on my own during the off season (very hard for a chlorine addict).
    I want to start lifting and was going to this Monday. Do you think I should let my body rest first for a week? I will have some dryland through the pre-season for crew anyways. Just wondering about your thoughts on that.
    Thank you again

You could probably get some balance in there. 1 swim between lifting days, not going as hard as you probably have ability to. Gentle swim up to 1 hr. just want blood flow to aid healing from prior day lifting heavy.

Go ahead and start lifting, first few weeks is getting form down anyway, then making better use of the muscle you got already.
    If you calm down on the cardio before and while doing that, it should help enough.

You are young, your body can take a tad more stress, unless you got something you are dealing with, and that hits everyone young or old.

I think I remember your original schedule now, very full. Made for less deficit I think.
  • berthabunny
    Options
    Thank you again

You could probably get some balance in there. 1 swim between lifting days, not going as hard as you probably have ability to. Gentle swim up to 1 hr. just want blood flow to aid healing from prior day lifting heavy.

Go ahead and start lifting, first few weeks is getting form down anyway, then making better use of the muscle you got already.
    If you calm down on the cardio before and while doing that, it should help enough.

You are young, your body can take a tad more stress, unless you got something you are dealing with, and that hits everyone young or old.

I think I remember your original schedule now, very full. Made for less deficit I think.

So what I took from that: I can keep swimming a little if I swim 'lightly' and make it a day-after-lifting, relaxing type of exercise. Sounds good to me! :happy:

I am excited to start lifting. Gotta get somebody to show me around the gym Monday morning so I don't look like an idiot trying to figure everything out! Hopefully they can suggest weight numbers to start with until I get form down...