How do I improve grip strength?

Options
IamOnMywayNow
IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
I am having trouble with Deadlifts because of my grip. Now that I am getting into the higher weight (125) for deadlifts I am not able to complete them due to grip. My fingers give out and I almost drop the bar. How do I get better at grip strength? Is it ok for me to use the lifting hooks for Deadlifts? Does anyone use them?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I switched to a mixed grip at 135 (over-under), and I'm starting to fail again at 165. I need to ask if my gym allows chalk. I've heard chalk is very useful as it keeps the hands dry. (It also apparently does something else magical because all the reviews of the non-chalk substitutes say they keep your hands dry, but that's it and not like chalk. Not sure what else the chalk does besides acting as a drying agent.)

I had asked this question earlier, and someone had suggested farmers walks to improve grip strength as well. Just wander around the gym (or your garage - can't remember where you workout) for a while carrying 35 or 45 plates; one in each hand.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I second auddi's advice. Also, I've found that hanging from a bar (LIke the bottom of a chinup) has increased my grip strength. I deadlifted 165 last night with no grip problem.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Do you set the bar down completely and reset your grip in between reps? Because that's step a. Then chalk, mixed grip, and eventually straps but you shouldn't need straps yet - try the other things first. What you may find is that you end up using whatever assistance on just your last rep or your heaviest set.

And also of course strengthening exercises. Farmers walks are really good - grab plates, dumbbells, or whatever and just grip and walk. Chunk minks suggestion is also good although if you're very light you might eventually not weigh enough for it to be as effective as a heavy dumbbell. Or if you weigh a lot you may not be able to do it at all.
  • auddii
    Options
    Do you set the bar down completely and reset your grip in between reps? Because that's step a. Then chalk, mixed grip, and eventually straps but you shouldn't need straps yet - try the other things first. What you may find is that you end up using whatever assistance on just your last rep or your heaviest set.

And also of course strengthening exercises. Farmers walks are really good - grab plates, dumbbells, or whatever and just grip and walk. Chunk minks suggestion is also good although if you're very light you might eventually not weigh enough for it to be as effective as a heavy dumbbell. Or if you weigh a lot you may not be able to do it at all.

Crap, I set down the weight but don't reset my grip. DOH, been doing it wrong! :grumble:
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Are you slipping? Or just losing the ability to hang on? I have gloves that keep me from slipping.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    Options
    tameko2- I am setting the bar down and resetting every time because I have to recover..... it be heavy yo!! lol.

hofosho1020- I just cant hang on. My fingers lose all strength :(

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have really small hands (short fingers) so I think that may be some of my problem. I will try the chalk, mixed grip and farmers walk:) and see if that helps. Thanks again! You ladies rock!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Are you slipping? Or just losing the ability to hang on? I have gloves that keep me from slipping.

I was going to ask this too. Love my gloves! Make me feel sexy too, but maybe that is just me...
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I was going to ask this too. Love my gloves! Make me feel sexy too, but maybe that is just me...

It's not just you! Love it!
  • IamOnMywayNow
    Options
    What kind/brand of gloves?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Did some googling on this because I was looking for some women's grippers . I dont know how effective they are. I just see people with them quite a bit. This was the best I came up with. I dont know if theyd be the right size because while theyre pink I dont automatically want to assume theyre made for women. Hand size obviously being the main factor.

http://www.dic kssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11168963&cp=4406646.4413986.4417719.12719918

Also coming up in this search was that something that is now popular for men's grip training is Nail bending. Really? This is what I have to look forward to. I' mg going to have a bunch of nails laying around that I bent in to heart shapes. I dunno this one seems a little weird and maybe too obsessive for me.

ETA Youll have to remove the space between the C and K in dic k because on an adult board I cant put the name of a store in :grumble:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My grip strength isn't the strongest, but I use gloves and don't have any problems.

If the chalk doesn't work, maybe try gloves ... I love mine.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    Options
    Did some googling on this because I was looking for some women's grippers . I dont know how effective they are. I just see people with them quite a bit. This was the best I came up with. I dont know if theyd be the right size because while theyre pink I dont automatically want to assume theyre made for women. Hand size obviously being the main factor.

http://www.dic kssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11168963&cp=4406646.4413986.4417719.12719918

Also coming up in this search was that something that is now popular for men's grip training is Nail bending. Really? This is what I have to look forward to. I' mg going to have a bunch of nails laying around that I bent in to heart shapes. I dunno this one seems a little weird and maybe too obsessive for me.

ETA Youll have to remove the space between the C and K in dic k because on an adult board I cant put the name of a store in :grumble:

Thanks Doozer! I tried some on when I went to walmart today but the were all to big even the small ones. But I will look at these this weekend when I go to Di CKs. I need lifting gloves in children size but I dont think they make them LOL.
  • jeenak
    jeenak Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this, because I'm having the same issue at 135. Gloves have helped, but not much. I'm going to try the Farmer's walk, too.

Here's hoping!
  • auddii
    Options

I don't think I had enough sleep last night, but my first thought was that you're going to have a cleaning lady think that you're in love with her an leaving her the nails as signs. And when I say cleaning lady, I mean ala Family Guy...
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What I found that really works is what I read in Starting Strength. Instead of gripping the bar so that it's across the middle of your palm, let the bar be cradled in the area were your fingers connect to your palms. Rippetoe explains that if the bar is going to slip and end up in that area anyway, it should just start there in the first place. For me this has kept me from trying to use arm strength to keep the bar from slipping. I also use gloves (with just a small amount of padding) and a mixed grip.

I'll find the section in my book about this later and post the explaniation the Rippetoe gives, cause he does a way better job than I do :smile:
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you have very small hands/short fingers, access to a women's Olympic bar would be ideal. The circumference of the bar is smaller for that very reason. There are many other good suggestions posted here as well, if you don't have a women's bar.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you have very small hands/short fingers, access to a women's Olympic bar would be ideal. The circumference of the bar is smaller for that very reason. There are many other good suggestions posted here as well, if you don't have a women's bar.

While lifting gloves are good, for small hands the padding can further reduce your grip size. Other good choices are bicycle gloves or batting gloves w/ finger tips removed. Less padding, good grip.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I was stopping by tonight to ask the exact same questions. Yesterday I hit 120# with my deadlifts. I was able to do 4 of the 5 reps and then my hands gave out. I brought the bar to the ground but did not reset my grip. I tried to take a break and come back to it, but I was spent and risked bad form. Should I stay at 120 for the next workout?
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Also on grip progression - double overhand for as long as possible, and for warm up sets, and then either hook grip or used mixed grip for work sets when your DOH starts to fail. As your warm up sets get heavier, you will be practicing gripping DOH at higher weights but for fewer reps. Chalk is your friend. Rest a little longer than you usually do between your last warm up set and your work set(s).

Also, when I had grip problems due to an elbow tendonitis issue, I used RDLs to improve my grip. I used a weight that was about 50% lighter than what I would usually use an RDL for (which is extra hamstring and back work), and did them for 10 rep sets. This worked pretty quickly.

Regarding chalk - if you have never used it before and are unsure about gym policy, get a chalk sock from a climbing store or website. It's very low profile and doesn't make a mess. Be discreet when you chalk. It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Just don't make a mess and usually no one will care.