Advice Section

Options
mikehart164
mikehart164 Posts: 108 Member
Here is where I will post ideas for you all to use!

Replies

• mikehart164
    Options
    Hello everyone and thank you for your interest in the 12 week get ready for summer support group. My goal here is to have everyone helping each other and supporting each other. I will offer some guidelines as to what I think will help. I also welcome any questions along the way. It looks as though we have about 10 people in our group so far and I’m sure a few more will join in as we progress.
    My name is Mike I’m 27 years old and I’ve been training for 8 years I live in Pennsylvania. What are all your names?

Week 1: Some of this stuff you may already doing but I think it is some of the most important aspects of losing weight and I want you all to try to implement most of these suggestions into your daily routine.

1. Water - 6-10 cups daily dependent on how much you are moving and sweating can even be more! No less than 6.

2. Cardio - Aim for 30-45 minutes of Cardio on most days of week or a minimum of 150-180 moderate-minimally intense cardio minutes per week. (Cycling, Elliptical, Walking, Running, Incline Treadmill, Aerobic Classic, etc.) Not so intense you do not want to do it the next day but intense enough to keep you shredding.

3. Strength Training - Those of you with gym memberships I would suggest 2-3 days per week weight lifting 8-10 exercises done for 3 sets of 12-20 repetitions. If you don't have a gym membership some dumbbells a yoga mat and a stability ball or medicine ball goes a long way. I will be posting some circuits to try as well.

4. Eat the Rainbow- No excuses if you don't like vegetables learn to blend them and drink as a smoothie. You should be eating a minimum of 2 fruits and 3-5 vegetables daily preferably of different Colors, because different colors adds different vitamins and minerals. Fruit is best eaten about 1 hour pre-workout and avoided the rest of the day due to high sugar content when trying to lose weight.

5. Weight Yourself - Only once per week Friday Mornings after using the restroom on the same scale with as little clothing as possible for accurate results.

6. Measurements - Waist around belly button with stomach released not sucked in and Hips widest point all the way around. Take these measurements now and every 4 weeks and post them back on the page.

7. Protein - Protein will help build muscle but remember you do not need to go crazy I would follow the recommendations on my fitness pal and perhaps go slightly over daily not under.

8. Carbohydrates- First 3 meals of the day mainly. Choose whole grains and non-refined (oatmeal, rice, quinoa, beans, vegetables, 100% whole grain bread up to 2 slices daily, low sodium couscous, etc.)

9. Fats - Avocados, Olive Oil, Nuts, Almond Milk, Coconut milk, you need fat to lose fat but be mindful of the calories.

10. Supplements - Not a big advocate if you want to do a protein shake post workout let me know and I can recommend some products. Also meal replacement protein bars I know some good ones. As far as vitamins and creatine and all that you don't need them unless you want to take them as long as you are following the fruit and vegetable protocol outlined above.

11. Motivation - The more people you have on board in your family and friends the better your results will be. Also having someone to walk run or elliptical with will make that 30-45 minutes roll on by quickly.

12. Sodium - Make sure you are staying under what MFP recommends this can be difficult but it can be done!!

13. Meals - I would say eat 3 moderate meals and 2 small snacks daily to keep metabolism up. Limit carbs within 3 hours of Bed.

14. Sleep - Come hell or high water 7-8 hours of sleep a night MAKE IT HAPPEN. Your body recovers while you sleep muscles are not made in the gym they are MADE IN BED AND IN THE KITCHEN.

15. Stretching - Look up full body stretching and do some quick 30 second stretches for each muscle group after each session to prevent injuries and provide Flexibility.

That is your starting point. Go get it I welcome questions and I look forward to helping you all reach your goals. Please Comment your name your starting weight, hips and waist measurements if comfortable sharing and goal weights on the message board. This is going to be fun! We will all be amazing come JUNE!! Go get it Friends!!
    Edited by mikehart164 on Sat 03/16/13 09:15 AM
  • mikehart164
    Options
    Awesome breakfast idea. Remember food allergies when reading this.

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 cup fruit of choice
    1-2 cups spinach
    1 tbsp ground flax
    1 banana
    1/2 cup carrots
    Add Cinnamon and Ginger to taste they will help with hunger and blood sugar stability.

BLEND UNTIL SMOOTH enjoy daily for breakfast can swap different fruits daily and different leafy greens. (Kale romaine etc.)
  • mikehart164
    Options
    How Do I lose Weight Without any crazy fat burners, diet plans or excessive amounts of cardio?

This is a question I get frequently.
    Three Things to Remember

F – Fuel (Nutritional Intake; Food, Water, Vitamins and Mineral)
    B – Build (Build Lean Muscle and Strength to Increase Metabolism and Bone Mineral Density)
    B – Burn (Burn or Use Extra energy off the body through cardiovascular activity or lifestyle)

1. Fuel
    - If your goal is to go on a diet without a specific plan and you want to lose weight the main idea will be whole food sources (Lean Meats, Vegetables, Fruit, Nuts, Low Fat Dairy)
    - If you will stop to think for a second all these items will be found around the outside of the store.
    - Complex Carbohydrate Sources should come from (Rice, Whole Grain Breads, Quinoa, Or Oatmeal primarily.)
    - The first three meals of the day shall Include a Protein source, a fruit source, and a complex carbohydrate source.
    - Carbohydrates should be limited in the last 4 waking hours of your day, because this is when most are least active.
    - Aim for 1 Gram of protein per Pound bodyweight if you are lifting weights 2-4 days a week and ½ grams per pound bodyweight if you do it 1-2 days per week.
    - A Multi-Vitamin Is Not a Bad Idea
    - Aim for around 1 Gallon of water a Day on active days and ¾ gallon on non-active days.

2. Build
    - Perform 8-10 compound body movements 1-3 days per week to facility muscle increases and strength increase.
    - Start with Large Muscle Groups and Move TO Small Muscle Groups.
    - The progression would look something like this.
    - (Squat, DB Row, DB Bench Press, DB Dead lift, DB Shoulder Press, DB Curl, Triceps Press down, Plank, Low Back Extension)

3. Burn
    - Here is a Calculator To See How Many Calories You Are Burning
    - http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
    - The ideal range to burn fat is 65-80% of your max Heart Rate, but I prefer Intervals which takes you as low as 60% and as High as 85%
    - To Find Heart Rate take 220-Age. (E.g. 220-40 = 180)
    - Multiply By .65 or .8 (180*.65 = 117 180*.8 =144)
    - Target HR = (117-144 for a 40 yr old man.)
    This will give you a foundation to start tomorrow. Make gradual changes and eventually work yourself up to 3-5 days of Weights and Cardio. Eat correctly and don’t forget to stretch. Average weight loss on a program of this magnitude would be ½ - 3 pounds per week depending on situation.
  • emh83
    emh83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi :) im emma :) im not gonna lie and say im an excercise fanatic because im not :( i have 3 children and work part time. the best i could do regarding excercise at this moment in time is walking.,is that enough ? if i walk everyday ?
    my job can be busy but not much for me to class it as excercise.
    thanks
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    can we do strengh building at home, what weights do you think we should start with?
  • mikehart164
    Options
    EMMA walking is fine do it everywhere you go and everyday !! Move the body thats all I care about =-P
  • mikehart164
    Options
    5 lb Dumbbells are always a great starting Point!
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I was wondering if you knew how I can get over DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) ? :frown:
    I think I got this from doing squats a few days ago and my muscles are still sore right now. I did squats and other butt toning exercises. But I just wanted to know is it normal to feel sore on the inner side of the knees, the part of the knees that touch when you're standing feet together?

I was also wondering do you think I should get back to working out even though my muscles are still sore?
    I like to use the elliptical but I don't know if it's a good idea to get back on it. Although I did 30 minutes on the elliptical 2 days ago just for the sake of working out but couldn't go longer due to the soreness.

I only feel the soreness when I walk or take a step. But I sure hope it's not joint pain.

Please let me know, Thanks so much:flowerforyou:
  • mikehart164
    Options
    Hello,
    I was wondering if you knew how I can get over DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) ? :frown:
    I think I got this from doing squats a few days ago and my muscles are still sore right now. I did squats and other butt toning exercises. But I just wanted to know is it normal to feel sore on the inner side of the knees, the part of the knees that touch when you're standing feet together?

I was also wondering do you think I should get back to working out even though my muscles are still sore?
    I like to use the elliptical but I don't know if it's a good idea to get back on it. Although I did 30 minutes on the elliptical 2 days ago just for the sake of working out but couldn't go longer due to the soreness.

I only feel the soreness when I walk or take a step. But I sure hope it's not joint pain.

Please let me know, Thanks so much:flowerforyou:

Light cardio helps to fix DOMS faster do cardio on the sore muscles lightly the following day when you are sore. Also Foam Roller, Tiger Tail, Deep Tissue Massage and Increasing Protein intake around workouts all will aid in your recovery.

Hope that helps
  • mikehart164
    Options
    can we do strengh building at home, what weights do you think we should start with?

3, 5, 7.5, & 10 lb Dumbbells are always a great starting point. Yes you can strength train at home!!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    great advice! A great at home DVD for strength training is ChaLEAN Extreme 90 day program. 5,8,10,12,15 dumbbells or resistance band can be used. I love it - super easy, not too long and really work the muscles hard and slow to failure. Costs about $100, but worth every penny!!
  • Overcomer7737
    Overcomer7737 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Pam. Doing the best I can at the moment...EXPECT to see progress reports though....the DECISION is the first step...in my case anyway!!!

So excited to be here! Thanks Mike so much for spending the time to put this together. Best Wishes to all in this group!! To Health!!
  • debgoomey
    debgoomey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    I have been noticing that I eat very well throughout the day, but about 6pm feel like I need to snack. It tends to be more from exhaustion, and emotional eating than actual hunger, but it throws my whole day out the window! My breakfast and lunches both contain plenty of fiber and protein to fill me up and I almost always have a salad with beans and hot sauce for dinner. (which I feel like I am full afterwards.) Any low cal snacks you can recommend that will be fun to eat? I tend to have a pb and j sandwhich and/or cereal now.
  • mikehart164
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    I have been noticing that I eat very well throughout the day, but about 6pm feel like I need to snack. It tends to be more from exhaustion, and emotional eating than actual hunger, but it throws my whole day out the window! My breakfast and lunches both contain plenty of fiber and protein to fill me up and I almost always have a salad with beans and hot sauce for dinner. (which I feel like I am full afterwards.) Any low cal snacks you can recommend that will be fun to eat? I tend to have a pb and j sandwhich and/or cereal now.

Greek Yogurt w/ Granola
    Carrots and Hummas
    10-15 almonds
    Sleepy Time Tea - w/Lemon Puts you too sleep and then you stop eating =-)

Those are my night time go to snacks.

Also 2 Eggs for Breakfast has been proven to help you feel fuller throughout the day. Avoid Bread and Cereal that is too carbohydrate heavy for right before BED.

Good luck
  • mikehart164
    Options
    I received a question regarding Weight Training and Rep Ranges. Here is how I answered it for you all to benefit from the question.

"6-20 reps is idea for building muscular strength flexibility functional muscles muscular endurance and helping to burn stubborn fat. My reasoning? There are Two main types of muscle type one and type 2 and 2-3 components of each muscle. They all respond to different stimuli (more weight, less weight, Faster reps, slower reps, Time under tension etc.) TO get benefit from all muscle fibers you must train differently . Now You can stick to one rep range for a month and switch it monthly. Try this 3 sets 15 this month raise the weight 3 sets of 10 next month and month three do the same weight you did for 15 but do 3 sets of 20 and rotate your cadence from time to time 2 seconds up 2 seconds down 2 up 4 down 1up 1 down. "
  • jwpe
    jwpe Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike, I was wondering if you knew of any exercises I can do to replace push ups, bent over rows and shoulder press. I am currently in Stage 1 of New Rules of Lifting for women, but I cut my finger bad and can't, for about 10 days, grab a dumbbell or bar bell. Legs are still getting a work out but upper body was lacking today!!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    K I'm going to ask for suggestions but I think I already know the answer....so I probably have a hernia (level 1/2), no protrusion (checked online between pulled groin and hernia and it's definitely a hernia not a pulled groin - I originally thought I pulled my groin).

So...I am very active run 25-30 miles per week including speed work 1x per week and a long run 1x per week (11-13.1 miles) walk 5x per week, weight train at least 2x per week (usually Tough Mudder Boot camp which includes Plyometrics).

SO, online recommends no running, no excessive walking and nothing that will hurt the hernia...so what can I do save absolutely nothing? I'm not in sever pain (and I know you're not a doctor - and I will be going to see my PCM). It only hurts when I first start my run and hurts if I bend over or do any type of leg lifts (butterflies, etc for lower abs).

Recommendations for light duty exercise? B/C I know that is what I'm going to be on for the next few weeks so this can heal.

My guess is I can still do the walking 2-4 miles daily isn't excess for me, low intensity recumbent bike, weights (but I might want to go a little lighter?) and avoid any lower ab work? or should I be doing some planks to strengthen my abs? I have a treadmill, recumbent bike, stationary ball, Bo-Flex Dial a Dumbbell (10-55 lbs) plus 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10 lb dumbbells, and the Bo-Flex Ultimate or something like that (can do over 99 exercises). Maybe no pull ups or push ups either?
  • mikehart164
    Options
    K I'm going to ask for suggestions but I think I already know the answer....so I probably have a hernia (level 1/2), no protrusion (checked online between pulled groin and hernia and it's definitely a hernia not a pulled groin - I originally thought I pulled my groin).

So...I am very active run 25-30 miles per week including speed work 1x per week and a long run 1x per week (11-13.1 miles) walk 5x per week, weight train at least 2x per week (usually Tough Mudder Boot camp which includes Plyometrics).

SO, online recommends no running, no excessive walking and nothing that will hurt the hernia...so what can I do save absolutely nothing? I'm not in sever pain (and I know you're not a doctor - and I will be going to see my PCM). It only hurts when I first start my run and hurts if I bend over or do any type of leg lifts (butterflies, etc for lower abs).

Recommendations for light duty exercise? B/C I know that is what I'm going to be on for the next few weeks so this can heal.

My guess is I can still do the walking 2-4 miles daily isn't excess for me, low intensity recumbent bike, weights (but I might want to go a little lighter?) and avoid any lower ab work? or should I be doing some planks to strengthen my abs? I have a treadmill, recumbent bike, stationary ball, Bo-Flex Dial a Dumbbell (10-55 lbs) plus 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10 lb dumbbells, and the Bo-Flex Ultimate or something like that (can do over 99 exercises). Maybe no pull ups or push ups either?

The walking is fine still. I would make use of all the dumbbells you have use a weight that doesnt strain your abs and do enough reps that you can still feel the muscles burning. Anything that hurts DON'T DO. Your body has to be the indicator with this type of injury. I think you can still do the bike and incline treadmill as well you just need to take it a little easier. As far as planks I think you need to discuss that with your PCM because that could be productive or counter productive depending on the location of the hernia. Work each muscle on your body 2-3 times per week with any exercise that you TRY which doesnt impact your injury. Continue to use a conservative approach until pain goes away. I hope this helps. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mike