Strop lifts 5x5, version 3?

Options
After lurking for weeks on this forum and being inspired by you awesome bada$$ ladies, I've started strong lifts and just finished workout #7 today. I feel awesome hitting the iron with the guys and having everyone at the Y look at me like "does she know what she's doing over there?"

I've read Tameko's summary which made the program much more clear than the PDF, but in browsing the forum I've noticed that most people are doing the barbell rows instead of the inverted rows (which Mendhi substitutes in version 3). I did try the inverted rows Once, but it felt awkward so I tried doing barbell rows instead which seemed less awkward. Any reason why you do either barbell rows vs inverted rows?

Also, do you do the reverse crunch, push-ups, chin-ups and prone bridges that he adds to the workouts on the PDF ? I don't see anyone mention them in their stats, so I'm not sure if you're adding them also. I'm also committed to following EM2WL after years of trying to stay in a 1200 calorie minimum, and excited to see how these changes will affect my body.

Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• mx2mama
    mx2mama Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for the link!, my question is, " is there a reason why everyone is doing these pendlay/dumbbell rows and not the inverted rows that are recommended in version 3 of strong lifts? My impression from the PDF is that the inverted rows are superior to the penalty or dumbbell row. I guess I could do either, but just wanted to get the opinions from others who are more experienced with SL.

Mads, do you do the additional exercises (ie, push-ups, chin-ups, etc.?)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    No. pushups or chin ups. I do some leg extensions and curls. and a few other exercises on my multi home gym thingo and have just started walking again on the days I don't lift.

Edited to say I think a lot of it is personal preference and what you feel comfortable doing. You will see some of the ladies do hack squats, some do front squats and I'm sure there are other variations as well.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't recall ever seeing anything about inverted rows, but then again I just read the summary here and went by the Stronglifts App for iPhone (It also does not include inverted row).
  • mx2mama
    Options
    I happened to read through the stronglifts 5x5 PDF prior to finding the summary here so I always wondered where the rest of the exercises went? Also wondered why they didn't include the extra exercises on the SL app, but figured it was because they are body weight exercises so people wouldn't have to keep track of their increasing weight progression...
  • fishlover888
    Options
    Hi!
    re: reverse crunch, push-ups, chin-ups and prone bridges - my understanding is that these are 'accessory' exercises, not essential to SL, but probably helpful. I think a few of the ladies do them, if I had time i might but honestly I'm spending a long *kitten* time in the gym as it is. And it can take away your focus from the main lifts. Also... I can't do chin ups like.. at all.

re: rows - I had to look up inverted rows, and honestly I'm not sure where I could do that safely in my gym with the bar actually stable... I see the benefit of possibility decreasing back injuries but if you have good form then the pendlay rows really should be fine. Also if you didn't keep your core tight & straight with the inverted you'd have the same back problems. Pendlay rows have an advantage that you can start with lower weight, with the inverted you are sort of stuck at a certain amount based on your body weight.

Here is an interesting (old) article from Medhi changing his mind again, now saying to do barbell rows again. http://stronglifts.com/barbell-rows-inverted-rows-stronglifts-5x5/

So basically, what Mads said, go with what works for you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hm, version 3 must have been pretty recent since I read the older version when I started. Or maybe I just went to the link Tameko provided which was the older version. I like this version because it's nice and simple. The other problem with inverted rows is that I'd need to use the smith machine, and that machine is really popular in my gym (I don't mind since it frees up the squat rack for me :laugh:).
  • mx2mama
    Options
    Thank you so much! I started doing barbell rows instead and like them better anyway! I can see that the program will definitely take longer once the weight progresses and I'll need to take longer rests between sets, so whatever can make the workout efficient works for me.

Just wanted to make sure I'm doing the program properly to get the best results. My long term goal would be able to do unassisted chin-ups and pull-ups so I am adding them to my workout. Once I can that, I'll know I've totally hit bad-a$$ery!
  • fishlover888
    Options
    Which workout do you do the chin ups after? Just curious, I think Mendi had them with workout B (OP/DL) but after doing overhead press my entire upper body is kind of too wiped to do anything else...
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I would also just like to add that inverted rows are harder to add weight to....you basically have to start using weighted vests and such or start doing more reps....kind of a pain in the bum, IMO. They are both pulling exercises, so whichever you choose is fine!
  • mx2mama
    Options
    Fishlover...Yep, chin-ups/pull-ups after workout B. I'm still very early in the SL program (just did wkout #7) so I'm not yet TOO wiped out, BUT I also can't do chin-ups so I'm using the assisted pull-up machine. I REALLY hurt after I do those!

VegasBaby...it is awkward to progress on the inverted rows, so I'm sticking to the Pendlay rows for now.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say whatever version I read, Mehdi was recommending Pendlay rows at that time, so that's what I did. (Edit: just went back to his website, which is all I've ever read of his, and it still indicates barbell rows (i.e., Pendlay rows) on there.)

I always/often consider adding in accessory work, but like others have said, the workout generally takes a significant amount of time as it is, so then I end up not adding anything in.

Also: looked at inverted rows as I didn't know much about them. Wondering if I could even DO them. They look enough like pull-ups to me, which I am nowhere near being able to do.