Thoughts on Salt/Sodium

Options
Hey everyone :flowerforyou:

I've been hearing varying things about sodium intake on MFP and articles elsewhere, and I'm not really sure where I stand. I never used to track my sodium intake until the last few years, but noticed I typically ate above the recommended dosage. I have always had normal to low blood pressure and I now noticed that in the past couple months while switching to primal (and lower sodium levels) my hands and feet have been freezing almost all of the time. I also noticed that days after eating considerably over my salt intake (currently set to 1500mg) I'm drastically less cold, if at all. I'm curious on your opinions/comments on this issue. Do you think my reduced sodium has caused my cold hands/feet. Do you worry about sodium intake?

Thanks!

Replies

• strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about salt and cold extremities but I know two other things:
    1. Salt is delicious.
    2. I eat large amounts of it.

Ha! Sorry... not very helpful.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1. Salt is delicious.

Yeah...me too.

I have never tracked my sodium intake. My husband is always on my case about using less, but hes some weird anti-salt guy. He hates it. My excuse is that I have low blood pressure and need lots of salt to keep it raised....

ETA: I actually do have low blood pressure, and the treatment prescribed by the doctor really is salty foods.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    1. Salt is delicious.

Yeah...me too.

I have never tracked my sodium intake. My husband is always on my case about using less, but hes some weird anti-salt guy. He hates it. My excuse is that I have low blood pressure and need lots of salt to keep it raised....

ETA: I actually do have low blood pressure, and the treatment prescribed by the doctor really is salty foods.

Interesting. Me too. Ive had both a doc and cardiologist tell me the same thing. I still track it to see where I'm at on it.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    1. Salt is delicious.

^Same.

I naturally - from my food choices - for a while was not having much salt, and let me tell you how much of a bloody miserable time that was: constantly thirsty, lack of sleep and water would run right through me, ie, I pissed like a stream 24 hours a day.
    Not fun.

My thoughts are that salt is awesome. Helps me sleep (a bit) and stops me being so damn thirsty all the time - just takes a few pinches of salt on an unsalted meal, like sweet potato chips or rice and chicken/fish. Or just eat naturally salty things like, uh, bacon. Or seawater fish.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    There is soooooo much salt in the SAD!!! It's in all the processed junk that people consume. I think once you go primal/paleo and you are cutting out that stuff, you obviously are reducing your salt intake overall. I suppose it's not so much of a problem to add a little salt to your food. Occasionally, I eat something really high in sodium and look at my diary like "WOW"! .... but I don't really pay that much attention in general. If you are eating a healthy primal/paleo diet then I think your sodium levels are just going to naturally be okay.

If you're feeling cold, it could be due to blood pressure.... I'm no doctor, but it makes sense. I am sure that overall you are going to be healthier, so maybe it will improve over time. I personally haven't experienced this.
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about salt. If I have something like ham I retain massive amounts of water. Overall though people who cook their food would get much less salt in their diet as a pp said. I say if you think something needs salt to taste good then add the salt and enjoy your meal!
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of olives and I always wondered about sodium. I suppose though by not eating the processed foods that are full of hidden sodium it is not a problem. I <3 olives and their saltiness :)
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I eat tons of olives and I always wondered about sodium. I suppose though by not eating the processed foods that are full of hidden sodium it is not a problem. I <3 olives and their saltiness :)

that's my thought exactly. I LOVE olives and their saltiness and eat them nearly every day. Since cutting out processed food and junk, I am not so worried about adding good kosher/sea salt to my recipes. I also drink a lot of water too, so I guess it all balances out in the end. :)
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. There are varying "recommended intakes" of salt around, it's hard to sort it out.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Have to say I love the stuff, I season pretty much everything I eat, but then I make it all from scratch so it isn't exactly salt laden junk , so I'm not going to worry about it
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I don't worry too much about salt now. Since cutting out most processed foods, I know my salt consumprton has gone WAY down. I salt my foods freely, because I love salt!