What has your surgeon/dietitian told you?

Options
ErinShannon
ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
I am a little curious about what others who have had gastric bypass have been told regarding some of the "big" (in my mind at least lol) issues after surgery.

So...here are a few questions:

1. When was your surgery?
2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine)
3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery?
4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery?
5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery?
6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery?
7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals?
8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said?
9. And lastly, what has your success been like?

Thanks...just really curious what others are told ...you'd think it would be more uniform straight across the board for all patients but I see so much differing information!

Replies

• rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options

1. When was your surgery? March 13,2012
    2. Where from? Northwestern PA
    3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? don't drink it
    4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? don't use them
    5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? don't swallow it
    6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? at your own risk, but not recommended
    7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? no drinks during meals, 30 minutes before or 30-60 minutes after meals
    8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? followed 99%
    9. And lastly, what has your success been like? Unbelievable! I use the surgery as a tool, but I really work my *kitten* off with exercise! I would have only lost 1/2 of what I did by using the surgery alone and not engaging in a daily workout routine and tracking calorie consumption. This weight isn't coming back!!!
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    1. When was your surgery?
    March 30, 2012
    2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine)
    Central California
    3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery?
    None...ever
    4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery?
    None...ever
    5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery?
    None...ever
    6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery?
    Can have alcohol 1 year after surgery but was told to drink at home the first time cause odds are I will get drunk super easy
    7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals?
    Stop drinking 15 minutes before I eat and wait for 1 hour after I eat.
    8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said?
    I follow them to the letter. I have sipped a diet soda 2 times and the bubbles killed my stomach so I never did it again.
    9. And lastly, what has your success been like?
    I reached goal weight 10 months after surgery. I am down from 303 to 154. I workout, just ran my first 5k and it was awesome. I was told that my excess skin is actually pretty minor considering how much weight I have lost, I am thinking the weight training helped. I can chase my 5 and 3 year old and they are worn out before me. Bonus, the 'special time' with the hubby is amazing. :D If I maintain for 6 months my insurance is buying me a tummy tuck.

Hope this helps. :)
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rumplesnat's comments. It is a tool and requires dedication and hard work.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Guess I'll answer my own questions lol

1. When was your surgery? Aug 28,2012
    2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) Maine
    3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? Never again
    4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? Never again
    5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? Never again
    6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? Never again
    7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? Nothing 30 mins before, during or 30 mins after
    8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? Followed it pretty much to a "T" ...one thing I did do was order an Iced Coffee one day and got like 3/4 of the way through it and realized I was using the dumb straw. Thankfully, no ill side effects but won't do it again.
    9. And lastly, what has your success been like? Dr.& dietitian are both extremely pleased with my progress and so am I. I've lost 82lbs in the 6 mths surgery - 111lbs overall which is probably been 8 mths total. I feel amazing. I exercise daily. This tool has been a lifesaver and I take it very seriously.
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    1. When was your surgery? April 23, 2012

2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) Massachusetts

3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? No soda before or after

4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? Never use them

5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? Don't chew it

6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? None for at least a year.

7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? Don't drink 30 minutes before or after eating.

8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? Followed to the letter.

9. And lastly, what has your success been like? I have lost 240 pounds since starting the program. About 100 before surgery and the rest since. I'm about 15 pounds from a overweight BMI.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    1. When was your surgery? August 21, 2012

2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) Massachusetts

3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? No soda with caffeine, as it can be dehydrating, and the carbonation might irritate the new plumbing. They actually said flat diet caffeine free soda was ok.

4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? Never use them

5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? Don't chew it

6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? Didn't pay much attention, as I never drank alcohol anyway. But essentially they don't want you drinking any calories, unless it's a protein drink.

7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? Don't drink 30 minutes before or after eating.

8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? Followed everything verbatim. I do have diet soda at the movies, but they told me that was ok.

9. And lastly, what has your success been like? I have lost 244 pounds altogether, 127 in the seven months since surgery. I'm 18 pounds below what my surgeon hoped for, and 7 pounds from my own goal. I have had no complications really, except for constipation, and my type 2 diabetes is gone. I still have all my hair, and I am wearing the smallest size clothes since high school.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options

1. When was your surgery? June 11, 2012 I had Sleeve surgery.
    2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) Central Illinois
    3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? Never again
    4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? Never
    5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? Ok just don't swallow it.
    6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? Never but I have had a margarita on New Years Eve.
    7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? Don't drink 30 minutes after a meal. Don't eat 15 minutes after you drink.
    8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? I have followed all of them except for having the Margarita on New Years Eve. It wasn't very strong either.
    9. And lastly, what has your success been like? I am now 9 months post op. I lost 47 pre op from 2/1/12 to 6/11/12 surgery date. I have since lost 88 post op for a total lost of 135. I weigh 135 today. I have met my surgeon's goal back in Nov. 2012 but have a personal goal to weigh 130 for my 5'4" height and then maintain. The weight is very slow coming off the last month or so. I don't know how much my loose skin weighs so not for sure if I will get to 130. If I don't that is ok, I am happy at 135 also.

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    1. When was your surgery? September 27, 2012
    2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) Texas
    3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? No carbonation--it can stretch the pouch
    4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? Don't use--can bring unwanted air/gas into the pouch
    5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? Can chew after a few months, but don't swallow
    6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? 6 months after, but very little. I have never been a drinker.
    7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? 30 before, at least 30 after
    8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? 90% of the time, but sometimes I take a sip shortly after dinner
    9. And lastly, what has your success been like? I am 15-20 pounds away from my goal; reached my surgeon's goal yesterday.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    1. When was your surgery? December 12, 2012 RNY Gastric Bypass

2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) New Hampshire

3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? Don't drink it..unless flat and then diet only. I avoid it.

4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? Don't use them do to extra air issues.

5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? Don't use it, again extra air

6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? Don't drink (I didn't before so this was easy)

7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? Stop 30 min before and 30 min after

8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? 99%, I sometime need a sip of water after a meal.

9. And lastly, what has your success been like? I lost 25 pounds pre-op and so far 55 post-op in just over 3 months. I am exactly on target for my weight loss, have not had any complications, and am doing wonderfully! My skin is tightening up slowly, but I'm adding a significant bump in weights this week so it should help overall.

Nice thread Erin!
  • mitzi1006
    mitzi1006 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1. When was your surgery? 2/20/2013
    2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) University of Michigan Hospital
    3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? Keep away, it fills up your pouch with excess gas that can stretch the pouch and cause pain
    4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? Nope, gas issue again
    5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? Nope, too easy to swallow which could cause issues
    6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? Not recommended at all although my NUT said a glass of wine once I am 8+ weeks post op could be ok.
    7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? Nope, nothing to sip for 30 minutes after meals, can drink up to 15 min before.
    8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? I have tried to follow to the letter so I can be successful. I only have a few more days of pureed foods left and I can't wait. I am so tired of pureed...
    9. And lastly, what has your success been like? I have lost 35 pounds as of today. Some of that was on the pre-op liquid diet but most of it has been post-op. Feel pretty good most days although I still get tired easily. Hopefully that will resolve itself soon.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Awesome work and progress, everyone!!!

~Kelly
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I am a little curious about what others who have had gastric bypass have been told regarding some of the "big" (in my mind at least lol) issues after surgery.

1. When was your surgery? May 15, 2012

2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) Tulsa, Oklahoma

3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? told to would be painful post surgery, never given a clue as to when it would or could be introduced again, assumed I it was off the menu forever. Don't really miss it anymore.

4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? adds air and thus pain to tummy so stay away from them.

5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? no opinion, I chew it multiple times a week no problem.

6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? none for 6 month, prefer never but not realistic for my lifestyle.

7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? Don't do it, pushes food through, swells food could cause pain.

8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? My doctor didn't have a stand on coffee but other's have and I became a coffee drinker post surgery. I drink wine about 2 times a month. Less then pre surgery because 1 glass makes me tipsy and 2 makes me drunk now. I have not pushed any rules because I didn't want to sabotage myself. I didn't want a quick fix pill I wanted a new life style so following the instructions seemed to fit well with that plan.

9. And lastly, what has your success been like? I reached my goal 9 months post surgery and am now working very very slowly on vanity weight, increasing calories and distance running. I'm trying to find a good balance that I can keep the weight off and be fit.

Thanks...just really curious what others are told ...you'd think it would be more uniform straight across the board for all patients but I see so much differing information!
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1. When was your surgery? - 3/5/12

2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) - Jacksonville, Fl

3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? Don't do it. - and I don't

4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? Don't do it - I do I do - I take in more fluids this way, but I don't have an issue with air - waited about 4 months post surg to use straws.

5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? - Don't Swallow - can get stuck - I have a horrible gum addiction post surgery!!

6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? - Not recommended - not a drinker so not a big deal for me.

7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? - Don't drink 30 min before or after - pretty compliant with this.

8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? - Pretty much - I experiment with things and see what I tolerate but keep sweets down to the minimum and watch my caloric intake and EXERCISE like crazy!

9. And lastly, what has your success been like? - Tremdous Success!!! Now I am trying to maintain - there lies the challenge!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options

1. When was your surgery? 1 year 4 months ago

2. Where from? (don't need to specify city or anything just general state or country is fine) Raleigh

3. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on soda after surgery? They don't go out and tell you to drink it but I told them I would drink Diet coke sometimes and they said as long as it doesn't bother me its fine.

4. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on straws after surgery? They said as long as it doesn't bother you.

5. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on gum after surgery? Gum is good.

6. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on alcohol after surgery? I was ok'ed I think 6 months after surgery

7. Your Dr.'s/dietitian's stand on drinking with meals? never

8. Did you follow your Dr.'s/dietitian's orders or have you strayed from what they have said? I have mostly followed what they have told me..I once in a rare while will take a few sips with a meal but I usually find that occurs when I am eating something I shouldn't be in the first place.

9. And lastly, what has your success been like? I started at 267 and in a size 24 I am now 135 in a size 2-4. I was at 125 but gained some weight :-(