Interested in program & have questions before I start

Options
I am interested in the Stronglifts 5X5 program and read information about it on the stronglifts website. Although it said I have to do the program 3 times per week, I still wanted to add in cardio and other workouts into my weekly routine. Is there anyone who is doing the stronglifts program plus other workout routines? Whats your weekly workout schedule like?

Thanks!

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I lift Tues/Thurs/Sat and do some light cardio 2x/week on days in between (usually Wed and Fri) for like 30 minutes.

Sun and Mon are my rest days and usually taken up with things like grocery shopping, yard work etc.

I also do yoga for 20 minutes before lifting as a warmup/stretch routine but I may switch that to my off days. I'm currently in between lifting routines so still working on finding my mojo.

Welcome to the group and to Stronglifts! Lifting is fun, no matter which program you choose! Long as you get your ~48 hours rest in between lifting sessions you'll be fine. Some people do cardio on lifting days, others in between, still others don't do any. All depends on your goals/priorities, your body and your schedule, really. There's no right or wrong answers here.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I lift every other day and do yoga on non-lifting days, sometimes some light cardio or interval training with one full rest day every week and usually another day of light yoga for flexibility or something of that nature.

What many have found though, is that it's very difficult to train hard at more than one thing so lets say for example you wanted to lift as well as train for a race.....either your lifting or your running would suffer simply due to the fact that once your lifts get heavier you really just do not have adequate recovery time. It's not that you CAN'T do both....but to excel at both is difficult!

Welcome to the group...,lifting is awesome :)
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do Mon/Wed/Fri and only do light cardio on non lifting days and tend to rest on either Sat or Sun.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I lift three times a week and do cardio 2-3 times a week with one to 2 rest days a week.
  • BonitaAppleBon
    Options
    Sounds great, everyone! Thank you so much! I ordered the NROL for women book, so I was thinking of starting off with stronglifts 5X5 first and then switch to that.