How do I get more protein?

Options
I am really having a hard time getting enough protein. I set my macros to 40/30/30 and I almost always go over on carbs and never enough protein. I am not a big meat eater. That is the problem. I'll eat chicken if I have to and I HATE almost all fish. Sometimes I can stomach tuna but other days it grosses me out. Occasionally I will have a protein shake but I'm not big on supplements. But I'd love to figure out a way to get my protein without an added supplement if possible...partially because whey protein is rather expensive.

Suggestions?

Replies

• colleen3115
    colleen3115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Eggs.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Greek Yoghurt, Quinoa, Almonds
  • KatieDuvall612
    KatieDuvall612 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat meat and hate the thought of fish also. I also tend to go a bit over on carbs some days, but I've been trying to get more protein and aim for at least 100g a day.

I know you said you prefer not to supplement, but I put a scoop of vegan plant based protein powder (called "Plant Fusion" - soy free, gluten free, dairy free, animal free, no artificial sweeteners, etc.) in my morning green smoothies and post workout and it easily adds 21g of protein. I buy a large 2lb container on Amazon for $30 and it lasts awhile... just an idea. I also try to add things to my smoothies like chia seeds (3g protein per Tbsp) and random fruits and veggies like spinach, bananas, blueberries, cucumbers, celery, and carrots that contain protein because every bit helps. You can't taste the vegetables with the chocolate protein and banana.

Lately my go-to snacks are Greek yogurt, string cheese, sunflower seeds, and eggs.

Black beans and brown rice are staples for me also.
  • MrsCJ1
    MrsCJ1 Posts: 77
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! These are all great ideas. I might have to look into these vegan protein powder you speak of! That sounds so much better than regular whey with all the stuff that I can't pronounce on the back! :laugh:
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hiya - so I was raised vegetarian but now eat some chicken - I have def have to work hard at getting enough protein!!! People have given you great ideas so far!! Def the eggs!! Cottage cheese (2%) is another one that I go to a lot...I use whey protein but I purchase "about time" it is one of the 'cleanest' on the market and only has four ingredients...if you go with a vegan plant based protein try to look for pea protein...your body will absorb the protein better from it :) good luck!!