NROL4W Stage 1, Workout A1 Complete!

Options
berthabunny
berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
I did my first lifting today!! And I really liked it. Workout A took me about 30 minutes to complete.

Question 1: Do you all warm up before you lift? I did about 6 minutes on an elliptical. Good/bad?

Question 2: I was unsure about the weights I should be using. I am reasonably strong, but no superwoman, that's for sure. To give you an idea, my best (did these a few months ago) for push-ups is about 40 (have done over 50, but not lately), modified sit-ups is 95 in under 2 minutes, mile run in about 6:40 (6:50 on average). I am an 18-year-old girl, 5'6" and weigh a little over 150.
I used a 20 lb dumbbell for squats, did 45 lb seated rows, and 10 lbs in each hand for step-ups.
I only felt 'pushed' on the seated rows with that weight. These weights were suggested to me by the trainer at my gym, but I feel like I could easily go up on the squats and step-ups.

I want to make sure my technique is good, especially for squats and step-ups, because I had knee problems a few years ago from uneven muscles. I tend to let my knee bend in (step-ups) so I am watching int he mirror for that.

I'll post this int he NROL4W forums as well, but since I have gotten great advice hear so far, and y'all recommended NROL4W, i figured I'd post here too.

Also, am I supposed to be using barbells with added weights for the squats?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Suggested weights for deadlifts, dumbbell shoulder presses (military press), wide-grip lat pull downs, and lunges would be most welcome :smile:

Replies

• KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I did my first lifting today!! And I really liked it. Workout A took me about 30 minutes to complete.

Question 1: Do you all warm up before you lift? I did about 6 minutes on an elliptical. Good/bad?

I didn't yesterday, but I had been running errands all day. When I lift first thing in the morning, I will probably do a five minute warm up.

I did do another 15 minutes on the elliptical after lifting because I felt guilty that the whole workout only took 20 minutes.

Question 2: I was unsure about the weights I should be using. I am reasonably strong, but no superwoman, that's for sure. To give you an idea, my best (did these a few months ago) for push-ups is about 40 (have done over 50, but not lately), modified sit-ups is 95 in under 2 minutes, mile run in about 6:40 (6:50 on average). I am an 18-year-old girl, 5'6" and weigh a little over 150.
    I used a 20 lb dumbbell for squats, did 45 lb seated rows, and 10 lbs in each hand for step-ups.
    I only felt 'pushed' on the seated rows with that weight. These weights were suggested to me by the trainer at my gym

I used 20lb dumbells for squats and step ups and 15lb dumbells for rows.

I want to make sure my technique is good, especially for squats and step-ups, because I had knee problems a few years ago from uneven muscles. I tend to let my knee bend in (step-ups) so I am watching int he mirror for that.

I'll post this int he NROL4W forums as well, but since I have gotten great advice hear so far, and y'all recommended NROL4W, i figured I'd post here too.

Thanks in advance!
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I posted by answers under your questions . . . wish I could have highlighted or used a different font.
  • colleen3115
    colleen3115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    According to the book, you should be doing a warm up. I normally do about 10 minutes on the treadmill with a little incline. Enough to break a sweat.

Since you are doing 2 sets of each exercise, the idea is to pick a weight for the first set. If it is too light you bump it up for the second set. Eventually you with find YOUR sweet spot.
  • berthabunny
    Options
    I posted by answers under your questions . . . wish I could have highlighted or used a different font.

Thanks!
    When you say 20 lb dumbbells for squats and step ups, you mean a total of 40 lbs, correct?
  • berthabunny
    Options
    According to the book, you should be doing a warm up. I normally do about 10 minutes on the treadmill with a little incline. Enough to break a sweat.

Since you are doing 2 sets of each exercise, the idea is to pick a weight for the first set. If it is too light you bump it up for the second set. Eventually you with find YOUR sweet spot.

So I will up them and try it out. Thanks
  • lilvonne80
    lilvonne80 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Screw your trainer, If you want to start out heavier than go heavier. It is what is heavy to you. I usually do 25 min on the treadmill to warm up then I get it going. When I started I was pusing 15s on the dumbell presses and squatting just the bar. Now I'm at 25s bout to do 30s and I can squat 110. The other poster is right you will find your sweet spot gobble that up and move up again. I love upping my weights. and I love the challenge of trying another 3 to 5 pounds. Get Some!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm doing New Rules. I remember reading something like this in the book. If you are using the correct weight for the amount of reps then the last 1-2 reps in a set should be a struggle. If you end the set feeling like you could do 2-3 more then your weights are too low. I try to remember that as I do the workouts. I'm not sure the trainer at the gym could give you the appropriate amount to use for you unless he/she is specifically working with you during the session.

Also, for warming up, I don't focus on the amount of time, but on how warm my muscles feel. I also try to get my heart rate up to a fat burning range for me. Sometimes this takes me 3 minutes, sometimes 5. It just depends. Also, the book talked about warmups for specific muscle groups. I don't always remember to do this. But here's an example. You're getting ready to do lat pull-downs. Do a warm-up set that is less weight than you'll be using for your working set. I don't remember the percentage given in the book. But I try to find a number that allows my muscles to start feeling warm without me feeling like I'm pushing it. So if it were lat pull-downs I might do 10 or so at about half the weight of what I use when I'm doing my working set.
  • berthabunny
    Options
    lilvonne- Thanks for that, I think I needed to hear it. I can be way to soft when it comes to stuff like that :embarassed:

sweatpants- OK, I am definitely not using the right amount!! I kinda just took her suggestions and went with it. I could probably have kept going for a lot more than two reps! I will seriously up the weights on everything except the seated rows, which I might up a little. Good to know about the warming up specific muscle groups, I am used to cardio, so we just 'warmed up'. I will keep that in mind tomorrow for Workout 1B1, and form here on out.

Thanks ladies!