Best Place you like when doing the C25K?

Options
dxtra30
dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
Where do you find it best to do the C25K? Inside on Treadmill ? Outside Track? Outside Fitness Trail? Something Else?

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I did the program over the winter, so I did it on the treadmill. I kept the incline to "1" most of the way through as I heard that feels more like the open road. I'm glad I did because moving to the outdoors is hard and even with the training at an incline of "1", it felt a lot harder to jog outdoors than on the treadmill.

Are you just starting the program? Where will you be training? Outdoors or treadmill?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    For me, it has always been a matter of fitting it in. Treadmill or street, mostly. However, now that it's getting warmer and staying light out later, I'd like to incorporate some trail runs.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 and find it harder outside with inclines and stuff.. I find it easier on the treadmill however prepping for a Big Race in June so trying to determine which is best..
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have also only done mine on the treadmill as well at an incline of 2. I am a weather wimp since moving from Northern Illinois down South;) I hope to start outside more in the next couple of weeks. Last summer and fall before i started the c25k, I would do a walk/run through my subdivision, though it is FULL of hills! I might have to start out at the track at first.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoors. Typically training to prepare for some sort of an event. 5k races are usually outdoors so it makes more sense for me to do that. Completely different workout than on a treadmill. But I also live in a mild climate so that makes it easier too. If it was blizzard weather...i would find me a treadmill for sure.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I only run outdoors. I live in Sweden and the nature around is beautiful. I don´t care too much about the weather as long as it is not too cold less than -6C) or too much rain. Or if it is stormwarning, then I skip and do something else.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a treadmill, so I run outdoors. I run on a track or a trail, depending on the time of day and the weather. I've also began to do hill sprints, since I am preparing for a 5k mud run in May. I'm on w4d1.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Outside. I only do the. Treadmill when my schedule requires it. I started out trying to find parks and tracks to run at so I wasn't on cement (easier on my knees), but changed to pavement for convenience. I got fitted for shoes and so far have not had a problem. (well, just a little recently, with my heel when I am walking down the hill at the end of my workout, then it goes away, and it doesn't happen when I'm running down hills...)
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Outside, never even considered you could do it on a treadmill. I live in Scotland and did w4d2 last week in the woods with my dog, running through mud and ankle deep slush puddles, loved every minute of it. As long as it's not icy I'll be out running.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world I would only run on trails, because it makes me happy. But I've really only run on a treadmill this year. (I ran outside twice on strangely warm days) Where I live its still mid-winter. (-25 this morning) and the roads are un-runable. Trails won't be clear for at least another month. But I will run outside every single day that I can once its an option. I tried doing C25K last summer, and I found that 5am runs outside are wonderful.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I never step onto a treadmill if I can avoid it...it bores me to tears. I did c25k completely outdoors, mostly on roads but occasionally on trails. I 'graduated' about seven months ago, and currently my favorite place to run is the reservoir just down the street from my work. I change into my running gear right after work, drive over there and just run! It's about five miles to go once around it, but there are shortcuts if you want a shorter run. There's also a place in the back, about a mile in with a giant hill, so I can do hill repeats if I want too! It's absolutely perfect, and really beautiful, and I don't have to worry about traffic.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I don't have a treadmill so it's all outside for me. I run in our neighborhood and stay in the back areas mostly where there are less cars driving around, and there are lots of hills. But I must admit the neighborhood is getting boring so I might try going to a local park path on the weekends to switch things up.
  • doctorwhome
    Options
    I did the program last year and had to stop because of some stuff going on. I'm starting again and plan to do it all outside. For some reason, running on the treadmill isn't comfortable for me at all. Anyway, I think it's hard to transition from training on a treadmill to actual pavement for a race.
  • basicjim
    basicjim Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do the Zombie! 5K C25K program. The best motivation I have found is running after supper ( dusk into dark ) with a headlamp on the loop by my house. I live in the woods and run past a cemetary. THAT get's my heart pumping! When it says "Time to walk" there have been times when I have just kept running for a while longer!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I like the fitness trail, because you get a little of the experience of being on the road, but without the worry of traffic. I mostly run on the road though.
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do the Zombie! 5K C25K program. The best motivation I have found is running after supper ( dusk into dark ) with a headlamp on the loop by my house. I live in the woods and run past a cemetary. THAT get's my heart pumping! When it says "Time to walk" there have been times when I have just kept running for a while longer!

This is too funny! Of course you keep running...that cemetery is almost certainly home to a few zombies!

-Bob
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I live right by a trail that runs alongside a river for miles and it's a great place to run. It's absolutely beautiful, which gives me something else to focus on when I want to give up!
  • basicjim
    basicjim Posts: 69 Member
    Options

This is too funny! Of course you keep running...that cemetery is almost certainly home to a few zombies!

-Bob

SEE!! It's not just me! BOB knows to keep running too!! ;)
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Outside is definitely my preference...I have a great neighborhood for running including a tree lined stretch with babbling streams and deer. I love running in all weather, especially if there is a warm shower waiting for me afterwards! But I do whatever I have to to get my run in...ice i'm afraid of. I don't have yaktraks. When the roads are icy, I head to the Y which has an indoor track. I look forward to trying trail running once the snow melts. I live at the top of the Allegheny National Forest which has lots of great trails and logging roads.
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've never tried to run on a treadmill, but occasionally I will walk on one, but I hate the way I feel when I get off! I'm always dizzy and slightly disoriented. It takes me a little while to get over it.

I always just run in the street in my neighborhood. There are short segments of paved walking paths also, so sometimes I will cut off onto those for a while. I want to try trail running soon!