Beginner in Weight Training... Help

Options
My name is Sophia and I am new to My Fitness Pal. I am 26 years old from Brooklyn, NY. I'm 5'6, weight 164 pounds and would like to be about 150 pounds. I am a little out of shape and want to seriously get into strength training. I would like a well-defined body including a very strong core. Can I lose the fat while building muscle or do I lose the fat first? My fat is mostly in my stomach. I really don't want to lose my butt, just gain muscle while building a nice shape. I don't want to look too muscular, I want to keep a little thickness to me. I am looking for anyone that is basically on the same page as me. I would love some tips and I will definitely share some as well. Let's help each other reach our goals!

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hi Sophia - Great that you want to start strength training!! Basically, if you follow the NROLFW book, the idea is that you lose fat by eating at a deficit. Along the way you will preserve muscle and get stronger! You can't pick where your body will shed fat, hopefully all over. This is a very supportive group...happy to have you!
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Sophia - Great that you want to start strength training!! Basically, if you follow the NROLFW book, the idea is that you lose fat by eating at a deficit. Along the way you will preserve muscle and get stronger! You can't pick where your body will shed fat, hopefully all over. This is a very supportive group...happy to have you!

^^^All that, plus I would like to add that you should keep track of your body fat percentage vs your weight on the scale. Once you know your BF%, you can figure out how much fat you're losing, plus how much muscle you're building. I was so upset that the scale wasn't budging until I checked those numbers and realized I lost 5lbs of fat in 2.5 weeks!