looking for a little help, please!

Options
Dfracassa
Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
Hey, MFP friends, I need some help. I've been losing the same two pounds for like three months, and it's getting old. Aside from the past few days (I realize I did pretty terribly, but hell, it was St. Patrick's weekend...and all that) can someone take a look at my diary and let me know what the heck I'm doing wrong? I have had success in the past two months, don't get me wrong. And I know (way, way deep down) that those successes mean more than a number on a scale. But...I can't help myself. Anyone?

Replies

• shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi! I looked at your diary over the last 4 days just so you know where I'm coming from in the event that these are not typical days. The good news is you're not starving yourself. :) My pointers would be this: 1) make sure you are planning your day around your protein intake; I've found that doing this the other macros fall in line, 2) make sure you are eating at least your BMR daily, 3) I'm not sure what you're doing for exercise but it appeared that you had the same calorie burn daily. I would try to mix it up. When I first started I was doing cardio 5-6 days a week and was exhausted. If you are lifting I would try to mix that up and also incorporate HIIT with it. Change is good.

Hope this helps!

Erica :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking a diet break lately? When we are at cut for too long, the body gets used to the lower cals.
    How steep is your cut?
    Sometimes a diet break is really all it takes. Make sure you are having enough protein and drink enough water.

What is your exercise routine?
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    Hi! I looked at your diary over the last 4 days just so you know where I'm coming from in the event that these are not typical days. The good news is you're not starving yourself. :) My pointers would be this: 1) make sure you are planning your day around your protein intake; I've found that doing this the other macros fall in line, 2) make sure you are eating at least your BMR daily, 3) I'm not sure what you're doing for exercise but it appeared that you had the same calorie burn daily. I would try to mix it up. When I first started I was doing cardio 5-6 days a week and was exhausted. If you are lifting I would try to mix that up and also incorporate HIIT with it. Change is good.

Hope this helps!

Erica :)

Thanks!! First of all, THANK YOU for not saying I'm in "starvation mode." I knew if I talked to people in EM2WL I'd get good answers. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred, so that's why it's the same all the time. When I was on Level 1 it wasn't so hard, and I was able to add in my other workouts with it. But Level 2 is kicking my *kitten* and it's going on 6 days, so I've been too exhausted afterward to add in more cardio or weights. Once the 30DS is done, I'm going to get back to my cardio/weights and gym trips, and start running outside, as well as biking. So this is sort of an experiment, right now. I'm on a TDEE-25% cut right now, too, and it's usually okay. I'll work more on getting my protein up; my fiance thinks the same thing. Thanks again!!
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    Have you been taking a diet break lately? When we are at cut for too long, the body gets used to the lower cals.
    How steep is your cut?
    Sometimes a diet break is really all it takes. Make sure you are having enough protein and drink enough water.

What is your exercise routine?

What do you mean by a diet break? Like I should add in more calories?
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A diet break would be adding in more calories, and you probably already started one with St. Patty's Day weekend, so this might be a good time.
    As emonteiro said, plan your day around protein. I find that it helps sooo much! Eating more protein my energy levels have increased, and I now can go for hours without thinking of food (before EM2WL and more protein, I was one of those people who constantly thought about what I would eat next and how long I had to wait before I could eat it, don't know if you had that problem though).
    When I say more protein, you have to eat it every day! It really helps to be in the habit, and you start to crave protein-rich foods. When I hit 30%protein, I am usually around 155-160 grams of protein, which is more than my body weight.
    If you are exhausted after your workouts, maybe you are not drinking enough? Or missing a certain vitamin or mineral? I don't see any vitamins in your diary, but I don't log mine, so I know that means nothing :laugh:

That all said, 25% is a little steep...

ETA: I am soo sorry! I was looking for vitamins in by your breakfast, it didn't occur to me that you might have a separate spot for them. But I don't see a multi-vitamin anyways. And since you live relatively North, you can get a vitamin D deficit in the winter pretty easily, which influences my energy levels, but I don't know if that is universal.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    A diet break would be adding in more calories, and you probably already started one with St. Patty's Day weekend, so this might be a good time.
    As emonteiro said, plan your day around protein. I find that it helps sooo much! Eating more protein my energy levels have increased, and I now can go for hours without thinking of food (before EM2WL and more protein, I was one of those people who constantly thought about what I would eat next and how long I had to wait before I could eat it, don't know if you had that problem though).
    When I say more protein, you have to eat it every day! It really helps to be in the habit, and you start to crave protein-rich foods. When I hit 30%protein, I am usually around 155-160 grams of protein, which is more than my body weight.
    If you are exhausted after your workouts, maybe you are not drinking enough? Or missing a certain vitamin or mineral? I don't see any vitamins in your diary, but I don't log mine, so I know that means nothing :laugh:

That all said, 25% is a little steep...

ETA: I am soo sorry! I was looking for vitamins in by your breakfast, it didn't occur to me that you might have a separate spot for them. But I don't see a multi-vitamin anyways. And since you live relatively North, you can get a vitamin D deficit in the winter pretty easily, which influences my energy levels, but I don't know if that is universal.

You know, I could up my protein a bit -- I'm trying to eat better at night, which means chicken and vegetables like all the time. At least most days of the week. I have tried many multivitamins, and I find that they really mess with my digestion. I just don't like the way they feel. I could add another scoop into my morning protein shakes; I was only doing one scoop for all this time so it wouldn't push my calories up so much. But I think it's worth it to get 27 more grams, right? Thank you!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I took a look at about 2 weeks worth of your diary, even though your consistent (most days) your probably still not eating the right amount.. As was mentioned before, make sure your eating your BMR.. I think your probably just eating at your BMR level.. I didn't run your numbers but at 5ft 7 and 160 I am guessing its around the 1400-1600 mark and your generally eating 1600 daily.

Plateau's happen when your body adjusts to your eating/exercise schedule.. in this case I would suggest Increasing calories by 100-200 and see if there is any change.. (which would probably mean a 20% cut or less)

Most of us aren't going to talk about starvation mode and how bad it is (cause most of us have done the VLCD), but the bigger the deficit, the more muscle is likely to be eaten.. with your protein levels (which should be increased to 150 daily) I wouldn't be surprised if that has happened during your journey... Its hard to keep muscle and reduce bf% and the last thing you want is to be at 120 and 30% bf.. cause that means your journey will be much harder to get where you want to be.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think since you have a big deficit, the 27 grams of protein is totally worth it. BTW, what protein powder do you use, 27 grams i s way more than mine has!

I understand about the vitamins, that would turn me off of them too, I guess you have to get them the hard way then (I don't eat enough fruit and veggies)
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I think since you have a big deficit, the 27 grams of protein is totally worth it. BTW, what protein powder do you use, 27 grams i s way more than mine has!

I understand about the vitamins, that would turn me off of them too, I guess you have to get them the hard way then (I don't eat enough fruit and veggies)

Haha, yeah, I do need to eat more vegetables. We get the CytoSport vanilla whey powder from Costco, and it's 6 pounds for like $49. My fiance started buying it two years ago, and I started using it last year. I love it. It keeps me full all morning, and I love how good it tastes, just mixed with water.
  • Dfracassa
    Options
    I took a look at about 2 weeks worth of your diary, even though your consistent (most days) your probably still not eating the right amount.. As was mentioned before, make sure your eating your BMR.. I think your probably just eating at your BMR level.. I didn't run your numbers but at 5ft 7 and 160 I am guessing its around the 1400-1600 mark and your generally eating 1600 daily.

Plateau's happen when your body adjusts to your eating/exercise schedule.. in this case I would suggest Increasing calories by 100-200 and see if there is any change.. (which would probably mean a 20% cut or less)

Most of us aren't going to talk about starvation mode and how bad it is (cause most of us have done the VLCD), but the bigger the deficit, the more muscle is likely to be eaten.. with your protein levels (which should be increased to 150 daily) I wouldn't be surprised if that has happened during your journey... Its hard to keep muscle and reduce bf% and the last thing you want is to be at 120 and 30% bf.. cause that means your journey will be much harder to get where you want to be.

Okay! So if I'm trying to net 1750 and really only hitting 1600-1700 on a daily basis (with this past weekend not a good example) then should I just try to actually hit the 1750? Or add 100 more calories?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Okay! So if I'm trying to net 1750 and really only hitting 1600-1700 on a daily basis (with this past weekend not a good example) then should I just try to actually hit the 1750? Or add 100 more calories?

Yes you should eat whats left.. So 1750, no Green left :) If its easier and your doing a TDEE - cut% log your calories for exercise as 1 instead of the actual amount.. that way it won't adjust your total for the day.
    Try to hit your goal for 1-2 weeks and if still no movement.. Increase another 100.. if still no movement, guess what.. Increase 100. Gotta find that spot where something happens..
    OR
    As was mentioned take a diet/exercise break.. Stop exercising and eat at 1750 and see what happens as well.. you should see some movement at that point.
  • Dfracassa
    Options

Yes you should eat whats left.. So 1750, no Green left :) If its easier and your doing a TDEE - cut% log your calories for exercise as 1 instead of the actual amount.. that way it won't adjust your total for the day.
    Try to hit your goal for 1-2 weeks and if still no movement.. Increase another 100.. if still no movement, guess what.. Increase 100. Gotta find that spot where something happens..
    OR
    As was mentioned take a diet/exercise break.. Stop exercising and eat at 1750 and see what happens as well.. you should see some movement at that point.

Thank you! I will try the first thing. I'm about halfway done with the 30DS, so once that is finished I will take a little break and see what's what.