Paleo Passover

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
I'm on the hook to cook. My mom (aka Bubbie) is bringing her famous tasteless brisket and matza ball soup. I need to make everything else.

I'm going to pressure cook a chicken
Make chopped liver... Wish me luck. My meat grinder has never left its box.
Some sort of paleo macaroons

Need ideas for another side dish. Something kugel-ish. Normally my family eats some sort of sweet noodle casserole thing. I never liked it.

Dare I make paleo gefilte fish?

I'll buy matza. I won't even contemplate trying to Paleo-ify that.

Replies

• MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Make a crustless Quiche with sweet potatoes and sweet sausage. Jazz it up with some dried cranberries or raisins in it. Make some kind of a drizzle you can top onto it after you scoop it out of the pan...

Just an idea. :-)
  • LMG130
    LMG130 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No one ever just brings salad to passover, and I've never understood why!!
  • junebaby7
    Options
    There are several companies that make Paleo pasta. Maybe a more savory noodle kugel instead? I don't know exactly how you would completely modify it, but a spinach kugel made with Paleo pasta would be yummy! The spinach kugel I've eaten had sour cream in it, but I'm sure you could figure out how to convert the recipe.
  • caribougal
    Options

I know, right? Actually, my chef friend just gave me a recipe for a wonderful Lebanese salad she makes, so maybe I'll make that. It was soooo good.
  • caribougal
    Options
    Make a crustless Quiche with sweet potatoes and sweet sausage. Jazz it up with some dried cranberries or raisins in it. Make some kind of a drizzle you can top onto it after you scoop it out of the pan...

Just an idea. :-)

Hmmm, good idea. I'm not sure about sausage on passover, but maybe I make a good spinach crustless quiche.
  • caribougal
    Options
    There are several companies that make Paleo pasta. Maybe a more savory noodle kugel instead? I don't know exactly how you would completely modify it, but a spinach kugel made with Paleo pasta would be yummy! The spinach kugel I've eaten had sour cream in it, but I'm sure you could figure out how to convert the recipe.

There is a local company called Capellos that makes GF pasta. I'll have to look for recipes for a spinach kugel! Good idea.
    http://cappellosglutenfree.com/home

Thanks!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Google "Paleo Passover" and you'll find some ideas -- such as: http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-passover-recipes/
  • caribougal
    Options
    Google "Paleo Passover" and you'll find some ideas -- such as: http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-passover-recipes/

Thanks. I did see Elana's menu. I might try to do a variation of her chicken recipe but in the pressure cooker. I will use her recipe for the macaroons, and if I'm brave for the gefilte fish. I also like her charoset recipe. But wasn't crazy about her idea for kugel.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have seen recipes for paleo matzoh balls made with almond flour. I think Elana has one on her website. Also, what about making a kugel type dish with sweet potato instead of white? You can use coconut or almond flour as the binder. As for sides, veggies can be prepared so many ways, it doesn't even have to be paleofied. How about sauteed green beans with slivered almonds? Mashed cauliflower(a kugel sub perhaps?) Even roasted cauliflower is delicious or roasted brussels sprouts. I make a roasted sweet potato dish for thanksgiving that's delicious, but it does call for maple syrup. Basically it's cubed sweet potato mixed with melted butter, maple syrup, and orange juice, baked in the oven for 45 mins to an hour. It's so yummy.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

I know, right? Actually, my chef friend just gave me a recipe for a wonderful Lebanese salad she makes, so maybe I'll make that. It was soooo good.

Care to share the recipe?
  • caribougal
    Options

Care to share the recipe?

Fattoush Salad
    romaine lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, scallions, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and sumac. Smear your salad bowl with a couple of cloves of garlic.  Add everything else in and toss with the lemon juice and oil to taste.  
  • caribougal
    Options
    Ok, so my passover seder scheduled for Sunday was a bust. Pink eye and snow kept our guests away. I still cooked the chicken for the family and made quarts and quarts of bone broth. I bought chopped liver at whole foods since I was dying for it.

I also bought a carrot kugel at WF that was terrible, and some beet latkes that were great.

Faileo on the Paleo... I gave in and ate matzoh with the chopped liver, and then matzoh brei for breakfast. And a macaroon. Oh well.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    MMM...matzoh brei....haven't had that since I was a kid! Good stuff!
    Ok, so my passover seder scheduled for Sunday was a bust. Pink eye and snow kept our guests away. I still cooked the chicken for the family and made quarts and quarts of bone broth. I bought chopped liver at whole foods since I was dying for it.

I also bought a carrot kugel at WF that was terrible, and some beet latkes that were great.

Faileo on the Paleo... I gave in and ate matzoh with the chopped liver, and then matzoh brei for breakfast. And a macaroon. Oh well.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I saw the chopped chicken liver last night at WF and almost bought some! But I did't know what to eat it on...Does one eat chopped liver with a spoon?
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    They do have a gluten free/grain free matzah that is pretty good. I used it for matzah brie this weekend (not practicing, but I like my matzah brie... ).

http://www.amazon.com/Yehuda-Matzo-Squares-Gluten-10-5000-ounces/dp/B004DBVJRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364613848&sr=8-1&keywords=yehuda+gluten+free+matzo
  • caribougal
    Options
    I saw the chopped chicken liver last night at WF and almost bought some! But I did't know what to eat it on...Does one eat chopped liver with a spoon?

I treated and ate it on regular matzah. :wink:

You could eat it on flax crackers. A spoon seems pretty decadent. Lol.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I made Elana's charoset for our seder and it was a big hit for whatever it's worth. we used fresh blood orange juice instead of wine and I think it really added something :)