Ulcerative Colitis Surgery?

Options
Hello! I had a proctocolectomy with ileoanal anastomosis in August of 2011. Unfortunately though, I've have many many complications. Althought my j-pouch has only given me a problem once in the almost two years I've had it -- I actually had a surgeon who didn't do well with my surgery.

I developed peritoneal abscesses that turned into severe infections that attached to my organs -- and I was hospitalized for a grand total of 4 and a half weeks (one stay of 1 week, one stay of 2 weeks, and a few other 2-3 day stays).

I found myself, for the first time today, wishing that I could just go back to having UC. In the year and a half that I've been battling these problems that really didn't have much to do with the colectomy -- I've never let myself think "I wish I still had UC" -- growing up as a teenager with a GI disease was pretty tough, and I changed my mind pretty quickly. I'm still going in for, what I hope, is my last surgery soon.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from this surgery. In a lot of ways it has helped me. I just happened to have a bad experience and probably the biggest asshat of a surgeon you could probably find. It is worth it. It is helpful. Just do your research.

One of my biggest problems was that I didn't go to the hospital right away either -- I assumed everyone who went through surgery had this kind of pain. I was just being a baby -- I went an entire week suffering before I was forced to go into the hospital. So here are some signs that I have learned, if you have a surgery similar to this, to watch out for.

1. Most importantly, if you cannot hold down any liquids -- immediately go to the hospital.

2. If you start regurgitating "white foam" from your throat, as if your'e needing to spit, and its fairly common that is an actual sign of infection and another reason you should get that examined quickly.

3. Walk twice a day, but not too much in the beginning -- you can easily tire yourself out and make yourself sore and put you in more pain than you're already in.

4. If you have a home health nurse, as well as a piq line as well as an osteotomy bag (which you will most likely have the first 6 weeks) make SURE they empty and clean it for you. Doing it yourself not only stresses you out, but it can make you sick too, and its their job to do it. don't be embarrassed. Just make sure they're doing their job. We pay A LOT of money for home health care.

5. Keep up, of course as all of this, with your weight -- protein intake especially since it'll be hard to hold down much solid food for a while.

-- Once your'e recovered, is when you learn to re-eat again. Start off with high protein easy on your stomach foods and it helps you develop a routine with a bit of an easier "lifestyle" -- Greek yogurts, fruits, ect.

Good luck on your journeys! I know how difficult it is to lose weight with UC, especially if your'e on steroids, but its possible and we can all make it!

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the cautionary tale. I won't consider surgery or steroids until I'm dying. I watched steroids completely destroy my mother's health. I'm sure the rheumatoid arthritis had most to do with that, but it's the changes from steroids that I remember.
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    Yea I started steroids when I was younger and dealt with a lot of different medications. I continually got worse though, and it was a prettty much had to do. Its anyones decision -- but sometimes I relly do wonder if I would go back to it.
  • idaholawchick
    idaholawchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hang in there. I've had my J-pouch for 13 years now. First 2 years were horrible, next 3 years okay, but with a few problems. After 5 years, everything fell into place and its been great.