Reset questions

Options
Hey Team,

I just have a couple of questions.

1. Is a reset only counted from when you eat at full TDEE or does it start from when you started increasing calories?

I have been gradually increasing my calories to reach TDEE since December last year (2012), but it’s only the last 2-3 weeks that I have been able to eat back my total TDEE. So I’m just wondering how much longer I should aim to be eating at TDEE for. I know I should at least wait for my weight to balance out and to maintain (which it hasn’t yet so I know I’ve got a bit longer to go).

I’ve read that 3 months is good and so I was thinking of trying to aim for that but I’m wondering whether I will have to count from when I started eating at TDEE or if I can start from earlier? What has everyone else done? Also, how long should I maintain my weight for to indicate that my metabolism has balanced out?

2. Diet Breaks: I’ve reads about them a few times on this forum and the EMTWL site and I was just wondering whether this was something everyone did and how do they tackle them? I assume this is just a period of time of eating at maintenance in between eating at deficit? Or is it something else? Just wondering when they would do this? How long for? And what are the benefits?

I (currently) have about 9 kilos (20 pounds) to loose. Would the amount of breaks you take be based on the amount of weight you have to loose or have lost?

Appreciate the help with this!

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well done for upping your cals to TDEE.
    Count the reset from the time you ate full TDEE. And stick it out as long as necessary. For some 8 weeks might be enough, for others not. It depends on the individual. Wait for sure, until your weight has settled.

Diet breaks are important, so your body does not take your cut # as new TDEE if you stay in cut for too long. We recommend to eat at cut for 5-6 weeks, followed by one week of eating at TDEE. If you want to cut for longer, like 8 weeks, makes diet break for two weeks.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm just adding in a few more questions: How can I know my TDEE? I know I can calculate it. But still.. it's not MY real one.

And if my body is used to too few Calories my weight goes up, when I up my Cals, to my calculated TDEE and then I'm back at the beginning?

And, ya Noor, what do you mean by "Wait for sure, until your weight has settled."

I feel like I don't get this TDEE reset-thing, I'm sorry.
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I'm just adding in a few more questions: How can I know my TDEE? I know I can calculate it. But still.. it's not MY real one.

And if my body is used to too few Calories my weight goes up, when I up my Cals, to my calculated TDEE and then I'm back at the beginning?

And, ya Noor, what do you mean by "Wait for sure, until your weight has settled."

Sometimes you have to adjust the TDEE numbers just a bit. Make sure you are being realistic about your activity level. And be realistic about the calories you are logging. And yes gains will happen during a reset after eating very low calories, So When you start eating more your body will hold on to the fat longer because it is expecting you to start starving again, that's why you have to "wait for sure until your weight has settled " like Noor said. Then after the reset, you can begin the cut process to lose. I hope that helps!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    With waiting until the weight settles, I meant to stick your reset out, until you are not gaining any longer.
    Another sign to lok out for, is, when you do not feel stuffed any more all the time. Most poeple, when they up their calories, they feel very full. Once real hunger sets in, on your TDEE calories, it is a sign, that your metabolism is getting on well with the increased amount of calories.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes - the realistic about the activity level problem. I might need some help in that, too...

I find it so hard to define. Maybe I should open a new thread. Or maybe someone in here can help me. I just don't want to steal tsta's thread ;-)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Only by testing, and sadly only in one direction, though the other can confirm it.

You eat at an estimated TDEE, when you get to point of 2 weeks no gain, it could still be suppressed metabolism TDEE, or real TDEE. Going lower won't help on first potential, so you must go higher.
    So you eat 250 more daily for 2 weeks. If you were at real TDEE, you'd have 1 lb of gain. If lifting heavy, some muscle, some fat, but weight gain anyway.
    If you don't gain 1 lb, then you were not at TDEE, still may be higher yet. If you get partial gain, go another week until you hit 1 lb.
    3500 calories for that 1 lb divided by days to get it, that was surplus over real TDEE.
    And this can NOT be done starting a new exercise routine, which will have body improvements and gains associated with just that fact.

And yes you will gain weight if your current real TDEE is lower level, if fast it's water weight, if slow and steady and constant it is fat/muscle, if slow and diminishing it's your metabolism coming up to this new level.

The reason for reset - remove stress from your body associated with diet. One less stress, better results for recovery from a time you loaded body with lots of stress undereating too much.
  • tsta1350
    tsta1350 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks everyone, very helpful as per usual!

And don't worry dancerom, I'm glad you are joining my forum so I can get even more info!

Ok, So I'm going to aim to stay eating at TDEE for another 2 and a half months (until the end of May 2013) and (depending on whether my weight has sufficiently balanced out) I will then start cutting. It's funny how that actually doesn't scare me any more! I'm really enjoying being able to eat like a normal person. If you told me a couple months ago, that I would have to eat this much for this long I would have run away scared, but I'm actually happy to have a bit longer to really make sure my body is fully healed. I have my whole life to loose weight! Why not take my time, do it properly, in a way that is healthy and maintainable for the rest of my life?!

And I think the idea of a 'diet break' definitely makes sense. I will start scheduling this in to my eating plan.

Thanks again!