Newbie Day 1

Options
pixelled
pixelled Posts: 70 Member
I'm hoping to do a 2 week induction to jump start my weight loss. I have about 10 pounds to lose to get to my normal weight but then another 10 to get to my goal weight. I've been going up and down 7 pounds for the past few months so I feel like I need something dramatic. I'm a little nervous and not sure if I can do the full 2 weeks but that is my goal.

I hit the grocery store last night so I have all sorts of meats and eggs and veggies to cook up today. Anyone else just starting an induction phase or starting over?

Replies

• doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It might be difficult at first, especially if you get the "flu," but it does get easier. For me the first three days were the hardest, peaking on the third day craving-wise. I read though that it can take some people longer for their bodies to get used to low carb. Just hang in there. It does work and is the only way I've ever lost weight.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I agree, at first, going low carb was harder than I expected, especially since I have a busy schedule. But, it did get easier as it was a lifestyle change for me. Stick with it. You'll see results.

It was my doctor that suggested I should eat low carb. It's been the only way I can lose weight or maintain a healthy weight with exercise. I used the Atkins method as a way to figure out how many carbs my body can handle.

The hardest part for me was learning what foods to eat and how to cook low carb. I didn't have any cravings like some people experience, which is surprising considering I grew up eating PB&J's, cereal, pasta, fast food, and where potatoes and corn were the only veggies in existence. Thank God I didn't have cravings! I've made lots of specialty requests at my local grocery store for low carb options, which has helped a lot. The produce selection here is terrible.

I still struggle on my super busy days when I have to eat out. A Jimmy John's Unwich is the only low carb fast food option around here and I can only stand to eat so many of them. But, everyone has good days and bad days.

I'm past the induction phase, but feel free to add me as a friend to view my diary.
  • pixelled
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies! My biggest concern right now is work snacks. My office has a full cafeteria so I'll have an omelette for breakfast and a salad with grilled chicken for lunch. But no idea what I can bring in case i get hungry around 3ish. I'm thinking maybe some pickles and deli turkey.

Today is going great so far but I know it's the easy part (the first day :) ) For b-fast I had scrambled eggs and bacon. It was delicious and I'm still not hungry almost 4 hours later!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I snacked on a lot of pickles, pickle wraps and bell pepper slices with dip during induction. Cold shrimp in a snack bag is an easy item to bring with too. I love shrimp plain, but Old Bay seasoning or garlic butter sauce for dipping works well if you like to add flavor.

At least induction is only two weeks. Phase 2 is way easier for snacking. My favorite low carb snacks are almonds, light string cheese, cottage cheese with fresh ground pepper, low carb protein powder, berries, pickles and pickles wrapped in cheese and ham. I love my chocolate truffle protein powder mixed with almond milk. It tastes like I'm drinking Swiss Miss!

I've noticed my office's cafeteria adds a lot of cooking oil when they make my scrambled eggs, which adds a lot of unhealthy fat. Flour-less egg bake made on Sundays or scrambled eggs in the microwave are cheap, quick and easy options for breakfast at work.
  • Kate1217
    Kate1217 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm in the induction phase too. Finally getting out of the dreaded Atkin's flu part. It hasn't been so bad. The best advice I could give for starting out would be to have good protein options at all times and eat whenever you're hungry- not ravenous. That sounds obvious, but just keeping your blood sugar level makes it so much easier! Looks like we have similar weights/goals so hopefully that helps :)
  • daddybyday
    Options
    I take in a couple of olives (I like the blue-cheese stuffed olives), and of course cut celery (it's a foundation vegetable) with with a couple of tbs of blue cheese dressing to dip it in.

You'll find, though, that you won't have the urge to snack as often. Because carbs get absorbed into the blood more quickly, your stomach tends to empty out quicker, leading to those hunger pangs between meals. Because lipids take longer to digest, that doesn't happen. This week, and when I was on Atkins before, it was the norm for me, rather than feeling like I really needed a snack, to find myself fixing a meal even though I wasn't really all that hungry, but darn it, it's time to eat, and if I don't do it now I won't be able to for the next 5 hours!

You can also make yourself a muffin in a minute. Yummy, fiber-filled, and filling (sorry, I don't have the recipe on hand, but you can google it!).

Finally, I'd recommend going to the Atkins site and perusing the induction info. There are lots of helps there.

Best of success to you!

Peace,
    Tom
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I'm not on Atkins, but the beginning of my low carb journey was Gary Taubes and his diet plan is not much different Atkins induction. My snacks were things like salami, ham slices, celery, pistachios, almonds, things like that. 20 pistachios or almonds makes a good snack for me,
  • pixelled
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the great ideas! I'm keeping a list of induction-friendly snack ideas. And I agree that I won't have the urge to snack as much .. so far today I have not felt hungry at all which is unusual for me. I just want to be sure I have things at hand in case the urge arises, else I may grab something I shouldn't just to satisfy my hunger. :)
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey, good luck! I am starting back on atkins after a couple of months eating a more paleo diet. I found it didnt agree with my stomach so much so back to what works for me.
    Its hard getting into the routine, but as long as you are organised you will be laughing. Honestly thats the only advice you need - BE ORGANISED! : ) Getting caught out is what leads to failure!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hey, good luck! I am starting back on atkins after a couple of months eating a more paleo diet. I found it didnt agree with my stomach so much so back to what works for me.
    Its hard getting into the routine, but as long as you are organised you will be laughing. Honestly thats the only advice you need - BE ORGANISED! : ) Getting caught out is what leads to failure!
    I didn't do Paleo and mostly low carb but I have determined that I really need a true induction 2 week. I have been drinking wine and eating some carbs that are not helping me. I want to lose 7-10 lbs and should be able to accomplish this. good luck to you and I'm going back full fledge tomorrow ;-)
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I didn't do Paleo and mostly low carb but I have determined that I really need a true induction 2 week. I have been drinking wine and eating some carbs that are not helping me. I want to lose 7-10 lbs and should be able to accomplish this. good luck to you and I'm going back full fledge tomorrow ;-)

Hey, its good to do the full induction just to get yourself in the swing of things and back on track! Im planning on doing this at the start of April. Im going away from Easter and so Id rather start afresh after that. I was doing the Whole30 plan, but my stomach couldnt handle all the fruit and vegetables (my doc thinks I have IBS, just waiting for blood test results), so back to low carb . high fat I go!
    Alcohol is a killer as after a few drinks, or the next day your will power is gone!
    Although last time I did low carb I had the odd drink, just tried not to overdo it too much!
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great suggestions above. I love having jalapeno cheese sticks around. Also, I found that if I microwave a deli slice of muenster cheese for like 1:25 (I'm sure this varies depending on the type of microwave) it peels right off the plate and gets crispy after it cools. Full fat ricotta cheese is awesome too.

I just noticed everything I suggested is some type of cheese. Heh.
  • daddybyday
    Options
    There are lots of great suggestions above. I love having jalapeno cheese sticks around. Also, I found that if I microwave a deli slice of muenster cheese for like 1:25 (I'm sure this varies depending on the type of microwave) it peels right off the plate and gets crispy after it cools. Full fat ricotta cheese is awesome too.

I just noticed everything I suggested is some type of cheese. Heh.

Of course, cheese is awesome! I'm going to take note of your suggestions :wink: