Now let me get this straight...

Options
fruitloop2
fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
I just recently purchased this book and want to start doing the program but I want to get this workout schedule/program straight. For stage 1 workout...on the chart when it says...

......................... Sets ......................... Reps ............. rest
Squat
workout 1,2.......... 2 ............................ 15 .............. 60
Workout 3, 4......... 2 ............................12 ................60
Workout 5, 6 .........3 ........................... 10 ................ 60
Workout 7, 8 .........3 .............................8 ............... 60

etc.
etc.

I was a bit confused as to how this works and just want to clarify. So, I do the squats 4 times at 15 reps (2 each of exercise 1, 2), 4 times at 12 reps (2 each of exercise 3,4), 6 times with 10 reps (3 each exercise of 5, 6), and 6 times at 8 reps (3 of each exercise 7, 8)? Then with the alternating exercises it's the same thing but alternate between the 2 (B1 push-ups, B2- seated rows) doing sets 4, 4, 6, and 6 and same for C1 and C2? Is this correct? I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Also, approx how long does workout A and B take you to complete?

Also, on a side note...I currently am doing the JM RI30 and Shred with weights back to back for a total of about 1 hour. I do this in the afternoons 3 days/week (M/W/F) and was planning to do the NROL4W in the evening so I can also work out with my husband who is just getting back into weights after 13 years (he wants to get back into shape now that I'm getting all buff, lol). Is this to much strength training for 1 day? On the off days (T/TH or Sat) I do some sort of cardio work if/when my schedule allows it. A big thanks in advance!

Replies

• shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes. So your first workout you would do squats, squats, push-ups, rows, push-ups, rows, lunge, jackknife, lunge, jackknife. Or whatever those last 2 are, I just follow my little piece of paper, haha. Usually takes me about a half hour to complete each. I do think that's too much weight training, you need to give your muscles time to repair and heal. I'd cut out the JM.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/888593-stupidly-confused-stage-1

Eg Monday Squat (and rest of workout A) 2 sets of 15 reps
    Wed Deadlift (and rest of workout B) 2 sets of 15 reps
    Fri Squat (and rest of workout A) 2 sets of 15 reps
    Monday Deadlift (and rest of workout B) 2 sets of 15 reps
    Wed Squat (and rest of workout A) 2 sets of 12 reps (put your weights up yo!)
    Friday Deadlift (and rest of workout B) 2 sets of 12 reps

Etc etc

That thread above should put your right.

Dunno if your other resistance training will be too much - when I started I hadn't been doing much at all for ages, and NR really kicked my butt (in a good way). I find it a pretty good cardio workout too (heart pumping, heavy breathing) - I guess you should just see how you handle it. It is an awesome programme - I love it - just about to start stage 3 - I am loving the newbie strength gains I have experienced.
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    Check out this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/888593-stupidly-confused-stage-1

Eg Monday Squat (and rest of workout A) 2 sets of 15 reps
    Wed Deadlift (and rest of workout B) 2 sets of 15 reps
    Fri Squat (and rest of workout A) 2 sets of 15 reps
    Monday Deadlift (and rest of workout B) 2 sets of 15 reps
    Wed Squat (and rest of workout A) 2 sets of 12 reps (put your weights up yo!)
    Friday Deadlift (and rest of workout B) 2 sets of 12 reps

Etc etc

That thread above should put your right.

Dunno if your other resistance training will be too much - when I started I hadn't been doing much at all for ages, and NR really kicked my butt (in a good way). I find it a pretty good cardio workout too (heart pumping, heavy breathing) - I guess you should just see how you handle it. It is an awesome programme - I love it - just about to start stage 3 - I am loving the newbie strength gains I have experienced.

Ok, I'll check out the link...

So when it says workout 1,2 ....2 sets....15reps....it is meaning that workout 1,2 is 1 workout and NOT 2 therefore I only do 2 sets of 15 reps NOT 4 sets of 15 reps?
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    AAHHHHHHH...lightbulb moment! Thank you so much. That makes much more sense! Got it! Workout 1,2 = first and second time you do the "A" work out and so on and so on...Thanks again!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    wecome...looking forward to you joining our group.

edited as you already got the answer!