How many miles do you run in a week?

Options

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Running close to 20....

Interesting info from a recent study showing health benefits peak at lower mileage.

Regarding pace, individuals who ran six and seven miles per hour had a significant 21% and 27% lower risk of all-cause mortality, whereas those who ran eight or more miles per hour had a nonsignificant 7% lower risk of all-cause mortality. Running up to 20 miles per week was associated with a significantly reduced risk of death, with the largest benefit observed in those who ran between 10 to 15 miles weekly (HR 0.73; 95% CI 0.60-0.89). For those who ran 20 to 25 miles and more than 25 miles per week, however, there was a nonsignificant 10% and 5% reduction in all-cause mortality. Similarly, the mortality benefit was observed in individuals who ran two to five days per week, but the benefit began turning in the other direction when subjects ran six or seven days per week. At six and seven days, the reduction in all-cause mortality was not statistically significant.

Generally speaking, people that run 25+ miles per week aren't doing it solely for the health benefit.

Yes, and anyway, 10% isn't significant? It's pretty significant for the families of all those dead non-runners.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Running close to 20....

Interesting info from a recent study showing health benefits peak at lower mileage.

Regarding pace, individuals who ran six and seven miles per hour had a significant 21% and 27% lower risk of all-cause mortality, whereas those who ran eight or more miles per hour had a nonsignificant 7% lower risk of all-cause mortality. Running up to 20 miles per week was associated with a significantly reduced risk of death, with the largest benefit observed in those who ran between 10 to 15 miles weekly (HR 0.73; 95% CI 0.60-0.89). For those who ran 20 to 25 miles and more than 25 miles per week, however, there was a nonsignificant 10% and 5% reduction in all-cause mortality. Similarly, the mortality benefit was observed in individuals who ran two to five days per week, but the benefit began turning in the other direction when subjects ran six or seven days per week. At six and seven days, the reduction in all-cause mortality was not statistically significant.

"Interesting info from a recent study showing health benefits peak at lower mileage. "

You are making statements about morbidity yet all of your stats pertain to mortality. They are very different, though connected, items.

Not my words they are from the study http://www.theheart.org/article/1410943.do
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Everyone should run as many miles as they see fit.

For those of us interested in racing half marathons & marathons, 25 miles per week isn't going to do it.
  • Excaliber63
    Options
    I feel like quite the under achiever ... however most of you seem to be training for something. I generally do around 15 - 20kms (9.3 - 12.5mi) a week, however for the first time I have ramped up for my first 'half' so doing around 30 - 35kms(about 20mi)

After that I will stay with my lower distances to keep a level of fittnes. BTW .. definitly agree with 'go with your body'. You have to know your limitations!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Everyone should run as many miles as they see fit.

For those of us interested in racing half marathons & marathons, 25 miles per week isn't going to do it.

totally agree
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As much as I need to accomplish my goals.
  • RunnerTML
    Options
    I run about 4 days a week with the addition of 1-2 days of strength/cross training. So, I usually get anywhere between 20-30 miles of running a week.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I was up to around 25 per week when I was training for a half. Then Lyme disease and a torn meniscus made running a bit difficult. I'm starting to ramp up for training for Tough Mudder, a few halfs, and a full marathon. Working on the 10% rule, and I'm about 7-10 miles right now a week. Cross train at least three days a week in addition.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    between 40-70 when I am healthy. I am coming back from a god awful injury.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I tend to run about 20 miles per week when not training. I am doing a HM in September but I have a 100k walk in June, so at the moment I am strength training, walking around 10 miles per week and running my average15-20 miles. I also have 3 kids, lead a beginners run club, work and am studying my PT course. After my 100k I will be focusing on my HM and will be running 2 short (5k) 1 mid (6) and one longrun a week (10+miles) this will see me fit to run my half in a respectable and enjoyable time. I am no professional, I just train to my ability.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes , some of you run impressive (if not crazy) weekly milage. I am currently training for my first full marathon ( I am not new to running and have done several half marathons over the course of the last 8 years), but now I am wondering if I am running enough. I only run 3 days/week. Last week I did 4 miles (hills), 5 miles (speed) and 18 miles (distance). That's a total of 27 miles and is pretty much my average throughout my training. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I be running more?
  • alanlmarshall
    Options
    Holy smokes , some of you run impressive (if not crazy) weekly milage. I am currently training for my first full marathon ( I am not new to running and have done several half marathons over the course of the last 8 years), but now I am wondering if I am running enough. I only run 3 days/week. Last week I did 4 miles (hills), 5 miles (speed) and 18 miles (distance). That's a total of 27 miles and is pretty much my average throughout my training. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I be running more?

Your hill or tempo run should be a little longer, imo, 6-10 miles cycled through your schedule, 6 one week, 10 the next, for example. About 25-30 hard training miles is good for a first marathon, varying from week to week for recovery. Mix in some 12-15 mile long runs with the 18-20s.

Are you cross training? If not, you should 2 or 3 times per week with moderate intensity. Some believe base miles are important and do more miles and less cross training for that reason. Opinions vary, but too much running could risk injury, particularly for the relative novice.

If you do choose to run more, do the additional miles at an easy pace. Again, 25-30 hard training miles a week is optimal according to most.

I don't think high weekly mileage is impressive. The right number of miles for you (not someone else) to train optimally, no more, no less, that will be impressive on the day of the race.

Best of luck with your training. :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Are you cross training? If not, you should 2 or 3 times per week with moderate intensity. Some believe base miles are important and do more miles and less cross training for that reason. Opinions vary, but too much running could risk injury, particularly for the relative novice.

If you do choose to run more, do the additional miles at an easy pace. Again, 25-30 hard training miles a week is optimal according to most.

I don't think high weekly mileage is impressive. The right number of miles for you (not someone else) to train optimally, no more, no less, that will be impressive on the day of the race.

Thank you for the advice. This makes me feel much better. In addition to running, I do 2-3 days of hot yoga, pilates, or P90X upperbody or core workouts. I usually take 1 day of total rest. I will try to extend my weekday runs, especially now that there is more daylight. I hesitate to add additional days of running because I don't want to make any drastic changes this late in the game and risk injury. My marathon is 5 weeks away.
  • alanlmarshall
    Options

Thank you for the advice. This makes me feel much better. In addition to running, I do 2-3 days of hot yoga, pilates, or P90X upperbody or core workouts. I usually take 1 day of total rest. I will try to extend my weekday runs, especially now that there is more daylight. I hesitate to add additional days of running because I don't want to make any drastic changes this late in the game and risk injury. My marathon is 5 weeks away.

To clarify, cross training is cardio. It is to build cardiovascular endurance without wearing out your running muscles. But you are probably right, you may not want to make any big changes now.

Also, speed work is usually 5 or 6 miles including warm-up and cool down, so I wouldn't change that.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I at least do 70 miles per week. I plan to increase that soon since I want to do a constant 6 minute miles for the disney full and reggae half
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 20-25 per week working up to a 10K, I will then begin to train for a HM, which is scaring me. Not that I can't do it, but finding the time to run with my work schedule. Either way, I will get there. :)

Happy running everyone!!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Running close to 20....

Generally speaking, people that run 25+ miles per week aren't doing it solely for the health benefit.

I was waiting to see 'not statistically significant' since significance testing depends on sample size. There are just not enough people out there that run over 100 miles a week in order to draw an accurate sample from this population. Hence, this may make this study statistically biased and invalid.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was in the upper 20's for 1/2 marathon training and will be low 40s at the peak of marathon training.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I run 4x/ week 20-40 miles/ week.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm typically around 40. Need to start pushing that up to 50+ as I add miles to my long runs, I've got a 26.2 coming up in Oct