To Log or Not to Log? That is the question.

Options
TS65
TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
So, I'm wondering if I should be logging. I'm finding I'm planning my meals and doing well coming in where I should be, but often under. When I'm under, I find myself trying to add foods to bring up my calories - even if I'm not hungry.

I've only been at this for about 2 months, so I'm not sure I'm where I need to be to adequately determine everything - but the trust of the matter is if I keep doing what I'm doing (and not sneaking in processed foods), Is there a need to log?

Whole30 says you shouldn't log. But then I'm still kind of stuck in the MFP mindset of calorie in, calorie out. Honestly, I find it stressful and time consuming worrying about what I'm eating - even if I'm planning ahead and know what I can be eating in a day.

Thoughts?

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I quit logging when I started getting more into paleo and definitely don't log when I'm doing a Whole30 (although thinking about it for curiosity sake when I do my next one). I don't let my logging affect how I eat, but rather use it as a tool to know what I eat. Does that make sense?
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I logged for 3 days during Whole30 and I found that it was very easy to stay under my calorie goal. Now that I'm doing more "paleo-ifying" foods, like breads and such, I am tracking because I find that it's easy to go over. I also didn't lose as much weight as I expected on the Whole30 so I'm trying to figure out what my sweet spot is with weight loss. Logging just helps keep me aware of what I'm doing.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I log right now, but I don't plan on doing it forever. When I feel comfortable that I can judge portions and macros without counting I'll move on, probably shortly after I begin maintenance.
  • hopeful0131
    Options
    Honestly, I find it stressful and time consuming worrying about what I'm eating - even if I'm planning ahead and know what I can be eating in a day.

Thoughts?

Am I understanding correctly, that you are getting stressed out about the logging... constantly having to measure & think about every morsel you put in your body? Yes, that gets tiresome. Especially if you feel like you've got a good handle on eating "correctly" to meet your goals.

I hear you about eating extra food even when you aren't really hungry. I realized that I was doing this, too, and when I really started to think about it, I find it ridiculous. It is completely un-natural, (IMO) to be eating the exact same amount of calories every day. **I understand that many people need to do this here, and it works great for you!** But in my case, no, every day is not the same... I do different workouts, I get different amounts of sleep, I am under different amounts of stress, I have different activity levels, I eat different foods that have different effects on my body... So I decided, some days I may be higher, some days I may be lower... and the tracking had to GO for me.

My suggestion would be to give yourself one week without tracking, and see how you do. By the end of that week, you will know if you are actually in a good place to trust yourself to listen to your body and follow its signals. You will either feel pretty great about it, or you will be very ready to "get back on track" with MFP.

I also just wanted to say that I LOVE your picture/avatar thing -- I actually noticed it last night and laughed and told my husband about it. :)

Good luck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I log right now, but I don't plan on doing it forever. When I feel comfortable that I can judge portions and macros without counting I'll move on, probably shortly after I begin maintenance.

Me too. I log for now to make sure I get enough fat and limit certain foods such as dairy, fruit, etc. Once my health problems are fully resolved, including my excess body fat, and I have maintained for a length of time, I will stop logging. I have to keep my fat high and my carbs low and if I wasn't logging, my carbs would creep up and my fat would creep down, and then I would be back to struggling with hunger, craving, binging, etc. Even without the grains, too much sugar, even from fruit, totally derails my health and weight loss progress.

Edit: But if the logging stresses you out and it isn't useful for you, then by all means, stop logging! As long as you are eating adequate amounts of protein and fat, then you won't over-eat, and you will lose weight.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I'm not at my goal weight. Why would you stop if your not in maintenance? I would really like to know!
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options

Me too. I log for now to make sure I get enough fat and limit certain foods such as dairy, fruit, etc. Once my health problems are fully resolved, including my excess body fat, and I have maintained for a length of time, I will stop logging. I have to keep my fat high and my carbs low and if I wasn't logging, my carbs would creep up and my fat would creep down, and then I would be back to struggling with hunger, craving, binging, etc. Even without the grains, too much sugar, even from fruit, totally derails my health and weight loss progress.

Edit: But if the logging stresses you out and it isn't useful for you, then by all means, stop logging! As long as you are eating adequate amounts of protein and fat, then you won't over-eat, and you will lose weight.

I agree! I think if I don't log and I'm unaware, I just fall because I tend to fool myself into thinking I'm doing better than I am. Which is probably why I can never lose weight!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I'm not at my goal weight. Why would you stop if your not in maintenance? I would really like to know!

I rarely venture away from what I know I can eat. I am also limited , due to gastic bypass back in 95, on the amount I can eat in one sitting. As such, my days are really consistent with my eating (read that as I tend to stick to the same recipe for meals - e.g. 3oz protein + a veggie). The biggest issue I have with it is that I'm actually ADDING food even when I'm not hungry just to meet my numbers. It seems counter intuitive to be chowing down a bunch of miscellaneous food at the end of the night to try to meet my calories and macros. Isn't the point of Paleo/Primal that if you are eating nutrient dense meals, you shouldn't need to track because you'll be fine without it. *just thinking out loud*

If I did feel the need to eat outside of primal or paleo - I would definitely log to see much a meal would throw me off - BUT... as long as it's not a daily (or even weekly or monthly) occurrence, in the long run it shouldn't make much of a difference.

**Edited to add: I haven't paleo-fied any recipes and don't really plan to. My meals are mostly grilled or baked protein with a veggie. Snacks are nuts. Pretty KISS basic.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I too am struggling with this dilemma. I find sometimes logging helps me stay on track and sometimes it make me obsess, which in turn makes me hungry.
  • Scar1964
    Scar1964 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No logging for me. What's the point? I'm eating better than I ever have and logging bores the hell out of me.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I log as I want to keep my calories in check. Before logging, I was still eating good foods but just too many of them!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I log everything because I'm concerned about meeting my protein and calorie goals. I'm still overweight, and trying to change my body composition, so for me, logging is pretty vital. If I was at a normal weight, hormones were functioning properly, and didn't question whether or not I was getting enough protein, I'd probably NOT log.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I log to make sure I get enough protein and fat. I find it's even more important since I am banned from exercise post surgery. Once I am not restricted, it won't matter as much. It's hard t o self moderate when you are used to eating like an athlete, and then aren't anymore. I didn't want to gain weight back in the interim.