My Life is so miserable: Chapter 22

Options
Simple6
Simple6 Posts: 170 Member
"I remember when the Lord spoke to me during one of my "pity parties." He said, "Joyce, you can be pitiful or powerful, but you cannot be both." Joyce Meyers

My Dear Friends,

As I read this chapter I realized that I had already made this choice by the simple fact of how my personality developed. My natural personality is impatient. Impatience doesn't like parties! For me, feeling sorry for myself is a waste of time. You will not find me attending pity parties willingly. Impatience doesn't like to waste time. When I was younger this translated to having a tough attitude. You know, the pick yourself up and keep going type. The problem was it got me going but often in the wrong direction and with the wrong motives.

However, not all personalities develop the same. Wouldn't you know it, my patient husband came to me with a Master degree in pity parties. Needless to say, we have had many battles over this. Very ugly! The larger the pity party He would throw, the more I would ignore him and actually think less of him. So, although I didn't tend to throw pity parties, I experience pity parties by proxy.

What God had given me, was man who is loving and gentle and kind and all I could see is this pity party area. Boy, was the plank truly in my eye, but I was trying so hard to clean the speck out of my husband's. See, pity parties are bad but even worse is judging those who do so with a prideful attitude. That was me and still is at times. It always is and always will be me that needs to change....because that is the only person I can change and the one who needs it the most.

Joyce writes, " It is amazing how easy it is to stay out of self-pity if we look at the other person's side and not just our own. Self pity is supported by thinking only of us and no one else. God will not deliver you by your own hand, but by His. Only God can change people!"

I am the one who needed to change. What a challenge to me, to submit to God as my husband learned about pity parties. I would like to write, that I do a great job at this, but then I would have to repent for lying. I don't do a good job at this at all. In fact, I consider this a perfect place for the scripture that says, "His strength is made perfect in my weakness." It is a place of great faith for me. What I am learning is to ask God for His perspective of the moment. Instead of being angry at being forced to be apart of Gabriel's pity party. I get to seek God for His plan. It is amazing what happens when I allow God to lead me. I begin to see the holes in my husband's heart that need to be filled. I see the hurt that caused him to respond this way. I begin to understand how empty he must be feeling. In that moment is my opportunity to Godly love. In fact, God has equipped me with the healing love that my husband needs. If I focus on Gabriel, his needs and mine will be met supernaturally by God. But if my focus is on how stupid it is that he is upset about this or that, then war will break out. Satan wins and we each lose. I lose my opportunity to grow in love. Gabriel is hurt more and I have to go around the mountain yet again. Yet, when I let God help me choose the right focus, my heart changes from harshness and judgment to kindness and compassion. God will use me to minister the comfort and support my husband needs, in words and expression that touch his heart. Peace reigns and victory comes. We all win and Satan loses! Love is expressed and the supernatural comes into reality. This is my heart desire but still very much a work in progress for me. As I allow God to change me, it helps my husband in his own transformation. I become a helpmate instead of a hinder-mate.

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you esteem and look upon and be concerned for not [merely] his own interests, but also each for the interests of others.

Pity traps our focus on ourselves and strands us in the past. It disables God's ability in our life. Not because He isn't greater but rather because we chose to stop His flow. God said HE would take care of us and He will. Joyces writes and I strongly agree with it, "Self pity is perverted, because it is taking something that God intended to be given to others and turns it in on ourselves." However, it is how we are taught to deal with ourselves. It is the human way of dealing. When we try to met our needs, we are saying to God, "You aren't great enough or care enough to take care of what I need. So I will fulfill my own needs." Getting our needs met becomes our true focus and actual place of worship. We use our strength and ability to do that. But God has a new way. A better way.

Isaiah 43:18-19

18 Do not [earnestly] remember the former things; neither consider the things of old.

19 Behold, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs forth; do you not perceive and know it and will you not give heed to it? I will even make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.

I am learning to let God do a new thing.....to change my prideful response to pity parties. He is faithfully making a way through this emotional wilderness for me, but also for my beloved husband. The places in our relationship that had become wasted through hardness of heart and pits of woundedness have become rivers. Rivers filled with His living water that flows through our beings and touches each others hearts. No more pity parties but instead parties of His power, His restoration, His refreshment.

Replies

• Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Jenni: I admittedly have not read this chapter, but my heart is so touched by the humanness you allow yourself to display, and your openness about your spiritual shortcomings.

Question: Where is the scripture/verse "His strength is made perfect in our weakness." I would truly like to know.

I love the following phrases (not verbatim):

My harshness and judgement are changed into kindness and compassion.
    "Becoming a helpmate instead of a hindermate."
    "Pity traps our focus on ourselves and strands us in the past." < This one in particular. I think I have been stranded in the past for years.
    I was not WILLING to let go of my self pity over my past. I CHOSE to hold on to it because it was COMFORTABLE, it was something I KNEW.
    Letting go means I have to FORGIVE, which takes WORK..WORK that requires me to really examine myself in a deeper way than I was COMFORTABLE with.
    But now, I need to let go of the self pity. I am tired of being trapped in the past.

Father, I come to you with the knowledge that I am not able to rid myself of this self pity without you. It is deeply rooted into my life since childhood, but Father, you can help me. You are the only one who knows all the hallways of my heart and mind. You have all the keys to the double locked doors. Unlock them Father, fling them open and shed your LIGHT, the TRUTH on all areas of my selfish heart. Father, I humbly ask for your forgiveness for using the past as an excuse not to move forward and live the life you have planned for me. Father, please close the doors of my past, and zI will follow you faithfully through all the doors you open. Hold your hand out Father, and I will hold it as you guide me into the present, and then the future.
    Thank you for being so patient-In JESUS name..Amen,
  • Simple6
    Simple6 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh Nicolette,

How my heart understands being trapped in self pity. Although, I don't usually throw pity parties, there have been specific hurts in my life that I used pity parties to soothe. As I began to experience healing in those areas, the Lord spoke this to my heart: SELF PITY IS ONLY AS GOOD AS MYSELF......I could not receive God's compassion and healing to the extent that I was depending on myself. My self was broken and shattered. My self 'comfort," could never compare to God's. This is still a process I am growing in.

So, I just stand in agreement with your prayer and commend you for your humble heart. Here is what God's word says about a humble heart:

Matthew 5:3 (KJV)

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

What is the kingdom of heaven?

Romans 14:17-18

King James Version (KJV)

17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

Romans 14:17-18 (AMP)

17 [After all] the kingdom of God is not a matter of [getting the] food and drink [one likes], but instead it is righteousness (that state which makes a person acceptable to God) and [heart] peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

18 He who serves Christ in this way is acceptable and pleasing to God and is approved by men.

That is you, my friend. Because you have humbled your heart in this, you now have right to His righteousness, His peace and His joy. I am believing that His kingdom would present in you, so that you realize it. That you would begin to feel His peace about these situations, His joy and most of accept His righteousness. That as you are processing, that your Self pity will be turned into Godly compassion. May His strength be made perfect in this area of weakness for you and may it be so for me too.

:love: Jenni