Question about Phase 1

Options
made2wonder
made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
Hi, folks,

The IP program is available through my doctor's office, and I considered it once before, but the brochure said that a person is on Phase 1 until reaching 90% progress toward the goal weight. I thought that if I were on Phase 1 that long that I would become a hideous, raving witch, so I decided to try to lose on my own. Unfortunately, I am making so little progress on weight loss that I'm afraid I will have to consider a more drastic plan. Any thoughts on the length of Phase 1? Is it hard to keep going when there's no end in sight to it?

Replies

• dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am on phase one, and have been since October 25, 2012. So 4.5 months basically. I haven't found it difficult at all. I have had a couple of days where I made not so good choices, like at Christmas, but honestly, it's not that bad.
    I do see the end in sight, even though I am only 1/3 of my way to goal.
    I figured it would take me about a year to lose 120. I am on pace for that.
    It's only one year. Not a lifetime. And the payoff is sooooo worth it!

I couldn't do this on my own. I NEED my coach guiding me every step of the way. I also need the accountablility of weighing in each week.

When I started, I had decided I was only going to "try it for one month" I haven't looked back!
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks, dsjsmom. A year seems like a long time, but I guess if I were actually seeing some good results, it would be a lot easier to take.
  • reformation1
    reformation1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good question to ask yourself is 1) How long did it take you to gain your weight? and 2) is it worth another year of not being happy with yourself?

A year goes by so quickly! Ideal Protein is gratifying and you are never hungry. You see results every week if you follow the program.

It's pretty simple!! Go for it!
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I opened my first packet of IP food I thought I was going to starve. Straight. Up. Starve.

But, because everything has that extra protein in it I find it so much more filling. A bowl of IP soup with my 2 cups of veggies is a really filling lunch, especially with my unlimited lettuce.

Just be aware that IP allows NO room for cheating. My first two go arounds I would lose between a half a pound to a pound a day. Every time I'd cheat I would have a 3 to 5 pound gain (depending on what I ate) two days later.

If you do this, you really need to make sure that you follow protocol and phase off properly.

Good luck, whatever you choose!!
  • dsjsmom23
    Options
    Thanks, dsjsmom. A year seems like a long time, but I guess if I were actually seeing some good results, it would be a lot easier to take.

I bet you would be at goal in less than a year. If you are trying to lose 60, you have half to lose as me. It's taken me 20 weeks to hit 50.2 pounds lost.

My best friend has lost 52.4 since Oct 1. She is >< this close to goal! She has only got to lose about 5 more if that.

It is SO doable.

If I were you, i'd sign up and give it your all for a month. Set yourself a deadline. You have to do it though. If you still arent happy after a month, then phase out and do something else.

You'll never know unless you try.

And like a PP said, you have to give it your ALL. There is NO room for cheating on this diet. It's definitely an all or nothing thing. LOL

Good luck!
  • mikesgirl71
    mikesgirl71 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The time flies by! I started in October and am already down 69.2 lbs and 67 inches. It hasn't seemed like a long time at all to me. Good luck!!:happy:
  • amandasdoremus
    amandasdoremus Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I am in week 2 and I skim the blogs everyday for all the tips and tricks I can soak up. After 10 years of Weight Watchers, I really feel like Ideal Protein is what is going to work for me. I just have to learn how to handle stressful times without running to food.
  • dsjsmom23
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I am in week 2 and I skim the blogs everyday for all the tips and tricks I can soak up. After 10 years of Weight Watchers, I really feel like Ideal Protein is what is going to work for me. I just have to learn how to handle stressful times without running to food.

I am a former "weight watcher" I did have success one time on WW. I have found IP is WAY easier for me, and I am having much better success on the program.
  • FatIsNotGood4Me
    FatIsNotGood4Me Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't think it'll take you a year, well it depends how much you have to lose, the heaviest the more weight you drop in the beginning, give it a try, you can always switch to a program that fits you better.
    I did WW before but I find IP to work faster, no workouts on p1 and you just follow the sheet.
  • aliciadub
    aliciadub Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose, too (100 pounds). My doctor asked me to break that down into three separate goals, and set myself up mentally to lose 30 pounds initially. This helps a lot, believe it or not. I guess it's kind like that old adage - "How do you eat an elephant?...One bite at a time." I've lost 13 pounds. 17 to go. Almost halfway done with my first goal. And honestly, it gives me confidence to believe I can meet my second and third goals. Hope it helps.
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    At about 10 lbs/month, time goes by SO quickly on IP. It's nice not getting on the scale weekly and having my [WW coach] condescendingly try to convince me that I'm "still heading the right direction' when I only see a half-pound loss.

There really is no halfway with IP - it's go big or go home. It's strict, but actually seeing the results on the scale and in my clothing makes it easier to keep motivated.
  • dsjsmom23
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose, too (100 pounds). My doctor asked me to break that down into three separate goals, and set myself up mentally to lose 30 pounds initially. This helps a lot, believe it or not. I guess it's kind like that old adage - "How do you eat an elephant?...One bite at a time." I've lost 13 pounds. 17 to go. Almost halfway done with my first goal. And honestly, it gives me confidence to believe I can meet my second and third goals. Hope it helps.

I break mine into 25 pound chunks. I have (HAD) over 100 to lose, and that's overwhelming.