Stronglifts 5x5 and Keto

Options
desiv2
desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
I'm a newbie to keto, rounding up week two right now, and in Mid-March I plan on starting the stronglifts program (Have to get the equipment first!). I have planned on this a long time, even before deciding to go keto.

My question is, do I need to change to a TKD or a CKD during this program? Anybody have good results, and how exactly is it done? There is so much information when googled, I get a little lost, anyone have a good link to some good straight forward information, that would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• gtslow
    gtslow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I brought up the same discussion yesterday on /r/ketogains and there is tons of great knowledge there. You will probably have a few good weeks of "beginners gains" as your body is getting used to the lifting movements. After that you can slowly introduce some PWO carbs (TKD) if you feel the need. I am going to start taking a pre-workout supplement on lifting days of about 15-20g carbs total to see if I can see a big difference. Other people have suggested just drinking a cup of black coffee with some coconut oil and that works for them.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I figure ill start without and if I feel like I need to ill try something like what you do.
  • dappijue
    dappijue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since January, and I have stayed on a strict keto diet. I've just added weight every week instead of every workout since I'm not getting tons of protein. I would rather focus on losing fat and then put on muscle, but keep doing it so I am at least gaining a little bit of strength. I haven't had any trouble doing it this way and have made gains in the amount I can lift, although again it is taking me longer than if I was doing a CKD or something.
  • gtslow
    gtslow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think if the primary goal is weight loss one should do their best to stay in a SKD diet. I have been on the road the past 3 weeks for work and did not bring my pre-workout powder. Nevertheless, I was able to keep up with my 5/3/1 lifting plan and put up some decent reps on my primary lifts. That being said, I did feel really burned out when i went to my accessory lifts and wanted more than the 2 minute break between sets I allotted myself. Once I get back on my home scale and measure my body fat with calipers we'll see how the past 3 weeks have gone, but so far I am sure I didn't gain weight.
  • NicLyn
    NicLyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was working out with weights prior to starting keto, and I have continued the entire time I have been on it. Other than the first week/ keto flu tiredness I haven't had any problems. I make sure to have protein as soon as I'm done. Just ease into it, and I think you'll be fine.