END the STIGMA

Options
Trying to decide best how to start this off…….(please note – some of you may get offended, to those who get offended you have two choices, unfriend me or stop reading) – ENDING this mental illness stigma is personal!!!

In light of recent events surrounding those with Mental Illness; we now add another life lost early - Mindy McCready. Dr. Drew Pinsky stated his opinion how the stigma associated with mental illness played a huge role that ended her treatment early; the choice to start or stop therapy falls solely on the person seeking treatment – but if a person stops treatment because of the horrible stigma associated with it – have you done anything to cause that persons demise OR have you done something to help him/her recover.

I have Bi-Polar, let me say this again – I have BiPolar - been treated since March 2007, take my meds and see my Psychiatrist every few months. So to those who may have known me back when I was in my mid to late teens/early 20’s and/or when I first started with symptoms …… remember how I acted - maybe it was because of UNTREATED BiPolar – that I acted that way. The HARDEST element I’ve dealt with in my life in accepting MY BiPolar is forgiving myself for all the times I’ve acted wrong, hurt my loved ones, family or friends AND also accepting the fact I am NOW dependent on medication to make my life better. I can’t undo what I’ve done, I can only move forward and change what I can.

If someone acts “gooney” because of low blood sugar – we accept them. Why is it that people will accept a diabetic or cancer patient with open arms – but someone with mental illness carries a mark more evil than “666” – ask yourself the next time you hear about someone acting “crazy” or see someone acting out in or more of the manners below – what have you done to help – or – did make things worse?

Common symptoms of bipolar depression include:

Feeling hopeless, sad, or empty, Irritability, Inability to experience pleasure, Fatigue or loss of energy, Physical and mental sluggishness, Appetite or weight changes, Sleep problems, Concentration and memory problems, Feelings of worthlessness or guilt, Thoughts of death or suicide.

Common signs and symptoms of mania include:

Feeling unusually “high” and optimistic OR extremely irritable, Unrealistic, grandiose beliefs about one’s abilities or powers, Sleeping very little, but feeling extremely energetic, Talking so rapidly that others can’t keep up, Racing thoughts; jumping quickly from one idea to the next, Highly distractible, unable to concentrate, Impaired judgment and impulsiveness, Acting recklessly without thinking about the consequences, Delusions and hallucinations (in severe cases).

So if you know ANYONE at ANY age that has symptoms like this – even more so if these symptoms seem to cycle – what are you doing to help? Are you ignoring them, do you say quietly behind his or her back “What a psycho”, or “Damm Generation X or Y” or “what a dork”, etc, etc – or maybe you want to help but don’t know how. What can you do to help – do the research, look, listen, observe. ANY of us can be a shoulder to cry on or ear to listen.

If you read this to the very end and are not offended by this – forward this, share this to as many people as possible – the ONLY way to bring about change and END the stigma is for YOU to be that change.

P.S. I have a son with Autism – yes ENDING this stigma of mental illness is personal to me – if you are a friend of mine – it should be personal to you.

Replies

• SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i too have bi polar disorder. and as an aside, i say i "have" bi polar, not that i "am" bi polar. it should not define us. it is something we have, like diabetes, or heart disease. i have had it since i was 12, i've been treated since i was 24. i'm dependent on medication, and i have no qualms about sharing my story with people. i have no stigma about it. i hope that i can help people end the stigma they have about it.

the saddest thing for me to see is people not being treated because society looks down on us. if i can help just one person on their journey to be well, i will have done my job. thank you for writing this, because it is too true that people like us are not being treated because society has deemed us outcasts. i fight everyday to change that. i'm glad you are on the right side.

the more people we get on our side the better things will be for those of use with this horrible disorder. get the word out, we are people too, we deserve a voice.
  • quiet0mind
    Options
    i don't tell people in my "real life" about my bipolar because when i have, i usually get treated as though i have some inoperable brain tumor and they treat me with kid gloves. then, every time i have a normal bad mood they get a little wary of me, like i'm going to flip out or something. i am on great meds but it doesn't mean i'll be chipper or not have actual feelings or moods, ugh!

i think what annoys me the most is to most people it seems that there is just one stereotypical version of bipolar that we all fit into. we're either dangerous or violent or seriously unstable. i had a coworker tell me that so and so is bipolar, and i kind of laughed and she said "no seriously, she is a wack job" and it's just super frustrating. so that's why i keep quiet, i just don't want to deal with the stigma and the stereotypes and the gossip. anyway, thanks for posting this!
  • newki
    newki Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hell Yes! Way to be said. I'm so tired of people treating me completely different or just washing the fact that I bipolar like it's nothing and I should get over it. the people I live with have a hard time understanding or supporting my need for a routine and scheduled sleep- they just think I'm over reacting or something. In reality these types of behaviours are what help with the symptoms, because any small amount of side stepping out of what :should: be, is something that topples my tower over. I don't use medication because it is far too hard on my body.. and that makes people think I'm not getting any treatment. :/ I didn't think it would be so difficult to get it across to people.
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't have bipolar, but I have my fair share of other mental health issues and the same holds true for those as well. I'm fortunate enough to have family and friends who are willing to remind me that seeking mental health treatment is no different than wanting to know that my asthma is under control, but I also have family members who question why I'm in therapy and why I'm on medication.

OP is right on all count, though this is the point that hit home hardest for me:
    The HARDEST element I’ve dealt with in my life in accepting MY BiPolar is forgiving myself for all the times I’ve acted wrong, hurt my loved ones, family or friends AND also accepting the fact I am NOW dependent on medication to make my life better. I can’t undo what I’ve done, I can only move forward and change what I can.

I haven't been able to make that peace yet, and having family members who question why I'm seeking treatment doesn't do anything except keep my own doubts about myself alive (though guess who I probably learned them from...). In my case, it is probably fair to say that the mental health stigma and how it is expressed in my family is ultimately the cause of some of my current mental health issues. Yes, the ADHD is biological, but I'm now learning that the way I viewed myself pre-diagnosis -- and the source of my anxiety, heightened perfectionism, and past depression -- is the result of having some of those negative assumptions directed inward without even realizing it (since I'd never dream of treating someone else as harshly I tend to treat myself).

Everyone needs compassion and support regardless of their state of mental health. It's such a shame that so many psychology terms have made their way into the popular parlance with such distorted meanings that people who legitimately deserve such diagnoses can't escape that common misperception.