BAD KNEES

Options
Good Morning, I've always wanted to try Zumba because I loved dancing years ago (in the club)! I have a total knee and the other knee is bad! Is there any options for me and Zumba? I'm scared to try without knowing that! Thanks!

Replies

• scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for a about a month and a half at home. I try to do it 5-6 days a week and walk a mile (just started this two day ago) 3-4 days a week. I have a torn LCL so when doing Zumba I wear a brace on that knee. I have been doing very well getting my work out in and keeping in step with the Activate dvd. If I feel my knee is getting weak then I will slow down to low impact. I have been doing great so far. I have gone down about 2-3 inches in my waist. I started on MFP in January. May not be a big difference to everyone but it is a huge difference to me. Before I looked like I was about 8 months pregnant. I have lost about 10 pounds so far.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, I've always wanted to try Zumba because I loved dancing years ago (in the club)! I have a total knee and the other knee is bad! Is there any options for me and Zumba? I'm scared to try without knowing that! Thanks!

I can only tell you what I would do. Have a doctor take a look at your knees. If there is deterioration the last thing you need is an impact exercise. Water aerobics will be best if this is the case. If the doctor clears you for Zumba, take Zumba Gold. It is going to be a slower pace and lower impact as it is designed for seniors. It will get you in shape so you can switch to Zumba. Another thing I would do is look for a licensed Zumba instructor who is also ACSM certified. It doesn't mean they necessarily have more knowledge than whoever is teaching the first zumba class you pick, but it is a guarantee they know a lot about the human body and how to avoid injury. Anyone with the ACSM has studied very hard to earn it.
  • xbloomerbrigade
    xbloomerbrigade Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees too, mostly to due with my weight (but I am cleared to exercise). I do zumba 1-3 times a week. I just modify some of the moves. I can't do the jumps and some of the things twist my knee in a way that really hurts. So I just have to do what I can. I will march in place to the beat mostly and follow the arms till we're doing legs that I can do without injuring myself. Zumba is a lot of fun. But I agree about checking into things with your doctor to make sure that you should do something like zumba. If you get the green light, don't be ashamed to modify things for yourself. It's a ton of fun!
  • keikei08
    keikei08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The wonderful thing about Zumba is that you can do it at your own pace and modify the moves to fit your needs. I definitely recommend consulting your physician if you have a problem with you knees and check into wearing a brace whenever participating in an activity that requires alot of impact