Bulletproof Coffee - recipe calls for 4 cups?

Options
2»

Replies

• hopeful0131
    Options
    what is this bulletproof coffee????? I am out of the loop!!!

signed
    huge coffee drinker

Coffee with a small amount of healthy fat mixed into it. Some people add MCT. Energy and satiety without an insulin response. Google the term and you'll find a website. I ordered the site owner's toxin-free coffee. It was good, but too expensive for me to continue using.

As you can see, people are adding much more than a "small amount" of healthy fat. ;) I am no longer counting calories on Paleo/Primal, but the way I understand it -- this fat is going to be used as fuel, NOT stored. The idea is to load up on these healthy fats with your coffee first thing in the morning, and enjoy being more satisfied the rest of the day.

jenna, check out the bulleproof exec website that comes up when you search... it is really interesting, and seems to be quite the "new thing".

I've been having it twice a day for about a week now, just using the coconut oil, ghee, and organic coffee I already had here. I don't get shaky from my coffee at all anymore... which is great. I think the major increase in fat has really helped my moods, too. Can't say much for energy at this point, as we have all been sick with a virus for a few days, which feels like an eternity. I am at that point where I don't even remember what it feels like to feel good. :(
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks guys!!! I'm al over this!! yumm!! I figure out the numbers for my 10 oz morning coffee :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    what is this bulletproof coffee????? I am out of the loop!!!

signed
    huge coffee drinker

Coffee with a small amount of healthy fat mixed into it. Some people add MCT. Energy and satiety without an insulin response. Google the term and you'll find a website. I ordered the site owner's toxin-free coffee. It was good, but too expensive for me to continue using.

It's relative. I don't believe there's a canonical recipe. A guy came up with it after hiking in Tibet or somewhere after being given a drink with yak milk. If I added the amounts of fat usually recommended I wouldn't have room for much else .

I'm also not convinced that eating that much fat is healthy. I tend to exercise prudence.

As you can see, people are adding much more than a "small amount" of healthy fat. ;) I am no longer counting calories on Paleo/Primal, but the way I understand it -- this fat is going to be used as fuel, NOT stored. The idea is to load up on these healthy fats with your coffee first thing in the morning, and enjoy being more satisfied the rest of the day.

jenna, check out the bulleproof exec website that comes up when you search... it is really interesting, and seems to be quite the "new thing".

I've been having it twice a day for about a week now, just using the coconut oil, ghee, and organic coffee I already had here. I don't get shaky from my coffee at all anymore... which is great. I think the major increase in fat has really helped my moods, too. Can't say much for energy at this point, as we have all been sick with a virus for a few days, which feels like an eternity. I am at that point where I don't even remember what it feels like to feel good. :(
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I didn't have my regular cup of BP this morning in preparation for the Whole30 I'm going to start Sunday or Monday. I made mine this morning with 16 oz coffee, 4 TBS high fat coconut milk and 1 TBS MCT oil. I liked it and will be switching over to that, at least during W30.
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of this and have been using a good dollop of heavy cream each morning. Since cream is considered a fat in Primal- isn't this sort of the same thing? I find that the cram tames the bitterness of the coffee and also fills me up and gives me energy from the fat. Curious about the butter/coconut blend though... can anyone explain the benefits of this rather than cream? Thanks!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of this and have been using a good dollop of heavy cream each morning. Since cream is considered a fat in Primal- isn't this sort of the same thing? I find that the cram tames the bitterness of the coffee and also fills me up and gives me energy from the fat. Curious about the butter/coconut blend though... can anyone explain the benefits of this rather than cream? Thanks!

I'm not a big Paleo person, but I've had bulletproof coffee several times over the last six months and have practiced Intermittent Fasting. Cream is considered an equivalent. I've used cream, as well as Kerrygold unsalted grassfed butter and Spectrum coconut oil.